Taking the ****

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illijanna

Reaction score
I'm a bit cheesed off with a friend,I started doing her nails first as a freebie to practice on and every 5 minutes she would call me and tell that a nail had broken,lifted....etc etc...
In the very beginning I certainly had some teething problems but have come a long way since then, that I now charge people for my service.
I haven't had any lifting for a couple of weeks now with any one or any other problems and when I'v seen my friend she is using her fingers as tools, and not really taking much notice of what I have recommended,however she does expect me to drop everything to see to her nails.
I have dealt with this,I think, but the main problem is that I offered her a deal with payment(sukker I know) and gave her a new set for the price of an infill,my reason was that then at least then I would know that all her nails would be equal,same product and beautiful.
They looked stunning....payment, hmmmm she said that she didn't have enough money on her and gave me a pound less....Ok so one pound isn't a problem,but I had already done her a deal.
So a few days later she knocks on my door and asks for a bottle of cuticle oil,but doesn't have any change on her could she pay me at the end of the week as she won't be near a bank until then???????
A week has been and gone and I saw her at the school xmas fayre spending money and not a mention of mine.
Am I being really petty about £6.50 or is she taking the **** out of me?
After all I am now a business and not charity.
:(

illijanna said:

I think she is taking the **** out of you hun!
You have been great to her giving discounts etc and she dosnt seem to even appritiate that.
Next time she sees you for infils...breakage..cuticle oil...whatever...tell her 'Sure...as soon i get the money that you still owe me from before!'

If you dont then that £6.50 is gonna keep on growing and like you said your trying to run a business not a charity!
Us nails techs are far to soft sometimes! I learnt my lesson in the past and I just wont do it anymore.
Good Luck!

illijanna said:
I'm a bit cheesed off with a friend,I started doing her nails first as a freebie to practice on and every 5 minutes she would call me and tell that a nail had broken,lifted....etc etc...
In the very beginning I certainly had some teething problems but have come a long way since then, that I now charge people for my service.
I haven't had any lifting for a couple of weeks now with any one or any other problems and when I'v seen my friend she is using her fingers as tools, and not really taking much notice of what I have recommended,however she does expect me to drop everything to see to her nails.
I have dealt with this,I think, but the main problem is that I offered her a deal with payment(sukker I know) and gave her a new set for the price of an infill,my reason was that then at least then I would know that all her nails would be equal,same product and beautiful.
They looked stunning....payment, hmmmm she said that she didn't have enough money on her and gave me a pound less....Ok so one pound isn't a problem,but I had already done her a deal.
So a few days later she knocks on my door and asks for a bottle of cuticle oil,but doesn't have any change on her could she pay me at the end of the week as she won't be near a bank until then???????
A week has been and gone and I saw her at the school xmas fayre spending money and not a mention of mine.
OMG i think you should confront this girl and say that now business has picked up you cant do her nails any more as you are too busy.. you dont need people like this to take the p*&& out of you.. the other option is tell her you take chqs.. i know its hard but you are running a buisness and not a charity.... hth

She is taking the p*** a little. Infact no alot... I would never expect anybody to give me away freebies. You have paid to train in what you specilise in. Ask her for the money and if she doesnt like it ask her to go else where or just say you cant fit her in you have arrangements. I don't know what she does but she wouldnt give you a service free of charge..

I work part time at a pub but have a full VTCT in manis and pedis and one of my colleagues asked for a manicure i said yes of course i will have to charge you tho but ill give you a couple of pound off seen as I know you. She then had the cheek to turn round to me and say why your not even qualified??? I told her to forget about it as i couldnt find the time.

Thank you for your replies,it feels so much better that you agree with me,I will tell her that I accept chqs.
Some people Hey!

Hiya

I think she is taking the p*** but only cos you are letting her...sorry.

I know its hard when its mates but she isn't really being a true mate or else she would understand that this is your living.

Next time if she doesn't have enough money tell her that you will hold it for her until she has enough money.

I don't think she is respecting your work or her nails cos if she breaks one its no big deal as you will sort them out cheep for her...if she was paying full price i bet she would look after them then.

Be tough hun, would she expect to go to work for a few hours and get paid less than normal...i bet not. xxx

She wouldnt go to the supermarket and turn round after the girl had put everything through the scanner and tell her she will pay her next week as she has no cash right now or isnt going to the banks until later on in the week....so why should she be allowed to do this with you? I had a client who was a neighbour & friend who tried the same thing so I went and asked her everyday for the cash until she paid me, she still comes to have her nails done but always pays at the time now, I think I embarrassed her asking for it all the time!!!:green:

I have just sent her a text reminding her of money due! But have no response yet,so we will see.I am sure she will pay me eventually.
I will let you know what happens.

i agree with angie..if she paid for them i bet they wouldnt break or lift, but because she is getting them for free she wont be looking after them because if she breaks on she expects not to pat for it

After leaving a text message she has come and paid for it now...However didn't seem too pleased to pay me and asked me to look at her nail and all it is, is her nails are growing and she needs them filling in again....My God, what does she want?It's minor growth to say the least, she is getting on my nerves big time.
Just spoke to my friend who is a hairdresser and she had a similar problem with her too.She is supposed to be our friend.
Martin (hubby) has said to try and avoid doing her nails.

your friends sound like mine hun!! they think cos u are their friend they can pay u when and how much they please!! its annoying i know.
i got round this by telling my friend how much it was going to be when she booked her appointment (she always waited till after id done her nails to say she had no money and could she pay me later) now she rings/txts and says 'id like a full set' - i say how much it is etc. now she normally cancels the day before - but at least i aint losing out no more! xx

If I was you I would say..

"Yes you need and infill,that will be £xx, or you can try elsewhere if you prefer."

That tells her like it is. Nails grow, Infills need doing and you are a tech that will not work for free!

Maybe she will go elsewhere or maybe she will understand and pay up at the right time like any other client!!

It is worse when it is friends and family!

i do a few of my mates/family for cheap because they allowed me to practice on them when i did truly awful nails, but they are what i class as my "true" mates. i know this because (a) they fit in around my arrangements; they understand if i have a full paying client phone up i can cancel them at a moments notice and (b) they always offer me the money anyway because they are real friends and don't like to take the **** and understand my products and time cost me money.

some people are out there just to get whatever they can. these people are not real friends so definitely make sure she pays you and, if she doesn't, tell her you won't do anymore services on her or give her any more products until she has paid you what she owes you. Nailstyle is right, you are letting her, but only because you feel embarrassed, but ask yourself if your "friend" would do the same for you. bet the answer is no because she's out for everything she can get and she's a skinflint.

Maybe it's time to get rid....if you really feel that, I would sit her down for her infill/rebalance, that's she's asked for and at the start say 'I'm not happy doing your nails any longer,I think you think they're not good enough and I don't want this 'stuff' to come between our friendship so...I would like to soak them off and give you a manicure, free of charge of course, or I can do your rebalance this one last time until you can find another tech to go to'

She will either be upset and say she LOVES her nails and you won't have any further probs with payment OR they come off; you heave a sigh of relief, no more stress, it's worth it - honest!

There are some people out there who take advantage of a person like you. A true friend wouldn't do that. Next time you speak explain that due to business overheads the next re-balance will be.......and a replacement nail.........then when she comes back for a re-balance etc before you even start ask for the money if she doesn't have it then don't do it.

Take care xx

Latest posts

Back