To sculpt or to tip...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive got a booking tommorrow night for2 sets of nails. I asked the client what she prefferred to have ie sculpt or tips she said not bothered whatever i thought best.

So any advice on what i should do.My sculpting is getting much better, however suffering a little with the weather at mo (excuses i know).
How do i explain in English the diff between the two.

Any help please geeks...

:wink2:

Hiya,

Using a tip simply gives you a 'false' platform to create extra length and on which to apply the product, it doesn't give any extra strength and tipped nails may need to be removed and re-applied when the tips grow out. (if you apply the tip too far down the nail they are also more likely to break)

With sculpting, you use the product to create the extra length required so no need to remove and apply as above. Nails should also be stronger, as they are 'pure product' - you don't have the weak area where tip meets nail plate. Sculpted nails are also quicker, no need to size, fit,apply and blend as with tips.

Personally, unless the nail shape dictates a tip is required, I would sculpt every time.

Hi Louise

I would start from the start in your initial consultation. Ask about lifestyle, work, fashion preference etc.... At the end of the day you are the professional and the client is going to look to you for YOUR recommendation, most clients don't really understand the difference in service options!!

Look at the natural nail condition and see what you have to work with.
If she has nice natural nails with a bit of free edge then sculpting is def the way to go, you don't want to shorten them up if you don't have to!
Also if they are hooked then sculpting will allow you to correct this look.

If the nails are ski jump or bitten, or broken back to the hyponichium then go for tips.

As Bryony mentioned, tips are not going to be as strong as part of the enhancement is going to be a thin layer of plastic held on by adhesive.. Using just resin is going to be stronger (if scupted well....)

If you are not confident with sculpting and don't beleive you will do a good job then stick with what works well (For now....) Check out sams super sonic sculpting tutorial.
http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2754&highlight=super+sonic+sculpting
It's an excellent technique that will allow you to practise and perfect you sculpting! Hope that helps!!!

Envy

Latest posts

Back