Tanning menu

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkknailss

www.luxetanning.co.uk #Princess
Reaction score
Hey!

I am soon to get be getting funding to open my own Tanning Salon!
I will focus tobegin with just spray tanning and then get some stand up sunbeds but not 100% sure yet as there is a well established sunbed salon within walking distance of my prefered shop.

Anyway so I am deciding I want to be a 1 stop shop for all of the areas tanningneeds! I want to have a menue of bands clients can choose from. I want to have St tropez, fake bake, and sienna x and brown bitz as my main tans ranging in price to suit all purses!
I also want to stock all the 'towie' tans and see how popular they are before I make them permanent, along with all retail products.
I would also like to offer a very dark tan for dancers and body builders but I haven't researched that yet.

I would really appricate everyones opinions and suggestions as I shall be doing this alone. I do have the support of family memebers and friends but you guys have no much knowledge!

So I plan to open a tanning salon offering spray tans and a large retail product base.

any opinions?

That sounds excellent to me :)
It's always best to have a variety!
Goodluck with your salon xx

It would seem to me you have had an idea that you think is great but you've not really researched it.

If your wanting to be a one stop tanning shop why have you not been out there questioning the local people about what they would want from a shop like yours?

Although it might sound like a fabulous idea to stock 6/7 different tanning ranges this WILL cause you to throw out solution, & solution is money.

Pretty much all tanning solutions will only last 6 months from opening and each brand will have a few different percents so you will have 3 maybe 4 bottles for each brand you choose open at the same time (so approx 20 bottles open at the same time) and that means you would need to tan 400 to 420 people in 6 months (all wanting the specific percent & brand you want them to to finish off the bottles).

Depending on how long youv'e been tanning & how well you know to set your gun your also going to need to have different settings on your gun for each tanning brand (and some brands still need adjustment betwwen normal solutions & fast/rapid tans). This is going to mean you nees a little extra time on each appointment to set your gun for the solution the client has chosen.

I agree with Baggybear. If you want options then I think you really only need one natural looking tan and another that is darker maybe? Too much choice is sometimes not a good thing and it will cost you a lot to stock it all and you'll have to do a hell of a lot of tans to use it within it's date. Good luck.

Thank you ladies, I will make a note to not over order the retail products!

Thank you ladies, I will make a note to not over order the retail products!
Are you going to reconsider having all those brands available as spray tans too?

Although it might look like a good idea it really will end up costing you as managing to finish every percent in every brand before it goes off is going to be almost impossible.

I would think it would be confusing to the customer to have a choice of all those spray tans? If want to cater for all purses why not have a high end tan (with the varying percentages) and then a lower cost tan (again with varying percentages). The body building tan is something completely different so obviously that would be a seperate thing.
I don't think you need that huge choice.
Well done though, must be so exciting planning everything. Bet your mind is working in overdrive!! X

I think your best bet is to go with different price ranges of tans like maybe a cheaper tan available in lighter and darker and a more expensive "better" tan in different shades as not everyone is willing to spend the same amount, but I don't think you should offer TOO many different solutions as your average person who doesn't know a thing about tanning won't have a clue what they're all about x

Yes I was planning to do them at different prices
Brown bitz £15
Fake bake / sinenna x £20
St Tropez/Vita/ vdark tan £30
And then for the 60min/quick develop tans I'm not sure yet.

Yes I was planning to do them at different prices
Brown bitz £15
Fake bake / sinenna x £20
St Tropez/Vita/ vdark tan £30
And then for the 60min/quick develop tans I'm not sure yet.

It can be very difficult to have a salon that only does one type of treatment eg tanning.

Although spray tanning is very popular it isn't as popular in certain months also depends on the area and type of clients you have.

I'd consider having other treatments too, even just Manicures and shellac would help boost in quiet months for tanning.

I definitely agree with the above don't offer too many brands because you will definitely end up wasting a lot of stock and losing money.

I use two brands Sienna X for paler shades and Beach Brown for darker and I know if I added another one I would definitely end up wasting some of it and I have a big tanning client base on a very busy road x

I don't think I will ever have a nail station in the salon, there is just too much competion from nss in the area.
Maybe small treatments in the future.

Spray tan aren't busy at the start of the week or a sat so if you limit yourself to this will be wasting money on rent with no one coming in.

Having too many brands will confuse clients.
We offer brown bitz and xen-tan - that's 5 bottles in total and it's plenty!

For something upmarket we use contour D'or by tibby oliver - clients will look slimmer and lose inches for £40

You need to consider the hassle of sunbeds if you add them in later - you may need to upgrade electricity and then get the beds in and build changing rooms around them-you can't get clients in during this time and closing when your new doesn't look good.

I done everything at the start so we don't need to close again and clients know exactly where they stand :)

Sorry I didn't add that even though spray tanning is less popular in certain months sunbeds are always popular all year round. I have one in my salon and it wasn't a hassle having installed or electrics being upgraded at all. When you rent or lease a sunbed you are sent a pack regarding regulations for the electricity and it's very simple. Depending on the model either require 3 or 5 pin commando socket and an isolator switch which an electrician will do for you depending on what the sunbed company specify.

They aren't very expensive per month either, much better then paying outright for one, mine would of cost 10,500 if it wasn't for leasing! So I'd say have one straight away rather than later so at least you'd be busy with those if it takes a whole to build the spray tanning clientele x

Last edited:
Thank you ladies for your opinions, the thing is I don't want to compete with the other Sunbed places around the area I'm choosing (croydon).

I want to cater for the client who loves their tan and knows exactly what they want, the client who isnt sure about sunbeds, and the client who needs educating on tanning as they may be new or only have a occasional spray tan or just generally nervous as I have had to reassure clients worried before be it their first tan or for the wedding reception they are attending.

I was very busy when I was mobile and often couldn't make it to the new clients which was a shame. Some of the clients wanted Fake bake or Sienna X specifically and I couldn't offer that so they had to have Brown Bitz, which is why I want to offer so many solutions as I think as a client they can have the option of keeping with the tan they prefer be it fake bake etc or offer them something more suited to their skin needs if they sensitive then use Vita etc.

Having 3/6 bottles of tan for each brand is just what I will have to do because I really want to become the 'go to lady' for spray tans in Croydon. But of course I am still doing my research etc.

Do you guys think I am crazy? My family usually help me but they are all busy with running their own businesses!

Thank you ladies for your opinions, the thing is I don't want to compete with the other Sunbed places around the area I'm choosing (croydon).

I want to cater for the client who loves their tan and knows exactly what they want, the client who isnt sure about sunbeds, and the client who needs educating on tanning as they may be new or only have a occasional spray tan or just generally nervous as I have had to reassure clients worried before be it their first tan or for the wedding reception they are attending.

I was very busy when I was mobile and often couldn't make it to the new clients which was a shame. Some of the clients wanted Fake bake or Sienna X specifically and I couldn't offer that so they had to have Brown Bitz, which is why I want to offer so many solutions as I think as a client they can have the option of keeping with the tan they prefer be it fake bake etc or offer them something more suited to their skin needs if they sensitive then use Vita etc.

Having 3/6 bottles of tan for each brand is just what I will have to do because I really want to become the 'go to lady' for spray tans in Croydon. But of course I am still doing my research etc.

Do you guys think I am crazy? My family usually help me but they are all busy with running their own businesses!

If that's what you want to do, you do it! I'm sure soon enough after opening you'll realise what tans are selling and what aren't so you could always have a re vamp then! There nobody saying once you've chosen to stock 3,4,6,10 different solutions that it has to stay like that! I think you have a good goal in your mind and I completely understand that what you'll have over other competitors is a wide variety so yeah go for that and see how it goes, like I said, you can always have a re think later, it's all about learning xx

Latest posts

Back