Struggling with Shellac application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth T

Reaction score
Hi folks. I recently completed my Cnd shellac beginners and have been practicing a lot on a few people and colour pops as well but I'm really struggling with my application. I'm ok with my pep and feel quite confident with that aspect especially since I purchased some tweezerman nippers and a currette from ellisons. But although I'm shaking the bottles vigorously and trying to keep it thin but not too thin and holding the brush low to the nail I'm getting streaky see through finish, generally needing 3 coats and despite pulling side folds back am still getting it into side folds. Sometimes it looks as though as I've done the rest of the nails and then as the hand has tilted the shellac has sort of dripped downwards (sideways) into the side fold which subsequently causing bulges/ bumps, as well as I can't get a good margin line at the eponicium end. I am using a brush to tidy but end up making an even bigger mess! I'm also struggling to cap the end on short nails without getting it on the skin, again I'm trying to pull back the skin underneath. I've also tried the reverse method as seen on one video and then pulling off surplus before curing but they just look so messy still.

I've watched lots of you tube videos including the finger nail fixer and although it all looks so easy it's not.

As I said I trained with Cnd but perhaps feel there might not have been enough time to achieve the perfect finish after all it's only two days and a lot of that is theory.
No where near feeling able to charge anybody for such a shoddy finish. I wouldn't pay for it! Somebody please help! Really don't want to give in just yet!
Thanks in advance for any guidance - much appreciated.

I only just trained too and am often getting pooling at the side walls. I think it's where there is too much shellac on the brush. Start with less then you can always add a little more. I find it's the first couple of fingers on each set that are worst as I get used to the size of their nails. I guess it just all comes down to practice. Practice on people and charge them a small amount to cover costs, but explain that as you are getting used to it they won't be completely perfect. I've found people understanding about it, and they let me know if any problems crop up because they know I'm learning and want the feedback.
Hope that helps!
Don't give up, we will get there!

Get yourself some polish and a friend and practice polishing, the CND shellac certificate gives you knowledge of the product, pep and nail physiology what it can't give you is polishing skills those only come with practice and are undervalued today. I can remember sitting in class at college all those years ago and for at least one hour a week for 2 days we applied polish and removed it and reapplied polish over and over again.

Be meticulous with your base coat and although we say thin to win you can also be applying it too thinly. I find there are several colours which are a bit wishy washy and really could do with 3 coats Grape gum is the worst for me.

Practice makes perfect!

Latest posts

Back