These things I have learnt...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
People have often asked me for my advice on being a successful business woman. Firstly it's a huge honour to be asked - those of you who know me know I am wracked with self doubt - and secondly, it's mostly hard work and persistence that's got me where I am (in my jamas, in the kitchen!)

I thought it might be a nice idea to share the three things (or more, or fewer, the choice is yours) that have helped you the most.

Here are mine:

1: The OHIO Principle

Only Handle It Once. When paperwork/supplies/anything really comes onto your radar screen deal with it. Examples are:

Bank statements arrive. Take them out of the envelope, look at them, file them. Don't leave them lying on your desk. Deal with what you need to then move on.
Washing. When there is washing to be done, don't leave it lying around; get it in the machine/laundry bag, get the machine on, move on to the next job. When it's dry on the line fold it as you go; it'll make for less ironing, sorting at the other end!

2: Good Enough Isn't

No matter how knackered you are, how bored or disillusioned, you NEED to be the very best you can be. Being good enough isn't good enough. Your business deserves better, your clients deserve better, the industry deserves better. If you can't give of your best then don't give at all.

3: Do it, Delegate it, Dump it

Sometimes work gets piled up on my desk and I have a little flappette about it. My awesome and adored PA Fran gave me this tip and I will be forever in her debt.
When you see a massive pile of stuff that looks horribly overwhelming just pick up the first thing you see and deal with it. There, you're on your way!
The sense of relief from sorting stuff out is disproportionate to the effort it took to deal with it!

So, why not share yours; we can all learn from each other!
:)

Hmmm think I need to work on step 1, right after I've moved this pile of ironing to a different chair so I can put my pile of unopened letters on this one!

My top tip - be patient! Success doesn't happen overnight, tough times are inevitable, self doubt is a given, but with patience, persistence & practice - the rewards are worth the wait & hard work!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Great thread as always Lynn.

Don't ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself.
I frequently ask my member of staff (who is also my daughter) to clean the loo. But I also frequently clean the loo.

Use the best you can.
Don't skimp on products. Every time you use them you'll wish you were using something better.

Make everything work for you.
I look at everything making the most amount of money it can. Renting out space to other therapists, retailing etc.
I also tell my daughter that she HAS to generate more money than she earns which she always does. She's very aware of upselling, retailing etc. It doesn't come from nowhere.

Finally, you have to speculate to accumulate. You cannot sit on your laurels wondering why you have no clients. We have just taken a risk with an advertisement that was comparatively expensive and it is one of the best things we have done. We promoted our USP - being in the middle of nowhere - and the response has been incredible!

Looking forward to reading other comments. Loved your OHIO. My husband always says 'pick it up once' but I don't. I also pile my papers and then get scared looking at them as I move them around and around.

Vic x

Amazing tips. Exactly what I needed xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Extremely helpful as always Lynne.

I do know that abiding by the rules would make my life easier, but I seem to be getting worse ...or should I say better at procrastinating!

I have learned to make sure you do regular training. Things change and this industry changes so much so you need to keep on top of your game. Never assume that you know everything, there is always more to learn.

I've also leaned to trust no-one! Well, maybe not no-one but be very careful who you tell things to. There are a lot of snakes in this business so be careful who you give information to. Even the people who look like butter wouldn't melt in their mouth, will stab you in the back so choose carefully. Having said that, I've met some amazing people in this industry but I've been bitten a few times in the past.

Thirdly-research, research and then research some more. Whether it's buying a new machine, taking on a new skincare line, doing training courses or whatever, make sure you do your research thoroughly and don't buy or do things on a whim.

I know I've learned lots lots more but those are my main 3 :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back