thumb sucker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittenclaws

gona be slim geek
Reaction score
my daughter is 9 and has been sucking her thumb since birth, i have tryed sooooooooooooooooo many times to stop her doing it but failed, she even likes the taste of the stop and grow stuff, tonight while cleaning under her nails i noticed her thumb nail is becoming softer and softer and it is very ridged and white, the ridges are probably from her teeth
is there anything i can do that may help as i can see it becomeing very sore, has anyone else come accros this problem?
i did try painting her nails and doing a little nail art as i thought if they looked really pritty she might not want to ruin them but it didnt work

my daughter sucked her thumb till she was 11, i think senior school helped to stop her,they seem to grow up all of a sudden, but up till then i tried everything but with no luck.
i think they will grow out of it when they are ready, and trying to stop them makes them do it more. her thumb is bigger than the other and nail plate is shorter, she is nearly 19 now.

The dentist told my son he had to stop sucking his thumb as it wasn't good for his teeth, he was about 4 or 5 at the time.

I think those words from an authoratitive figure helped.

My other 2 still suck their thumbs and their thumb nails are soft and peel....I'm hoping for the same miracle from the dentist in the future for them too!!

Both my neice and nephew sucked their thumbs and their mums tried everything going. My nephew is now 15 and has stopped but I suspect he still does it at bedtime and my neice is 22, she did not stop until she was really late teens. I think it is something that they grow out of. Not much help really - sorry :sad:

I am in the same boat! My daughter is 7 yrs old, soon to be 8. She has been told by the dentist to stop, and her teacher. However it has made little to no difference. She doesnt even realise she is doing it. I have tried everything! Rewards, nail art, encouragement, scolding, patience, plasters + bribary. Not all at the same time of course!

This is a true habit as she has sucked her thumb since birth. I have not solved our problem. Good luck.

Julie

One of my friends is 40 this year and still sucks her thumb lol When tired or bored. She has tried everything but still does it. :irked:

lell said:
One of my friends is 40 this year and still sucks her thumb lol When tired or bored. She has tried everything but still does it. :irked:

Here's an embarassing admission.....I still suck my thumb and I'm nearly 36!!!! There I've said it, no going back now eh?!! anyway, just to reassure all you mums with thumb suckers - my thumb nail is absolutely fine, I don't have bucked teeth and as I only suck my thumb at night in the privacy of my own home, I'm not a social outcast either (yet!)lol!!

Me to, I still suck my thumb and I am 36, but on saying that, it is only when I am overtired or feeling unwell, must be some sort of comfort for me!Donna

yep i suck mine too. in 23. i have a rag.. called 'baby' which i use. Countless people have tried to go me to stop but i cant!!! i guess its like people who want to quit smoking!!!!! but its not health damaging so im not bothered, its sooo relaxing!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back