Tips- to keep or share?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essence Within

Reaction score
Hi, my question is related to myself as a therapist. I work in a salon where up until today we have been allowed to keep our tips for ourselves. Cash goes in an envelope by til which we can collect when we want it or tips on card are written down and put in our envelope- at the end of month manager tallies up the amount and puts in on wage which then gets taxed but ive still been getting about £50. We have just got a new receptionist and manager decides today her bright idea is for myself and other therapist plus hairdresser to split our card tips with the receptionist so she has some as due to her being an 'integral'part of the team she feels this is fair!!? Now, dont get me wrong im all for fairness and team work etc etc but until now we havent even been splitting them between us who are working therapist.hairdresser and now it feels like we are expected to work are ass's off to donate a share of what is 'our own personal money' to the receptionist when she isn't putting anythin ginto the pot?? Manager replied to my unhappiness on subject by saying clients are paying for 'service' as a whole not just us- but I feel this isn't true as sometimes clients dont have cash so add it onto their card payment but its meant for us. If 2 therapists have worked on them or therapist/hairdresser i dont mind splitting but receptionist? Surely she knows doing her career its not one where you typically get tips? I feel like manager thinks im being selfish as other therapist wont speak up! Its also because this hasn't been a rule since day one so unfair to implement now? What do you all think? :cry:

Last edited:
I think it's unfair too.
The clients are tipping you for the service you gave them.
I own a salon and when i'm on reception clients specifically say 'can you give this to Tina/Louise please'.
I don't think your clients would be best pleased if they thought their tips were not going where they thought they were going.
Your boss should explain to the receptionist that this is the case in most salons.
If i was you, i'd be annoyed!

The client is tipping YOU as a thank you for the perfect service you gave her/him and I dont think you should share it with the receptionist, other therapist or hairdresser.
xx

I didn't realise that tips were taxable!
When I give a tip it's to the therapist/stylist/tech, it's not for anyone else. As a client I would be jolly cross to discover that it's going to someone else, and I would be having a word with the manager to register my disapproval, and to ensure that the tip goes to the therapist concerned.

hi ive just opened a salon and my hairdresser keeps tips on the day..

i wouldnt tax her tips as i dont think thats fair plus didnt think anyone did tbh.

As regards the taxing of tips, it's true that they are taxable, or at least they were when I last spoke to the tax office. As such irrespective of fairness it is indeed a legal obligation to declare them - I believe it's the same with 'gifts'.

HMRC are clever, they use the data from all the tax returns and work out as a percentage how much money each type of business makes in tips, credit card vs cheques and cash etc. When your time comes for a tax inspection they will expect your figures to be similar to their expectations.

Therefore, I think the salon owner is being very responsible declairing his/her staffs tip money to the tax man.

However I'm not sure it's fair giving other peoples tips to the receptionist. The tip money isn't being used to make her money up is it?

Jes

Hi, my question is related to myself as a therapist. I work in a salon where up until today we have been allowed to keep our tips for ourselves. Cash goes in an envelope by til which we can collect when we want it or tips on card are written down and put in our envelope- at the end of month manager tallies up the amount and puts in on wage which then gets taxed but ive still been getting about £50. We have just got a new receptionist and manager decides today her bright idea is for myself and other therapist plus hairdresser to split our card tips with the receptionist so she has some as due to her being an 'integral'part of the team she feels this is fair!!? Now, dont get me wrong im all for fairness and team work etc etc but until now we havent even been splitting them between us who are working therapist.hairdresser and now it feels like we are expected to work are ass's off to donate a share of what is 'our own personal money' to the receptionist when she isn't putting anythin ginto the pot?? Manager replied to my unhappiness on subject by saying clients are paying for 'service' as a whole not just us- but I feel this isn't true as sometimes clients dont have cash so add it onto their card payment but its meant for us. If 2 therapists have worked on them or therapist/hairdresser i dont mind splitting but receptionist? Surely she knows doing her career its not one where you typically get tips? I feel like manager thinks im being selfish as other therapist wont speak up! Its also because this hasn't been a rule since day one so unfair to implement now? What do you all think? :cry:
Hi, I totally agree you should not have to share your tips with the receptionist. I personally have always collected my tips for that day and if I had a junior helping me I would give them something depending on amount, but that has always been my choice and I believe that it should be yours too. If I was in your situation I would ask on the % split that each of you get before I voiced my complaints again! I would then neg that % down for the receptionist! ask how that % is worked out? Time spent with client? Divided by the no of people?

The other thing I was thinking, why do you need a receptionist for only 3 professionals? In salons I have worked in the junior or one of us would cover reception between us. I understand that it is required in salons of size, professional image ect. Maybe a more experianced geek could give their opinion?

Hope you sort this out, good luck.

Hi, I agree that your tips is are own hard earned little boost , for standing there for long hours sometimes with no lunch hour and putting your heart and soul into cutting colouring and and styling peoples hair
and for them to tip you and for you not recieve it in full is disgraceful
also to take complete control of your tips and share them out without your full permission is beyond belief,:eek:

If you did me a nice hair cut and I tipped you , I would be pretty annoyed to find out it went to someone else ,

I know it would be far better if everyone kept their own tips , then at the end of the week you could let your boss know exactly how much you earned in tips for his tax reasons ,
as this at least would give you control of your own tips

But.... on the other hand do think hard and carefully beore saying anything just yet!..
because although it seems unfair
being an oldie I have seen this all before... and usually...if you are on your own about this tip sharing problem... and others are not backing you up ,

I have seen the results of such things,
and some disgruntled receptionists can make a busy Stylists booking column dwindle to almost nothing overnight :eek:
I know it isnt fair or right but... as the the receptionist is usually the first port of call in a salon, she has a lot of control who she books the clients in with so...... I would think hard before saying anything more
but its your choice really ,
I can only say that if it were me I wouldn't like it either but if I had no support from other stylists I would just put up with it.
:hug: x minky

In my salons, the stylists are expected to share thier tis with the junior who assisted them only if the client didnt tip the junior seperately. Therapists get their own tips and are passed on in full. We discourage clients from adding tips to card payments.
Most industry prof believe that tips are an important part of our income, and is a way for the client to express thanks for good service.
So, the junior washed the hair, the stylist did the hair, what exactly did the receptionist do? I do not know of any salon, even in the west end, where the receptionists share the tips.
What next, the salon floor mopper taking a cut?
Stand your ground and say no!

thanks guys for your input- much appreciated!! Don't think it'll make much difference, the manager seems to have made her mind up so dont know why she even bothered asking our opinion?! She has basically put it that if I/we are not happy about it she will go back to her business partner(the one who just agrees with whatever she says i think) and will re-think. However she put it as slightly blackmailing by saying ' shall i just tell you in most places you dont get a say in tips' and ' some businesses just absorb the tips into them'!!? i just think like you guys have said, the clients tip to say an extra 'thank you' along side their payment. Just wish she could see its not just ME with this view. Oh, and she isn't declaring the tips whether we have them individually or as a 'team' so doesn't apply, it was more of a indirect threat i think to make me agree with her stupid idea!:cry: Thanks again- enjoy your day x

I'm certainly no employment law expert but I would have thought that if this practise of having tips added to your pay packet then taxed was a regular occurance, then over time it becomes part of your 'implied' terms of employment. Or standard practise, something like that anyway.

Basically it means that if she changes these terms, ie changing your pay, in effect she is in breach of contract.

thanks guys for your input- much appreciated!! Don't think it'll make much difference, the manager seems to have made her mind up so dont know why she even bothered asking our opinion?! She has basically put it that if I/we are not happy about it she will go back to her business partner(the one who just agrees with whatever she says i think) and will re-think. However she put it as slightly blackmailing by saying ' shall i just tell you in most places you dont get a say in tips' and ' some businesses just absorb the tips into them'!!? i just think like you guys have said, the clients tip to say an extra 'thank you' along side their payment. Just wish she could see its not just ME with this view. Oh, and she isn't declaring the tips whether we have them individually or as a 'team' so doesn't apply, it was more of a indirect threat i think to make me agree with her stupid idea!:cry: Thanks again- enjoy your day x
I have to say I nearly exploded when I read what your manager said to you about most businesses not allowing you a say in your tips.That is utter rubbish.Your tips are your tips,nobody elses and you need to stand your ground and say that whereas if she feels she wants to give the receptionist a cut in her tips then feel free,however you have decided that you do not wish to do so and will NOT be doing so.Dont be bullied by her into agreeing,it's not her money to be making decisions with,it's yours so stand your ground.Good luck cherub:hug:

Here Here! Well said Babsann!

i feel that its the salon who should be paying appropriate wages to reward the receptionist for her level of service. they shouldnt expect you to do so.
the clients want to reward the person who gives them the treatment.

worrying though what minky says about the receptionist being in control of your bookings .

does anyone actually know how the receptionist feels about this policy, i'd feel quite embarassed taking other peoples tips.

Big discussion on this one in our office !!!

Tax wise......................yes tips are tax deducatable, it is a legal requirement. Please rememeber that the HMRC although generally slow............will realise that something is amiss if you operate a PAYE system for a service such as beauty and hair and No tips go through !

Is it fair.......................................to be honest probably NO...................................Is it reasonable............................probably yes, according to the duties that the receptionist is performing for you. Is she polite, have a great telephone manner, does she have networking contacts, does she proivide your clients with tea, magazines, make sure that they are comfortable if they are waiting for you , is she taking future booking, pining clients down !, does she follow up and make sure that the clients remember appointments and makes sure that they re book if they cancel !!!! A good receptionist is a god send to a salon.

Personally I would do as pink orange suggest and find out exactly how much of a % the receptionist will get from the card tips and see if there is any negotiating to be done.

Unfair. PERIOD.
The receptionist is NOT doing the same work that you are doing, NOR does she have the required skills and schooling to do what you are doing. Her level of 'customer service' is not near what yours as a tech or hairdresser would be as her direct involvement with clients if minimal in comparison.

If clients are expected to tip receptionists, then why aren't receptionists tipped at offices??? Reception is NOT AT ALL like hairdressing, or waitressing or esthetics.

Here in Quebec/Canada; hairdressers/waitresses/gas station attendant/pizza delivery etc, and other similar positions have a lower 'minimum wage' stipulated by government because they are expected to add to that wage with their tips. Their performance with the client directly affecting those tips. Poor performance, poor tips.
Here, the owner may NOT touch your tips or decide how they are handled. They go directly to you UNLESS the client pays the tip by credit card or debit card, then it goes on YOUR paycheque and is NOT divvied with anyone else.

Receptionists, however, have a higher rate of minimum wage because they are NOT expected to get tips. Reception is generally NOT considered a 'customer service' type of position.

HOWEVER if you were expected to share your tips with your assistant who cleaned up the hair from the floor, washed the client's hair, handed you rollers for the permanent, etc..... That would be different.

Are there not labour laws of some kind where you are that protect you for that sort of thing?
Can you not put a 'tip jar' at your work station?

best of luck
:hug:

Can you not put a 'tip jar' at your work station?

best of luck
:hug:

This is a great idea that Victoria has suggested
also try wearing a uniform with pockets as most happy clients will usually pop it in there too :hug: x minky

My god i'd be furious if i were you!!! Thats so unfair and typical of the receptionist to think of the idea since it benifits her and im pretty sure the clients will be furious to find out where their tips for the hairdresser or therapist whos service they were pleased with were going. As for your manager she clearly does things by the book. Why not suggest when you go back in to have tips boxes with all your names on including the receptionist so if they feel the receptionist has done a good enough job fitting them in and chatting with them while they're waiting they will. I wouldn't be able to not tell the client who is tipping me where there money is really going and that i wasn't getting all of it. Grrr really makes me mad when people take the piss out of their staff like that

well im not sure how the law stands on this but i would of thought she has no legal right to take part of your tips from you a tip is a gift from your client directly to you meaning it is lawfully your money god she may as well go in your purse and take some of your money because this is what she is doing by taking part of you tips! i would definatly not stand for this! it is most unfair and as someone mentiond before im sure your clients would be most anoyed to know the tip they were giving you was being halfed with the receptionist.
no disrespect to the receptionist but its the therapist that puts in the hard graft and extra effort to ensure the client is happy and this is why they are rewarded with a tip! unfortunatly yes tips are taxable! xx

Latest posts

Back