The dreaded question....charging

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffy

Reaction score
Have just completed the creative foundation l&p course (still got day 5 to go) and have just sent off the form to get my insurance I am now able to charge clients.....BUT the big question is HOW MUCH? So far I've only done my Mum's and a couple of friends who I used as models.

My nails aren't too horrendous (I've seen worse put it that way) but obviously I'm still very new to this. How much should I charge for re-balances? and new sets for potential new clients?

Hi

I used to charge £7.50 a set when i first started and to be honest i never really had to charge for a re-balance cos most had come off by then..lol

The more confident you get the better you'l nails will become then you know to start charging a higher rate.

Hiya...you should def charge..and i wouldn't go too cheep either cos when you put ya prices up they dont like it...I was charging 10.00 for a full set when i was practicing with another gel, then i did the fdfc with Brisa and charged 15.00 for 1 month, after that i went to 30.00 for a full set, it was at this time that i did my ads...
how much would you be happy to pay for your nails ? you are using great products and have had great training so charge accordingly. Best of luck xxx

I would suggest you phone around some local salons and find out what the going rate is for your area.

When I started I decided to charge £15 per set until I felt I was up to the standard of the local salons who at the time were charging between £20 -£28.

The best advice I ever received was not to do anything for nothing - if you don't value your work then neither will the person receiving it.

Set your price to a reasonable amount - you have had great training and are using great products - do not underestimate yourself.

Ask your educator for an idea of what you could charge in your area.

If for instance you set your starting price way too low then you will get lots of interest - which is good to get the practice but then you might not be able to sustain it as alot of these people would not pay full price anyway. I hope that makes sense. You want to get a respectful and valuable clientele from the outset not just clients who will take you for granted and bully you into keeping special prices for them.

The girl who used to do my nails charged £30 for a full set and £20 for a re-balance (pink only) but this did include any diamantes etc.

How much should I charge for a re-balance, bearing in mind that in the beginning I am expecting there will be quite a bit of lifting and replacement nails...

Think I might have just answered my own question, if you suggest £15 for a full set then that's half the price of the girl who does mine so I guess I should charge half the amount for a re-balance too.

im having the same problem! i did the 4 day foundation course with creative (last 4 day course before 5 day courses began) in feb and passed on 1st march. i was told much to my amusement (by a friend can you believe it!) that if i charged a lower price it would encourage people to come back.....including herself and i never have seen ANY money from her! needless to say it did create interest but then why should you take all the time and effort?
i dont mind reducing the costs for family and friends even if they gave me £3.50 (which they say is the average cost of a full set of L&P from creative) but i certainly wouldnt lower yourself to thinking your nails arent worth much, be proud of your work - you do not have 'welcome' written all over your forehead!! hehehehe xxxx
in this world you get f* all for f* all thats what i say!!

I'm not looking to make much money out of this as it's not my main job, I do however want to be able to cover my costs and also be able to afford some more nail bits and bobs including some nail art items etc.

I know I shouldn't give my time for free but am going to find it so hard to take money from friends and especially hard from my Mum.

i found it the same, but they have to understand that you cant do it out of goodwill - who pays for the materials?! YOU! and you'll soon see yourself out of pocket believe me. i have taken £10 from my mum and auntie each and they were more than happy to give me that for a full set cos they know that its not free to do it......i know its not nice charging family but im sure they'd rather see you right than in debt!

Fluffy said:
Have just completed the creative foundation l&p course (still got day 5 to go) and have just sent off the form to get my insurance I am now able to charge clients.....BUT the big question is HOW MUCH? So far I've only done my Mum's and a couple of friends who I used as models.

My nails aren't too horrendous (I've seen worse put it that way) but obviously I'm still very new to this. How much should I charge for re-balances? and new sets for potential new clients?

This is an interesting situation... Why do we train and work so hard then want to give away our services ..... Don't understimate yourself. Charge high,then you can offer special rates at any one time....

I wouldn't say half price for a rebalance, it takes just as long as a full set especially if there is lifting etc! I would say 2/3 of the full set price would be more in line. If you charged £10 for a full set then charge them £7 for a rebalance. hth x

this thread has really got me thinking, i dont charge anything at the moment YET.... my sister has me doing her nails all the time and has even phoned to let me know she will be round next week to have extensions to her fingers and she wants a french on er toes with rhinestones as shes off to majorca, i never thought about charging family before but it does make sence as she has already used up a lot of my nail art stuff (including sweet talking me out of 4 9ct gold nail charms) hhmmmmmmm, i think ill be phoning her later and asking her to make a donation

Fluffy said:
The girl who used to do my nails charged £30 for a full set and £20 for a re-balance (pink only) but this did include any diamantes etc.

How much should I charge for a re-balance, bearing in mind that in the beginning I am expecting there will be quite a bit of lifting and replacement nails...

Think I might have just answered my own question, if you suggest £15 for a full set then that's half the price of the girl who does mine so I guess I should charge half the amount for a re-balance too.

I agree with what has been said about 2/3 of the full set price. I would also charge for each single nail repair. Please, please do not assume that you will have problems caused by your work - what if it is the client saying och, they were cheap, they won't last long.

Positive thinking makes a difference - you think you will do a poor job and you will - think you will do the best and you will.

Can you guess I have been reading Paul McKenna today LOL.

Fluffy said:
I'm not looking to make much money out of this as it's not my main job, I do however want to be able to cover my costs and also be able to afford some more nail bits and bobs including some nail art items etc.

I know I shouldn't give my time for free but am going to find it so hard to take money from friends and especially hard from my Mum.

What if you love it and want to make it your main job. If you have been working with this attitude as it is just a little hobby then your clients will also treat it as such.

Have passion in what you do and don't undervalue it.

Fluffy said:
I still have this dilemma - I've been practicising on friends and family for free. I tried to ask for a small donation towards my costs, eg a fiver - but their attitude was that they wouldn't ordinarily get their nails done and they were doing me a favour - bloomin' cheek!! :mad: Actually, that last pearl of wisdom came from my mother-in-law and I don't expect any different from her really!!:lol:

I now charge £15 for a full set and £10 for a rebalance, then £2.50 per nail but haven't had to do just a single nail yet. Have got loads of nail art stuff ready to go but nobody's asked for it yet - apart from my kids that is!!!

you're right - i think it is a cheek and its unfair!! most of the time i get "can i give you the money when i get paid/when i go to the bank" .......would you affront yourself and do this if you were getting them done in a salon?! NOOOOO!

now that i have a self-employed position in a salon renting a room, i wont see it a problem - i can now take cards!! hehehehehehe!!:lol:

I think we are reluctant to charge initially because we never feel good enough. :Love: In the long run I guess this will make us better techs because we are always trying to improve and strive for perfect nails.

Myself ..........I dont think I have the personality to be a business woman:smack:

On Monday (Bank Holiday) evening I got a phone call at 5.30pm could I do a full set of nails tonight:irked: I must admit I hesitated and considered changing my plans for the evening but came to my senses. so I asked her to ring back in the morning at 9am (again I had plans builders coming but thats another story). It turns out she wants the nails done before 1pm. She didn't ring me until 10.30am:mad:
I'm still taking a couple of hours to do a full set so I explained to her that unless she got to mine asap I couldnt guarentee we would be finished in time (bearing in mind traveling times etc). She arrived at my house at 12.30pm:mad: :mad: :( . so I'd spent the last two hours getting ready and waiting and waiting for her.

When she arrived I was prepared to say that I couldnt do them and if she wanted them doing before 1pm she had no chance:(

She said that the 1pm deadline was'nt important anymore and that she had time to spare as she was'nt going out until 5.30pm.

The up shot was I did her nails (she was a great girl) because I was'nt happy with one of her nails (it had a bit of a glass look effect on the pink) I only charged her £12 ( I would usually charge £15) AND I drove her home (I know how soft/ mad am I):rolleyes:

Back to the original thread yeah I guess we do undervalue ousevlves and we need this site to ensure that we begin to respect ourselves because if we dont no-one else will.

take care

Thank you for all your positive replies. I will take them all on board and start charging

Latest posts

Back