TPTD. Part time, service, commitment ... Can these three words be used together?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you read my comment above I was posting about my circumstances and how the original post affects me and my circumstances.

I know I would not be able to commit 100% to each when Im fully up and running as even now just doing spray tanning and lashes whilst at my day job Im checking my business mobile for calls and texts occasionally so I know Im not giving 100% although I have just had my yearly assessment and scored 1/5 which is the highest rating I can get so I must be doing something right.

My overall commitment to my business plans have not wavered but whilst I am doing both I cant be everything to everyone and if for example someone isn't happy with there tan or eyelash extensions then I cant do much if they request to be seen between 8-4 what I can do though is mitigate these potential problems by making my customers aware that at the moment between these times I am unavailable but I will do everything I can outside of these hours to accommodate my customers.

PART-TIME

SERVICE

COMMITMENT (to customers and building a business)

... Can these three words be used together?

Care to discuss this? I'm not asking anyone to justify why they themselves only choose to work part time. I'm not asking anyone to take offence or to call me judgemental or rude or harsh or any of the other usual epithets. Simply the question.

... Can these three things be used together and have any real meaning?

Part time -that's me

- service - only within my limited hours .....I worry that if a client has service breakdown maybe I won't be available to support/fix/ etc. Maybe they'll choose a full timer over me. To be honest the worries are endless.

- commitment- I spend a lot of time wanting to put in more effort with marketing/website/Facebook BUT am often too tired from my mortgage paying other part time job!
I am totally committed when customer facing but that is a small part of the job ...

Do I plan to ever give it my all, why, yes indeedee :) but as a single parent to 11yr old twin boys I and my customers (if they choose to stay) will have to accept what I currently offer.

I have to accept I cannot please everyone and am not offended by Geegs opinion.

I work full time. I'm defending "part timers"
That is not defending my opinion and my opinion only.
I have put no words in anyone's mouths and I'm pretty shocked that someone who is so clearly talented, successful and experienced can twist what others say into an argument where there isn't one.

I seriously think the moderators should close this thread as its not constructive or helpful but is in fact demeaning and accusing. And is actually making some feel less confident about asking for help on this forum for worrying that they will be accused of being non commited or non competent. Both of which I have seen said before.

This forum is like a big family who all want to help each other to be the best we can. Lets keep it that way!

this thread is so bizarre. if it wasn't started by such a experienced and respected geek I would be calling out troll!

of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but stating a whole group of people arent committed or offering a service will be insulting to some. I know i could be more committed and offer a better service if/when I go full time. many people, myself included have agreed with the sentiment of this thread but not the black and white statement.

perhaps gigi would like to define what commitment and service mean to her as I think that is where this thread is falling down.

To me commitment doesnt mean spending 100% of my time and energy on just one thing. if it did I would have given up my jobs, family, friends, hobbies etc when I married my husband!

I worked full time in a salon for 7 years before having my first child.
I then worked part time, only working a Thursday night and Saturday. I kept hold of my best clients, who I still do now 18 years on.
These clients were happy to have my part time hours.
I have been self employed for the last 10 years and am extremely flexible with my hours, having gradually built them up as my children have grown.
All of my many clients are extremely considerate because I treat them well. This past few weeks I have worked more than full time hours because I can, but when I couldn't all those years ago, my clients were perfectly happy to fit in with me.
This is one big reason why I love this industry so much. It has proved very flexible and fitted in really well with family life.
If you have established clients, then I think you can work the hours you want.
If you're starting out and want good reliable custom, then flexibility is the way to go. (In my opinion) ;-)

Commitment is the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity, etc.. It is also known as a pledge or an undertaking.

"Customer service is a series of activities designed to enhance the level of customer satisfaction – that is, the feeling that a product or service has met the customer expectation."

Part-time workers in the United Kingdom are protected by legislation that states they should be treated no less favourably than full-time equivalent colleagues.[4]

In my opinion if you are doing/providing all the above what is the problem?They can go together.

I think it's time that part time/flexible workers are acknowledged correctly, they are now 40% of the back bone of industry, and without them business would collapse!

I did say to agree to disagree on this one! so hurt that You are still continuing with this Geek!

HURT

I have actually never understood why people want to put work first in their lives anyway.Work to live not live to work.Life is about so much more than struggling to make more and more money or be more successful.How is success measured anyway by how big your house is or what car you drive.The richest most successful people in the world are often the unhappiest.

I think that as usual, this topic for Discussion is turning into some people defending their choice (actually what I asked folks please not to do) rather than discussing the meaning of commitment and service along with part time working hours.

Of course people can give good customer care and attention within their part time hours but is that the true meaning of the word commitment and is it rather true meaning of commitment. To me it is part time for both ... Which doesn't make anyone a bad person or a bad operator or less good at what they DO but it also does not go along with the meaning of the words commitment or service. As I said in a previous thread, inevitably some customers that can not be accommodated will be disappointed. Customers with unreasonable demands may always be disappointed no matter what, whether one is full or part time, but demanding clients are another discussion entirely.

I have not personally judged anyone, either in this thought provoking thread, or in another thread where very few actually got the point of what I actually said (despite saying quite clearly what I meant to say) nor did I judge anyone, but they chose rather to take my comments personally and not to see the other side of the argument. Easier to Attack attack attack a person for having a different and valid opinion? Hold on there!! Isn't there enough of this going on in the world? Right to free speech and all that? Putting words in people's mouths, name calling. Those people should be ashamed of themselves; to me, that is allot more disgusting behaviour than holding a different opinion.

There are plenty who did 'get it' (my points) and for that I thank you. Carry on.

Geeg I hold the utmost respect for you, but.....opinion is one thing and is fine and individuals can agree to disagree. But to make an inflammatory statement, all be it not meant that way,"Part timers are Playing at business" is just that....inflammatory and you can't expect human beings not to react in an emotional way to such a statement. Balancing life,family,work is just that a balancing act, and yes you do have to look at all sides of the argument/discussion, but not everything is black and white and life just isn't that. Richard Branson started out in business part time, because his other commitment at the time was his university degree, but I'm sure if I ask him, he wouldn't be saying that he was playing at business. He was committed, gave service but also part time. X

Yet again a thread has gone pear shaped because people are choosing to take offence where none was meant.

Sometimes if you do not agree with something it is better to walk away than to light the blue touch paper and scream "offended"

Most of you have taken this down to personalities rather than go with a global discussion and that is not fair.

Closed for the time being!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back