Starting a new business with a friend

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel89

Rachel
Reaction score
Me and my friend are thinking about starting a business from home. We're both qualified in level 2 beauty and she also is a qualified nail tech. We would like some advice how you started and where to begin. Thanks in advance [emoji8]

My advice is, go it alone.

What are the advantages of starting a business with your friend if it's from home? Who's home? What if one of you is incredibly busier than the other - how will profits be split?

If you do go in together, get a shareholders agreement drawn up by a solicitor.

Don't do it

I don't have experience of this situation however I know a friend of mine would like to work with me.
As much as we are friends I don't think she is professional enough and it would be an issue.
It could also be the end of a good friendship

My husband is in a business partnership, he works hard the other person does not, very frustrating

Personally I'd keep friendship and business separate. Friends are gold and its not worth stressing the friendship. IMHO.

You both are as driven as each other. We are splitting the profits equally. We not here to be rich just aslong as we get some penny's between us we're going halfs on everything aswell. She's a good friend and we have been thinking about this for a while ourself. I just didn't know how do we go about starting it up x

Myself and one of my closest friends are just about to open the doors to a business together...the only thing is I'm a hairdresser and so is she but I now do beauty....so she will do all the hair(bar my current clients and hair extensions as this is one of my best trades) but this is why it will work she does hair I do beauty...i don't see how both doing beauty will work? Who takes what clients? How is wages split?

To start you just start. Make sure you have relevant insurances and tell HMRC and that's about it. Start advertising and you're up and running.

However, would agree with all that's been said. I would personally go it alone.

Good luck

Vic x

Whose home are you working from? You might need permission and/or a treatment license from your council.

You will need to tell your home insurance company too and may need to change companies.

Hmrc need to be informed that you are starting a business.

I would make sure you have a contract in place for your peace of mind, so you agree on how profits are split, how you pay for stock, holidays, if one of you is ill on your day and what happens if one of you doesn't want to do it any more. Especially for the person who doesn't own the house x

Latest posts

Back