Tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloughers

Reaction score
I'm thinking of maybe training and adding tanning to my Gelish. Does anyone else do both and is it worth the outlay?

I do both and just as busy with both :) xxx

Which tan system do u use and is it hard to learn? Is it expensive to set up and how long before u were confident? Thanks! X

Which tan system do u use and is it hard to learn? Is it expensive to set up and how long before u were confident? Thanks! X

I use Nouvatan - love it :) I wouldn't say it's hard to learn, but it's not as easy as people think!
It depends what you class as expensive and how quickly you expect to make your money back? You're looking at a good £400 to get good training an a decent kit I'd say, so if you only charge £20 per tan, that would take 20 clients to make your money back! However, I find it extremely popular and was worth every penny for me tbh :) (I trained years ago, but hated the product I was using, was orange! So I stopped! I started back again in march/April) xxx

I use Nouvatan - love it :) I wouldn't say it's hard to learn, but it's not as easy as people think!
It depends what you class as expensive and how quickly you expect to make your money back? You're looking at a good £400 to get good training an a decent kit I'd say, so if you only charge £20 per tan, that would take 20 clients to make your money back! However, I find it extremely popular and was worth every penny for me tbh :) (I trained years ago, but hated the product I was using, was orange! So I stopped! I started back again in march/April) xxx

Hi GlamourEyes, thanks for that. That's not too bad, I think I've spent about £1200 on my Gelish stuff altogether and I thought the tan equipment would be more. Is that including everything you need and training? Is the training just 1 day? Thanks for your help... x:biggrin:

Hi GlamourEyes, thanks for that. That's not too bad, I think I've spent about £1200 on my Gelish stuff altogether and I thought the tan equipment would be more. Is that including everything you need and training? Is the training just 1 day? Thanks for your help... x:biggrin:

I'll pm you as not sure how much I'm allowed to write re. Prices etc :) xxx

Hi cloughers, you are right, nails are very expensive to get set up in. I was shocked! I have been tanning for over 25 years. eek that makes me feel old.

Tanning is much less expensive to get trained and kitted up. You will find that most companies offer their training free of charge or at a discounted rate if you buy their starter kit. Some people like to shop around and train with one provider, buy the machine elsewhere and the solution somewhere else again, in my opinion you may save a few £ but you are spending time sourcing all the bits and bobs, if you do the one stop shop you will be trained using the machine you are buying as well as the solution you will be using. You wont have any worries about how to adjust settings on a different machine to what was used in training, you will know what to expect with the solution as well. And of course above all you will have after sales support from people who know the equipment you are using.

You can always change products and equipment at a later date but by then you will be experienced enough to make an informed decision on what you want.

Training is usually only a few hours, hope this helps
Let us know what you decide, there are a few companies out there that I would recommend mainly from the feedback on here.

LA Tanning is good with their starter kits and training and also the guide color is nice and dark which helps you when inexperienced as it is hard to miss a bit. LOL

I have heard good things about Nouvatan

Sunless solutions are great too and the solution is actually really good. I have a longtime St Tropez client who has been converted to sunless solutions. She loves it

Avivalabs is great , fantastic training and a wonderful company values with a great range of products

and of course last but certainly not least Organics/Tantrick/NKD and Ego all Bigredbeauty products.

Hopefully these will give you a good idea of what is out there.

Sorry for the novel but just to finish it off I love my tanning and I am busier with tans than nails.

Tanning was one of the first things I added on when I finished my college training, and I love doing it. Set up costs are a few hundred, and as posted above, Nouvatan and some other companies give free training with kit purchase. Its made me the setup costs back very quickly, and its also a quick treatment to perform (nails take me a loooong time!!)
There doesnt seem to be many round here that have a tan every week, but I do have regulars that come when they need one, and often bring a friend round too.. :)
I trialled several solutions but settled on Nouvatan. Once you have a machine you can get some samples to try other brands if you wish.
If your area isn't saturated with tanners, I'd def go for it..

I do nails and tan. I use Nouvatan and love it.

I found the cost to get started wasn't much - the key is practice. Tanning is not as easy as they like to make it look on tv. So I practiced practiced and within a month I was charging full price. I now do tans and nails both regularly and equally.

Its a great combo to have because people will often have both for nights out, weddings etc. Now is a great time to start as you'll be ready for the Xmas party rush!

Thanks for all the info geeks! I spoke to dawn at nouvatan today and she was very helpful and I think if I do it I will go with them. I do worry about getting business but as I'm only doing nails in the evenings at the mo as well as my office job my idea is to save my nail money to pay to set up the tanning then I've nothing to lose but another string to my bow!

Hi I do Gelish only at the moment and am thinking about adding Nouvatan to my treatments. I only do Gelish part time in the evenings at the moment in my spare bedroom and just wondered if any geeks are in a similar situation and do nails and tanning at home and how many clients are you getting? Is the spray tanning more popular than the nails or vice versa? How do you advertise? Thanks Geeks!:)

Sorry love but didn't you ask a very similar question just the other day? If you still have unanswered questions you might want to do a little search on here to see what others have done

Last edited:
I have now merged the two threads...I think possibly Cloughers couldn't find the original, as it has been moved to Consumer :)

I wondered, for a minute I was worrying that I was starting to imagine SG Threads.LOL

Hi I do Gelish only at the moment and am thinking about adding Nouvatan to my treatments. I only do Gelish part time in the evenings at the moment in my spare bedroom and just wondered if any geeks are in a similar situation and do nails and tanning at home and how many clients are you getting? Is the spray tanning more popular than the nails or vice versa? How do you advertise? Thanks Geeks!:)
Have a look at the thread on ways to promote your business, it is full of good advice

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/83160-more-ways-promote-your-business.html

Have a look at the thread on ways to promote your business, it is full of good advice

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/83160-more-ways-promote-your-business.html

Thanks for the reply but I really want to hear from geeks in a similar position that offer nails and tanning and find out what sort of percentage of both they do etc. rather than search through loads of previous posts. I have already looked at all the Nouvatan threads I can find and all the FAQ's about tanning. :)

Hopefully others will come along with more info for you as I have already answered your question, there are a lot of Nail/Spray Tan Geeks on here so I am sure they will be more than happy to let you know what they do.

Hopefully I will end up loving nails as much as tans but have been tanning for ages and have only been doing nails for about a year so I did it the other way around, added nails to my tanning and am still building the nail business and confidence

Latest posts

Back