Stall at the summer fair-good idea??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherp

Reaction score
Hi there fellow geekettes. I have been a member on this site for a few months and have found your threads both amusing at times and very intuitive. Although I have given my humble opinion on a couple of occasions, I have not started a thread, but now could do with a little of your advice.
After working in business management in Canary Wharf for about 10 years, I got fed up with the rat race and decided to re-train in Beauty & Holistic Therapies, something which I love and never regretted.
I have converted an extension to my house into my salon and am now ready to begin trading in earnest. My yell.com advert has just gone live and my website is currently being created.
Sorry, cut to the chase……. my son’s school is having a summer fair on 4th July and I have the option of a stall. I was thinking of offering a taster Indian Head Massage, Mini Manicure. The aim is more to promote my business, giving out price lists etc than to make lots of money but wonder what fellow geeks think, good or bad idea? Should I charge, if so what should I charge? How long should my taster session last and include?? Anything else that you think may go down well????
So many questions, please help
icon_eek.gif

Heather

Hi Hun,
Yes go for the stall, but use it more for handing out leaflets.
Maybe a file and polish, but don't get into doing a treatment, unless you have a model for the day, as anyone wanting a head massage will get a bit miffed if you have to keep stopping to hand out leaflets or discuss treatments.
Offer a discount to anyone who books on the day........Remember to take your appointment diary with you.
Good luck, I hope you get lots of bookings.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

Hell yeah!
I do all the local school/church/village fetes and it really helps with getting your name out there.
The treatment I offer is a free hand massage. It gives me an opportunity to tell people what I offer, it's v relaxing, and it's short enough so that I can get lots of people in. As it's free people don't mind that I may have to stop to talk to punters, and I invariably end up with a queue of people. People always love a freebie, and really, how much does it cost to a do a little hand massage?
You may not get loads of bookings on the day, but it's not really about that, it's more about raising your profile locally. Make sure you have flyers, brochures, or business cards with you!
Have fun - it's knackering and you'll have lost your voice by the end of the day!

Thanks girls, I like the idea of a hand massage, just thought Indian Head might attract a few people who had often thought about it but not taken the plunge. I have got a couple of "assistants" to help give out leaflets etc. and I was going to have various info leaflet and salon pictures scattered about. I like the idea of the discount for bookings taken on the day. I was going to have 20% off for first visit voucher but wonder whether I should change it now to encourage people to book on the day.

As well as using these kind of events as an opportunity to hand out leaflets & talk to people, I find they are great for generating leads.

I've mentioned before on other threads but the best way to do this is to run a competition & offer a good prize to encourage potential clients to leave their details.

You need to include a bit at the bottom to get permission to send them further info but you will generally find those that leave their details are those interested in your services. Which means if you do send them a newsletter or whatever at a later date they are more likely to respond.

On a law of averages if we get 20 entries for example I know that 10-15 will actually come in the salon & from that we will end up with about 6 regular clients.

So should you do the event? Hell yeah :green:

That's on top of clients that are encouraged to book in that evening at the event.

Latest posts

Back