Starting college in September !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah so u have alot behind u then, excellent! I'd love to be able to do more- but I want to concentrate on hair 1st and then see what happens next :-D

I have just had my uniform delivered .... Soo excited now hehe!! Just to try it all on again and if the college ones I tried on are anything to go by I'm going to have to tKe the trousers up a fair bit lol ! The joys of being a short arse hehehe!

Xxxx

Omg,I havent even ordered my kit and I start on the 17th! That seems such a lot for the kit....I think my kit works out at £145 and I know it includes dryer and straighteners as my tutor said, but I have no idea what else it includes as there is no list on the website! I was told to just check the list when it came to see if everything is there....which I think is a bit wrong.. Id like to know what Im buying first thanks! I havent even ordered my uniform either yet, Ive been so busy with tanning and my nail course, I need to get myself in order.

I really cant wait to start now, Im REALLY looking forward to it. :) My friends cant wait until I can do their hair.

Anyone actually started yet?

Ah so u have alot behind u then, excellent! I'd love to be able to do more- but I want to concentrate on hair 1st and then see what happens next :-D

I have just had my uniform delivered .... Soo excited now hehe!! Just to try it all on again and if the college ones I tried on are anything to go by I'm going to have to tKe the trousers up a fair bit lol ! The joys of being a short arse hehehe!

Xxxx

Just a mid life crisis i think and trying a few things out!!- my trousers I was able to order in a 29inch leg so perfect cos I'm only 5ft 2!! Lol. Bit disappointed as ordered and paid for cardigan, delivered my name badge but cardigan out of stock until November!- hopefully I can just wear my own!!. Xx

Hi Emsie
Yes, I started this week... we have already played with temp spray in colors, washed/blowdried each others hair and Friday afternoon we will be cutting the hair of our training dolls! There's no hanging about at my college :eek:

Goodluck to all those that have'nt yet started!

I enrol tonight and start the 19th :)) im soo excited! Xxx

Hi every one!! Im a Newbie to this thread!!

Well i started college this week - Monday to wednesday was induction week and the timetable for the course starts next week.

I was expecting thi sweek to be a little "dull" with health and safety and so on but actually we have really got stuck in!!

Even to the point of bringing homework hom eon Monday!! We did blowdrying on training heads on tuesday then learnt the correct procedure for washing. The wednesday we washed and blow dried each others hair, it was fab.

Im so excited about next week, Tuesday morning is the start of the real stuff n first period is practical!! cant wait.

Im a bit confused now tho, as reading on here im concerned this course isnt going to get me where i need/want to go?

Im on the level 2 VRQ Dimploma in Womens hair dressing for 2 years. My college no longer offers the NVQ level 2 but another student mentioned when we return Sept 12 for the secons year we study for NVQ in the second year??? im noiw very confused!!

Im 24 years old with 2 small boys, the course has cost me £1200.00 then £250.00 for the level 2 kit + £50.00 for uniform. Im then gonna have to pay £30.00 to get my dermatitis certificate as well, now im worried its all for nothing?

Good luck to every one who just started or is starting next week. x

Hi everyone - I start my VRQ Level 2 (part-time) this week at Oldham College - I did my NVQ Level 1 there (they don't do NVQ Level 2).

I am a qualified Solicitor but the recession has killed my profession (that sounds like a rap song!) and at 41 I am going for it.

I completed NVQ Level 2 Beauty as well the other year whilst waiting for jobs to come up in the legal profession ... still waiting but would love to open a salon eventually (hair and beauty).

Looking forward to the course but mostly looking forward to getting out of the house :)

Hi Emsie
Yes, I started this week... we have already played with temp spray in colors, washed/blowdried each others hair and Friday afternoon we will be cutting the hair of our training dolls! There's no hanging about at my college :eek:

Goodluck to all those that have'nt yet started!

Hi WW, sounds like they certainly don't hang about! I hope my college don't either :)

Hi everyone - I start my VRQ Level 2 (part-time) this week at Oldham College - I did my NVQ Level 1 there (they don't do NVQ Level 2).

I am a qualified Solicitor but the recession has killed my profession (that sounds like a rap song!) and at 41 I am going for it.

I completed NVQ Level 2 Beauty as well the other year whilst waiting for jobs to come up in the legal profession ... still waiting but would love to open a salon eventually (hair and beauty).

Looking forward to the course but mostly looking forward to getting out of the house :)

Hi happymand! I also start at Oldham this Saturday on the part time course.. Is that the same one as you? It's the VRQ units level 1 and 2 :)

Was due to start at Southampton City college tomorrow night, but a mix up means I'm now starting on 20th Sept. I'm really looking forward to it!!

Good luck to all those starting this week :)

Was due to start at Southampton City college tomorrow night, but a mix up means I'm now starting on 20th Sept. I'm really looking forward to it!!

Good luck to all those starting this week :)

Good luck!- I started at SCC last night!- really enjoyed it but loads to learn and so much paperwork given!!- back in wednesday! 

well just checking back, seems everyone is now starting to start :D

Ive just got in from my 1st day... and I enjoyed it soooooooo much.!! Can not wait to go back thursday. We had our little introduction bit this morn, a tour of the college (well main bits such as the rooms we will be using - and the cafe..haha.! ) got shown our salon room etc then after lunch had a Theory lesson which covered shampooing (which to use for what etc) and what not... Our lecturers are REALLY nice so im really looking forward to getting stuck in. We were told we could go to Salon International with the college (they arrange 3-4 coaches to take students) so Im hoping to go to this. We were told our 1st exam would be next month on Shampooing, so really getting started :D

Hope everyone else enjoys their 1st day as much as i have :D

xxx

Good luck!- I started at SCC last night!- really enjoyed it but loads to learn and so much paperwork given!!- back in wednesday! 

Thanks Vaughany - I may get to see you if you're doing evenings! :D Glad you enjoyed it!! Hope Wednesday goes well too.

Currently having a drama trying to fit everything back in the kit-bag after having a look at it all! Found I had the wrong kit parts too! LOL! All sorted now.

Did you take your full kit with you to your first lesson?

Well done too to gemglitz, glad you're enjoying it! :D

Thanks Vaughany - I may get to see you if you're doing evenings! :D Glad you enjoyed it!! Hope Wednesday goes well too.

Currently having a drama trying to fit everything back in the kit-bag after having a look at it all! Found I had the wrong kit parts too! LOL! All sorted now.

Did you take your full kit with you to your first lesson?

Well done too to gemglitz, glad you're enjoying it! :D

Hi yes I'm doing Monday's and Wednesday evenings- what about you!- got the kit in ok- left one head out as didn't think we'd need 2.

There loads to learn though!- xx

I'm due to do Tuesday and Thursday evenings :(

Yes good plan about one of the heads, I've got to say they scare the living bejesus out of me! :D Creepy looking things!

Roll on next Tuesday evening :)

Let us know how lesson2 goes!!

I'm due to do Tuesday and Thursday evenings :(

Yes good plan about one of the heads, I've got to say they scare the living bejesus out of me! :D Creepy looking things!

Roll on next Tuesday evening :)

Let us know how lesson2 goes!!

Good luck!- is that level 1?- the heads are pretty ugly! Lol. Last night was fab- practical evening. We were told to practice on each other, whatever we liked!!- a lady i met last year said you can cut mine!- I was so nervous.- nearly backed out but the lecturers are amazing and talked me through the process- showing sectioning etc!!- I did it!!/ all block layers and layers around the front!- ( was all one length prior) she was delighted and I felt "I can do this!!" it was brilliant. I'm on holiday next week so gotta wait until the following week- can't wait. Best if luck for next week for you. Xx

Hi, just wanted to say you guys are infectious lol, I started college wednesday with the same plans to work around my kids when i finish although theplan was to go mobile, I was told in no uncertain terms that this would be such a bad idea i was left wondering if worth bothering but after confirmation that i can (as on benefits) work voluntary in a salon and reading all your enthusiastic threads made me remember why i wanted to my course so thanks and good luck

Good luck!- is that level 1?- the heads are pretty ugly! Lol. Last night was fab- practical evening. We were told to practice on each other, whatever we liked!!- a lady i met last year said you can cut mine!- I was so nervous.- nearly backed out but the lecturers are amazing and talked me through the process- showing sectioning etc!!- I did it!!/ all block layers and layers around the front!- ( was all one length prior) she was delighted and I felt "I can do this!!" it was brilliant. I'm on holiday next week so gotta wait until the following week- can't wait. Best if luck for next week for you. Xx

Cool I'm glad you're having fun, and how brave to do your first cut in your first practical lesson!! :D Oooh lucky you and your holiday! Have fun!

How have you found parking down there? Last time I did a course there, there was a nice big student carpark, when I visited the other day, there's a housing estate on it!!! LOL!

I'm doing the Level 2 Certificate in hair techniques, so I'm guessing it probably is the old NVQ1 one (TBH I didn't see NVQ1 on their website). It's the basic course before I can do NVQ2 proper though.

Good luck to everyone else starting this week/next week!

Started my nvq 2 today; really enjoyed it ... Started with an induction then straight on with blow drying ... Anyone else started today?

Hi all,
Am currently looking to pick up hairdressing again after 30 years in the business on and off. Has anyone any experience of any fast track courses in Birmingham Uk or surround.
Many thanks:?:?:

Latest posts

Back