tanning solution question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathill

Reaction score
i had a phone call today from a certain tan company as id enquired for some samples when i asked what strength the tan came in i was told it only comes in one colour reason being everyone has different undertones in their skin so if your say a red head it would go on very very pale if you had darker tanned skin it would go on darker!! does this make sense to you fellow geeks?:confused:

Only to a small extent. Different peoples skin does react differently to solutions, but I still think that is just sales patter to get round the issue of lack of range of strengths.

I have clients who like 8% in winter and then go up to 10 or 12 % in summer and there is no way to give a lighter or darker tan to the same client if there is no range of strengths.

The fact I can offer everything from 8 to 16% and 100's of shades in between, (by using DHA drops) is pretty much one of my biggest selling points, after the actual colour of the tan itself.

Only to a small extent. Different peoples skin does react differently to solutions, but I still think that is just sales patter to get round the issue of lack of range of strengths.

Spot on :hug:

Ok so the company was Xen Tan Its got some great reviews has anyone actually tried it? There sending me a sample im like nearly blue so we will see what i turn out like!! Im really happy with the solution im using but since joining this site ive decided to have another try out of different ones but this guy didnt fill me with confidence and it didnt really make much sense to me.....

Don't change for change's sake - if you are happy with what you already have, then stick with it! I take a gander around every few months or so as you never know what is better....but if nothing shows a big advantage over what you are doing now....why change to it?

Here's a little idea for you....well for anyone that wants to evaluate a product.

Write out a list of key factors on any particular product or service...these could include (for tanning in this example) range of colours, colour guide, wearability, cost, adverting, customer service, training etc....ther are a few more.

Then before you even judge how the product you are evaluating at this time, stands on your list, divide the factors into 3 further categories, according to what is important to you.

Essential
Desirable
Useful

For example, to me it cold be that -

range of colours is - 'essential',
good cost, - 'desirable'
advertising by the manufacturere is - 'useful

Then score each aspect of this particular product out of 10...ie how well it does for that category, and work out for each category the percentage of the score that product has gained, against the score it could have gained

For example if there were 3 factors in the 'essential' category and the product scored 9, 9 and 8 respectively then its total is 26 out of a potential 30 so

26/30 x 100 = 86.6%

Do the same for the other categories.

Now you need to decide whats good and whats not....for me something usually has to have over 85% of the essential criteria, over 70% of the desirable criteria and over 50% of the useful criteria.

And whilst this may sound a tad complicated at first glance, it actually very easy, it takes pretty much just a couple of minutes to do and is an invaluable business tool.

Score your existing products too, so you'll know how any new ones compare!

Ok so the company was Xen Tan Its got some great reviews has anyone actually tried it? There sending me a sample im like nearly blue so we will see what i turn out like!! Im really happy with the solution im using but since joining this site ive decided to have another try out of different ones but this guy didnt fill me with confidence and it didnt really make much sense to me.....

i personally didn't really like it. It seemed a bit yellow if that makes sense. nice smell tho

Don't change for change's sake - if you are happy with what you already have, then stick with it! I take a gander around every few months or so as you never know what is better....but if nothing shows a big advantage over what you are doing now....why change to it?

Here's a little idea for you....well for anyone that wants to evaluate a product.

Write out a list of key factors on any particular product or service...these could include (for tanning in this example) range of colours, colour guide, wearability, cost, adverting, customer service, training etc....ther are a few more.

Then before you even judge how the product you are evaluating at this time, stands on your list, divide the factors into 3 further categories, according to what is important to you.

Essential
Desirable
Useful

For example, to me it cold be that -

range of colours is - 'essential',
good cost, - 'desirable'
advertising by the manufacturere is - 'useful

Then score each aspect of this particular product out of 10...ie how well it does for that category, and work out for each category the percentage of the score that product has gained, against the score it could have gained

For example if there were 3 factors in the 'essential' category and the product scored 9, 9 and 8 respectively then its total is 26 out of a potential 30 so

26/30 x 100 = 86.6%

Do the same for the other categories.

Now you need to decide whats good and whats not....for me something usually has to have over 85% of the essential criteria, over 70% of the desirable criteria and over 50% of the useful criteria.

And whilst this may sound a tad complicated at first glance, it actually very easy, it takes pretty much just a couple of minutes to do and is an invaluable business tool.

Score your existing products too, so you'll know how any new ones compare!

Lyndsay What solution do you use?

Last edited:
Lindsay What solution do you use?

Mainly one that I import from the States, called Rejuvetan. Its hassle to plan my ordering, but its a gorgeous solution...one colour, but has DHA drops for altering the strength, and works well with my airbrush, which I use in my salon. I love my airbrush! Everyone said that i would much prefer a T100 when I bought one, but no way. My airbrush is so refined...I can do anything with it! My T100 feels like spraying a car in comparison!

But I use the T100 for mobile work, which I still do quite e bit of, and for that I use Celebrity Secrets. I couldn't get a one solution that I found worked well in both the airbrush and the T100. (The airbrush likes heavier solutions....with the right one I use half the solution I do with the T100)

I keep looking to see if i can find something in this country for my airbrush...I'm looking at Beaubronz right now - its very expensive but I know a few very happy people and the ethos fits well with me.

Thanks Lyndsay I use the t100 and love it.

I am in the process of switching over to Celebrity Secrets as my clients have been enjoying it.

Thanks again xxxxx

Mainly one that I import from the States, called Rejuvetan. Its hassle to plan my ordering, but its a gorgeous solution...one colour, but has DHA drops for altering the strength, and works well with my airbrush, which I use in my salon. I love my airbrush! Everyone said that i would much prefer a T100 when I bought one, but no way. My airbrush is so refined...I can do anything with it! My T100 feels like spraying a car in comparison!

But I use the T100 for mobile work, which I still do quite e bit of, and for that I use Celebrity Secrets. I couldn't get a one solution that I found worked well in both the airbrush and the T100. (The airbrush likes heavier solutions....with the right one I use half the solution I do with the T100)

I keep looking to see if i can find something in this country for my airbrush...I'm looking at Beaubronz right now - its very expensive but I know a few very happy people and the ethos fits well with me.

Hi Hun
You need to contact Collin and ask for a sample of the new summer essence, this is a much finer liquid, not heavy or thick at all, so should work a treat with your airbrush, tell him i said to call, the number is 0800 169 5801 :hug:

Hi Hun
You need to contact Collin and ask for a sample of the new summer essence, this is a much finer liquid, not heavy or thick at all, so should work a treat with your airbrush, tell him i said to call, the number is 0800 169 5801 :hug:

Thanks hun:hug:....the lighter solutions are actually the better ones with the T100...the heavier with the airbrush, but it may be worth trying for the T100.

Does it still require 2 coats like the previous Tantrick solutions?

hi
I'm new to spray tanning going to pick up my kit tomorrow, still in a bit of a dilemma on which brand to use. i've never had a spray tan myself (but always use self tan) i find that the people i've seen look all patchy with white hands. Are you not meant to spray the hands? how much product do you use on average on a full body tan ie how many tan's would i get out of a 500ml bottle? any info would be great
thanks xx

hi
I'm new to spray tanning going to pick up my kit tomorrow, still in a bit of a dilemma on which brand to use. i've never had a spray tan myself (but always use self tan) i find that the people i've seen look all patchy with white hands. Are you not meant to spray the hands? how much product do you use on average on a full body tan ie how many tan's would i get out of a 500ml bottle? any info would be great
thanks xx

Well there are lots of tanning threads on here with pros and cons of all the different solutions on the market to chose from. Put spray tanning into the search facility and you will find no end of interesting reading.

As for hands.. I can tell you that its not the norm to spray the palms of the hands.. you don't see people with tanned palms.

On average I use between 30 and 40 mils per tan. I get between 22 and 25 tans out of a litre so half that for the 500mls. I have been spraying for quite some time now so I feel I spray at optimum levels.. but starting out you should easily get 10 tans out of 500mls, depending on the kit you were using.

Having some accredited training will give you the grounding to spray at optimum levels and give your prospective clients the best tans. Again, if you do a search regarding tanning training, there will be lots of previous posts to help you with this if you are interested.

Thanks hun:hug:....the lighter solutions are actually the better ones with the T100...the heavier with the airbrush, but it may be worth trying for the T100.

Does it still require 2 coats like the previous Tantrick solutions?
no hun just the one, less is definitely more with this solution and every one i have used it on so far looks stunning,
there has been a bit of confusion of late as to how many coats are needed with the Tantrick range, we all do one coat, the second coat that has been referred to is just a very light misting over and not really necessary if you are confident you have covered all areas hth
it could very well end up been my favorite in the range but i wont speak too soon as we have another in the pipeline for autumn :hug:

I use Xen Tan. Im happy, clients are very happy, they love the colour and the smell. No complaints so far. Cannot say Ive experience the yellowing that was mentioned above. Just healthy brown skin.
Its good to evaluate the tanning market now and again. Keeps you interested and one step ahead.

Wish you luck with your choice! xx

I use Xen Tan. Im happy, clients are very happy, they love the colour and the smell. No complaints so far. Cannot say Ive experience the yellowing that was mentioned above. Just healthy brown skin.
Its good to evaluate the tanning market now and again. Keeps you interested and one step ahead.

Wish you luck with your choice! xx

you are quiet right Nicki....there is no one manufacturer that has been able to produce a product to suit all tastes..oh if only we could :)

When starting off try and get as many samples as you can from different manufacturers so you can form your own opinion on what's best to suit you and your buisness venture.

likewise if you are an established operator you should also try any new products that become available from time to time...this way you can keep up with new product developments as well as current market trends.

Trying variouse liquids out is the most effective way of finding the best liquid solution to suit you and your customers...weather be it that you are a newcomer or an old timer:hug:

you are quiet right Nicki....there is no one manufacturer that has been able to produce a product to suit all tastes..oh if only we could :)

When starting off try and get as many samples as you can from different manufacturers so you can form your own opinion on what's best to suit you and your buisness venture.

likewise if you are an established operator you should also try any new products that become available from time to time...this way you can keep up with new product developments as well as current market trends.

Trying variouse liquids out is the most effective way of finding the best liquid solution to suit you and your customers...weather be it that you are a newcomer or an old timer:hug:

Couldnt of put it better myself me dear !!!!

Sound advice from someone with knowledge !!!!

Tan on !!!

well i sprayed myself with the xen-tan and was very pleasently suprised the colour is lovely and its wearing really well !! collin sent me loads of samples so ill try them out on fri night!! Thats my tanning and nails night whilst husband goes out hahaha....:lol:

Latest posts

Back