Starting out and need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missrighty

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm going to be training to do eyelash extensions and lash lifts and eye brows and on completionI will receive a certificate to enable me to get insurance for either mobile or at home therapist.

Im then going to to my level 2 and 3 in beauty starting September for the next couple of years with the goal of opening up my own salon.

But will I be able to carry out and get insurance doing the eye lashes and brow treatments with just the initial training certificate as it doesn't cover my own salon for insurance - just mobile and home.

I hope this makes sense as it's hard to explain what i mean LMAO

Apologies if I haven't understood your question properly, but it sounds like it would be a good idea to check with the main beauty insurance companies like Salon Gold, Professional Beauty Direct, Towergate, ABT etc to see if the actual course you are doing is recognised and insurable. There are a lot of courses out there that provide a certificate of attendance rather than of achievement and you could find the insurance Level offered is limited, which from how you've worded your post, sounds as if this could be the case for your course/s. hopefully this isn't the case though, but if it is, I would really recommend that you look elsewhere to train with a company that offers you a fully accredited and insurable qualification/certificate at the end otherwise you'll end up having to pay to re-train.

Apologies if I haven't understood your question properly, but it sounds like it would be a good idea to check with the main beauty insurance companies like Salon Gold, Professional Beauty Direct, Towergate, ABT etc to see if the actual course you are doing is recognised and insurable. There are a lot of courses out there that provide a certificate of attendance rather than of achievement and you could find the insurance Level offered is limited, which from how you've worded your post, sounds as if this could be the case for your course/s. hopefully this isn't the case though, but if it is, I would really recommend that you look elsewhere to train with a company that offers you a fully accredited and insurable qualification/certificate at the end otherwise you'll end up having to pay to re-train.

Ah sounds like you have answered my question as the company have said the certificates are recognised by abt and towergate. But it does only state for mobile or hone therapist.

Maybe that is because I need a whole different insurance obviously for my own salon etc .

Ah sounds like you have answered my question as the company have said the certificates are recognised by abt and towergate. But it does only state for mobile or hone therapist.

Maybe that is because I need a whole different insurance obviously for my own salon etc .

I don't know if this helps but I'm insured by Salon Gold. I have Beauty Therapy Levels 2 & 3 including Nail Enhancements (at college) and I have also studied lash Lifting, Brow treatments, spray tanning and various other nail courses independently (so similar to what you are hoping to do, although I did Levels 2 & 3 first) and all the courses I have done are fully insurable whether I am mobile, home or salon based.

Your training company have admitted you can only get insurance to work from home or mobile after completing their courses, so if you are planning on working in, or setting up your own salon in the future I really would recommend you find courses that are fully insurable. It really is worth paying more for high quality training in the long run if you are serious about making a career out of it and not just a hobby on friends and family. If you can't get proper insurance you could find yourself in a lot of trouble should anything go wrong.
Sorry, I appreciate this isn't what you want to hear, especially if you e already booked the course/s, but I know I'd want to know if it was me.

It's usually a condition of a salon policy that every therapist holds a recognised level 2 or 3 qualification, or is a student working under supervision. The only type of policy that doesn't require this is a home/mobile type.

Once you complete your level 2 qualification including eye treatments, your lash extensions and lash lifting attendance certificates will normally be acceptable to your insurer on a salon policy.

Unfortunately you won't be able to check this until you've qualified. There isn't any way to be certain what will be available/possible in the future.

Latest posts

Back