twelve yr old enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nail_star2003 said:
I do completely understand and agree with most points being raised. However, I don't want anyone to think that I'm a money-grabbing tech - I'm not!!!! I am a very responsible nail technician, who has built her business around recommendation rather than advertising. I would also like to point out that I wouldn't just do this on any 10 year old!!!! I used to say no to anyone under the age of 16 unless it was for a special occassion whereby they would come back to me for their soak off straight away.

I felt that this situation was different. There was no option that this girl was not going to have her nails done. Therefore I felt it better for her to come to me rather than being 'attended' to by another tech. To use an old phrase it was the lesser of two evils. Yes, I agree, I could've said no but I didn't because I know that I would be doing less damage than somewhere else locally.

On another point, my next youngest client is 26!!!!!!!!!

Okay - this is cool but did you ensure that your Insurance Provider covers you for treating this child ? My insurance provider only lets me treat persons over the age of 16? I have consulted BABTAC, ANT, Cornhill Alliance to mention a few and they don't and won't cover under 16's even with the parents concent - even if in blood....lol so I hope you are covered for your own sake

Hi guys,
this has been discussed with great posts on here before and I replied to this post and I am still off the same oppinion......I would rather they come to me than go to a Salon that just bungs em on and sends em out the door, with no aftercare advise, no client record card and no parental consent.......

The Nailplate is Keratin, Keratin that is dead is does nothing exept protect the end of your fingers.....the nailplate renews itself within six months, responsible Technicians do not cause damage to the nail plate nor the matrix......we do not remove keratin when we apply enhancements..........So age itself is not a contra indication, but to some it is an ethical or moral contra indication.......I will take my guidance on that from the parent.......I am not her parent..... I am a Nail technician.....

I wrote this in September 04:

This is a tricky one ......
Well we are talking enhancements her, not tattoos of skull and crossbones on the body.................
not body piercing , which yes can be classed as an assult on a minor...if they are under 16 and the parents want to press charges..........
these types of treatment involve breaking the skin and are invasive to the body.......
How many wouldn't bat an eyelid if a young girl of 13 or 14 wanted to have her hair highlighted ????? Streaked or coloured, even if it is a tint lol.....These are Chemicals too !!!!!!!......
How many Mums take their young baby girls to have their ear pierced and the baby's don't even get the chance to say....no mum don't let them do that to me !!!!!!

Now here is my view:

If I had a teenage girl come to me and ask for enhancements for a prom or wedding or anything special, would I do it..........Yes, with parental consent, without it no way.............
Because any teenager that is set on having their nails enhanced will do so, if I don't so it, you can bet the salon next door will ............
If I do it I know, there will be no nail plate damage, she will get Fabric# enhancements and not L&P.......(quick soak off if need be afterwards, followed by a fab manicure)......
Her parent will sign the consent form and on this it states as it does on any of my client record cards, that I will not be responsible for them after she has left my care.......
We go through the client consultation card, step by step..lifestyle, activies, medical yes the whole grown up scenario...........

It also states clearly on my record cards that enhancement removal should be done by me or another qualified Technician................She will also receive an aftercare leaflet............

I have success story's too..........
Girl 13 severe nail biter and a shy sort of girl............
Well her mum begged me to do her nails as she was to be a bridesmaid for her sister wedding...........So I did them, a real labour of love it was too.........
Did her sisters to..........
Ok the 13 year old, looked after her nails and is now a 15year old with the best kept nails for miles........beats some of my mature ladies for sure.....solar oils them, doesn't pick, does not use them as a tool......they are kept nice a neat and active length........ level with the free edge..........Oh and did I mention she is a confident 15 year old that does now use her hands an awefull lot when she talks...............

Her big sister,def not a teenager, nope bit them off before you could say................... pass me the file and buffer chuck!!!!!!! So the moral of the story is............. Judge each case individually......parental consent........not every 13 or 14 year old is the same.......... some actually behave more like grown ups ,then the grown ups do or should do...................

Could you imagine if I had said no .......... they would have gone the MMA and drill route............. They where ten a penny here in East London a couple of years ago.......

JMHO xxxxx

Hiya

I would deffo say no to a CHILD so young!!!!! Maybe if they were 15 then i would have to use my discretion, but 10 and 12 no way hosay, what we should be doing as technicians is educating them to take care of their own nails and have manicures!!!! This does alot for people who are nail biters as they can see the difference and improvement after just one manicure. Children are exactly that no matter how mature they pretend to be!

I have had parents bring children to me and i have refused, but what i have done is educted them and given them manicures and they respect me more for that!!!

Fair enough if they want them bad enough, they will go somewhee else and then when they are playing netball or whatever and it rips their nail plates off, who's at fault!!!! cos the parents certainly aint gonna blame their child are they!!!!

Amanda

Sorry I just don't get this manicure thing for nail biters of any age. I was a nail biter pretty much as soon as I had teeth. Nothing, but nothing would stop me. I tried the lot, I even got to like the taste of Stop n Grow!! It wasn't until the age of 36 that I discovered nail enhancements when our local nail bar opened, that I finally gave up the habit, and that was after wearing them for two years!!!!!! So I just don't see how a few manicures is going to make a child stop biting.

If a mum asked me that their sub 16 year old wanted nails enhancements then I would explain that they really aren't suitable for children at school, too much risk of damage etc etc. and most mum's understand this. But you get the odd one who insists that they will have them and like I say I'd rather I did them than they end up getting zapped by an e-file. Just like you'll see the odd parent in Claire's Accessories desperately trying to persuade their under 5 to have their second ear pierced even though they are screaming their head off after having the first one done. Some parents don't listen to reason.

Personally, I don't agree with under 16s having nail extensions, hair dyes / perms, tattoos(that are illegal anyway) etc, but so many have them now. Times they are a changing, be it for better or worse and young girls are so much more aware of fashion and style than we ever were in our generation. I have had 12 year olds in that look 18 plus and I have died of schock when they've said they're still at school. Maybe we parents are to blame that we allow our daughters to do this, but if you object then they'll only do it behind your back anyway, and I for one would much rather my teenage girls were up front with me and did it with my permission, than they go to some dodgy cheap old place that are crap and will take anyone regardless.

Yeah i see your point Sassy about nail biters, but in my experience i have had reular manicure clients and i have helped them break their habit and when i have seen them out and they run up to me showing me their beautifull healthy nails, well it kinda makes me feel really gushy (if you know what i mean)

It doesnt work for all though!!

Its is us as parents who are letting our children have this peirced and dressing them up like dolls........................i hate it!!! i have 2 step daughters aged 10 and 13 a liitle sis 11 and a daughter at nearly 7 and they ask for loads of things like second peicing and hair dyes and i absolutly hate it!!!!!! They are children.

For instance one of my clients freinds was out in one of my locals with her 14 yr old daughter getting drunk and all these young guys hanging around:mad: why is so many parents want their children to grow up so fast!!

Anyway i am rambling now lol
But IMO i wouldnt put any enhancements on any children aged 10 or 12!!

Amanda

Latest posts

Back