sunbeds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajb

Reaction score
Hi there,

Im thinking of maybe taking on a old sunbed shop thats closed at the moment but adding nails and beauty to it, would like 2 put 2 sunbeds in but just wondering if i would need to have any trainning or a certificate of some kind to be able to have them in the salon?

Are people still going on those things?

Here in Australia, after the very public melanoma death of a 25 year old woman after using solariums, no one is going on them.

Salons and tanning salons are selling them left right and centre cause no one goes on them anymore....i even know a friend who owns a salon that sold packages the week before this girl died, then never came back to redeem it...

They should be banned IMO

Let's be realistic. People do still use them, just not as commonly as they used to. I know quite a few that do & a friend that has one in her salon is still busy with it. Although IMO spray tanning is much more popular & alot cheaper to set up.

Are people still going on those things?

Here in Australia, after the very public melanoma death of a 25 year old woman after using solariums, no one is going on them.

Salons and tanning salons are selling them left right and centre cause no one goes on them anymore....i even know a friend who owns a salon that sold packages the week before this girl died, then never came back to redeem it...

They should be banned IMO

that statement is untrue.
People who use them swear by them.. and its hard to change the mindset of some people,especially when they are getting the results they are after.. longer.
Now.. the rules and regulations are being changed.. following the public death of a woman who used one a few times when extremely to young to do so.. that aside its still a sad fact that they are not regulated properly at the moment.
As with anything in life there are risks.. and regulation should be where we start not hysterics.

im with you bernadette..spray me baby.. haha

that statement is untrue.
People who use them swear by them.. and its hard to change the mindset of some people,especially when they are getting the results they are after.. longer.
Now.. the rules and regulations are being changed.. following the public death of a woman who used one a few times when extremely to young to do so.. that aside its still a sad fact that they are not regulated properly at the moment.
As with anything in life there are risks.. and regulation should be where we start not hysterics.

im with you bernadette..spray me baby.. haha

When i said no one - i think we all know there are people still using them - but that has drastically reduced and i have seen the proof - so no not untrue thanks

I know many salons that they are sitting getting cob webs and no one is going on them.

The people that are are idiots - the death of Claire has changed the viewpoint on solarium use here in Australia - and that not hysterics...

The regulatins and atitudes here in the UK are somewhat different to those down under...I would sugest that you

1)contact "the sunbed association" (just google it and you will find them) and join as they are there to support,advise and provide insurance cover (which is hard to get)
2) Contact a reputable sunbed manufacturer and ask them for advice

If you google tan-biz this is a trade mag that will giveyou heps of contacts

Good luck with your new venture

Hi

I think you should do a bit of research, can I just ask what part of Bradford the salon is in , Do you know the reason why it has closed down?

I know some one who has set up many successfulSunbed shops and franchises them, So I guess their still is a market for them.

But location, location is everything

Good Luck

When I was younger I was very silly with tanning, I used to Sunbathe without any protection for hours.

Then when I was 16 I got my first sunbed the ones that you used to lay on for hours, then
I started using the high powered verticle ones. I think when you are younger you can have the attitude that nothing will happen to you. I know I did.

it wasn't untill i had my son that i suddenly realised how stupid I had been. I have never been on one since and that was 5 years ago.

Now I stay out of the sun and use Fake bake in summer and su-do in winter.

The sun bed in my salon is very popular and i am in shipley hun just next door to bradford hth

Latest posts

Back