Think before you post

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
I would say in light of recent questions coming up over and over again. We should all do a search before posting, read through the posts and THEN if we still have a question that is not covered elsewhere...........Post
It will make life a lot more interesting to everyone to have new topics and questions to answer, Rather then going over things over and over again :cool:

Totally agree Lell.

The search option is fab now that it's more precise, it is now possible to search individual forums ie MAIN, or NAIL ART when looking for a particular word or phrase, also now being able to search for a particular user name is helpful.

xx

Here, here. Some of the problem in the last couple of weeks might be the Geekmolian system. Perhaps Peeps are posting more new threads because you get more points?? Although I love the Geekmolian stuff.

I love the search facility, you can find just about anything you want.

When i first came on here i didn't realize how it all worked and started new threads alot..everyone was very nice and pointed me in the right direction without making me feel i was putting on them....then i started to use the search option and found topics that related to my query but still didn't answer MY question....some of the posts i found through searching where really old and i didn't know what was worse...start a new thread or bring back an old one....i suppose the new members will have the same thoughts....Now i bring back an old thread if i can, to help me.

The only thing i hope doesn't happen is that when someone starts a new thread they arnt sitting waiting for a telling off...cos it may have been asked b4...else people will stop posting and that would be a real shame.

I think a little tolerance is needed as some people do get upset more than others (i know i do) and some people don't always have the time to search when its a quick and important answer they need...Some people don't understand as well as others (me again) ... we are all different and thats the beauty of it....I know sometimes we may fall out over things, thats normal....but because some one made a mistake !!!!!! don't we... haven't we .... all.

This isn't aimed at any one...its just whats going round in my head at the moment..xxxx

The only thing with that Lell is that we won't get new and fresh answers and opinions on a subject.

I have to say I totally agree with Angie and Kimmi here. Yes - the search option is great, and quite often can answer the query directly, but as I've often found - my query may be a slight variation on the one already answered - it may not quite 100% answer my question if you see what I mean?

I agree that it can get annoying sometimes when the smae old topics come up again and again, and I admit that I have said to myself on a number of occasions "not that ol' chestnut AGAIN"! But there are new people coming to the site all the time, like Kimmi says, they can give new and fresh input to a previously discussed topic.

Sometimes people don't feel comfortable to post in the original discussion, particularly if you disagree with the general flow - it can be a lonely old place out there on your own little limb! But the topic eats at them, they know they have a point to make, they know they think differently, and then bingo, before you can say Geekmolian, their fingers have typed a new thread raising the debate again because they want to be heard now!

While it may be frustrating that we find the old topics coming up again and again, if you feel that you have said all you can say on a subject then let someone else do the talking!!! I learn all the time off this site, even topics that have been raised before. Let's face it nearly every topic you can imagine has been discussed on here, so The Nail Geek would become a search facility and not a forum ... and I'd miss a good old chinwag, debate, a laugh and a tear with me good ol' Geeky mates.

Like Angie says, a little tolerance is needed.:)

Sassy Hassy said:
Let's face it nearly every topic you can imagine has been discussed on here, so The Nail Geek would become a search facility and not a forum

I couldn't have said it better myself. xx

We should all do a search before posting, read through the posts and THEN if we still have a question that is not covered elsewhere...........Post

Like I said in my post if the answer your looking for isn't there......Then post away :cool:

Angie regarding answers being out of date, When you search the results will be in order of date posted so you look at the most recent ones. If they are from a long time ago then just post and bump em back up.

Yeah I agree this site would eventually become a search forum and no need for new threads. So if you start reading a new thread that you think you've seen answered before then stop reading, come out of it and go into something else. I am a supervisor where I work and the new intakes ask the same ole questions over and over and over again when they could find the answer themselves in the manual they are given with the job. But I don't mind if someone asks the same question again and again because I would rather they ask and get it right than get it wrong! All it takes is patience, some of us have it and some don't but that's ok just stop reading and go onto another topic!! Simple

Sassy Hassy said:
I agree that it can get annoying sometimes when the smae old topics come up again and again, and I admit that I have said to myself on a number of occasions "not that ol' chestnut AGAIN"! But there are new people coming to the site all the time, like Kimmi says, they can give new and fresh input to a previously discussed topic.

Sometimes people don't feel comfortable to post in the original discussion, particularly if you disagree with the general flow - it can be a lonely old place out there on your own little limb! But the topic eats at them, they know they have a point to make, they know they think differently, and then bingo, before you can say Geekmolian, their fingers have typed a new thread raising the debate again because they want to be heard now!

While it may be frustrating that we find the old topics coming up again and again, if you feel that you have said all you can say on a subject then let someone else do the talking!!! I learn all the time off this site, even topics that have been raised before. Let's face it nearly every topic you can imagine has been discussed on here, so The Nail Geek would become a search facility and not a forum ... and I'd miss a good old chinwag, debate, a laugh and a tear with me good ol' Geeky mates.

Like Angie says, a little tolerance is needed.:)

Totally agree with Angie and Kimmi on that one.

slightly different when you get paid for it though.
GMG doesn't even get paid for creating our Geek-haven, he does it out of the goodness of his heart and his own wallet.

perhaps some of us have been a little intolerant recently...
it might have something to do with the extraordinary high number of new geeks joining, therefore the same questions being asked... (if you get what i mean)

onwards and upwards Geekios :D

I know recently there have been alot of threads that have been answered afew times but when your new to a forum like this you tend to get alittle over whelmed and every question you ever wonted answered you post. I know that some of you guys have been a geeks for ages and seeing the same threads must be alittle annoying but i didn't find the search button until i had a posted about 2 hundred threads then had a really nice pm saying that there is a search button (u no who u r) :wink2: .

So i guess my point is if the thread title looks like its been answered before skip it and let someone do it.

Yeah Sandi I know I get paid to help but that doesn't make any difference. We are all here to help one another aren't we and it doesn't matter if I'm paid to help or not I would still help if someone was struggling no matter how many times they asked the same question.
You're right though maybe it is to do with the fact that there are a lot of new geeks on the site. I still class myself as quite a newie too but then perhaps people just need to remember that they were all new once!

vicky said:
I know recently there have been alot of threads that have been answered afew times but when your new to a forum like this you tend to get alittle over whelmed and every question you ever wonted answered you post. I know that some of you guys have been a geeks for ages and seeing the same threads must be alittle annoying but i didn't find the search button until i had a posted about 2 hundred threads then had a really nice pm saying that there is a search button (u no who u r) :wink2: .

So i guess my point is if the thread title looks like its been answered before skip it and let someone do it.

Righty Ho in my first post on this thread I didn't say DON'T EVER POST. All I said is do a search if you can't find the answer then post. I love to help people and over the years have answered many questions and have sent and received many pm's, I will always help no matter what.
My post was not getting at anyone or having a go, It was just an informative post to let geeks( especially new ones)know that there is a search facility and if used its a very valuable tool to get lots of different opinions on the subject you need answers on.
We don't always get the answers we need when we post so just think of the search facility as a big nail book that contains lots of questions and answers.

I've suggested it before - we should have a sticky in the main forum welcoming new members and guests. It should have in it a guide to posting, using the Search facility and how to do various things - how to become a Premium Geek etc.

Most forums have a 'Read this before you start' sticky of some kind

It would make perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

Trin
xx

Couldn't agree more. Think we've had a good week's worth of repetitive stuff.

To search, double click on 'search' and a box comes up so you can type in whatever you are looking for.

lell said:
Righty Ho in my first post on this thread I didn't say DON'T EVER POST. All I said is do a search if you can't find the answer then post. I love to help people and over the years have answered many questions and have sent and received many pm's, I will always help no matter what.
My post was not getting at anyone or having a go, It was just an informative post to let geeks( especially new ones)know that there is a search facility and if used its a very valuable tool to get lots of different opinions on the subject you need answers on.
We don't always get the answers we need when we post so just think of the search facility as a big nail book that contains lots of questions and answers.

Fairy Nuff xx

99.9% of the time I think it would be fair to say that I and others answer the same questions again and again and never a sign of impatience. In fact I have given allot of time to the young lady who I got impatient with today ... allot of time and replied to many many questions she has posted on this site. Happy to do so.

As I said in the other thread ... even I can reach the end of my patience and I did so today because this topic has been debated so heavily this week and there have already beed ruffled feathers over it and and a thread closed and it seemed to me like ... here we go again time!!

I was however not being sarcastic or trying to 'scold' just saying it like it really is. Forgive me for not being perfect and having the perfect patience of a saint and never getting irritated ... but today I was. Now I'm over it. Can't blame PMT at my age either!!

I posted a while ago on a subject I found nothing on in the search facility. One response was very short and said I should basically "go search". I tried again and stilll couldnt find the help I needed.

The response I got made me feel really unwanted and stupid.

Luckily a couple of other people responded which mad me feel a bit better. I still never got the answer but on reflection I think I was asking quite an akward question about what training I should do next.

If its a case of someone really needing to do a search I think a subtle nudge in that direction is best and not a telling off or an abrupt reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back