Underactive thyroid affecting my hair :/

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorganDazzle

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Found out friday I have an underactive thyroid, and one of the symptoms is dry brittle hair and hair thinning.

Now im using pureology repair products and kahm oil, and am attempting to cut out heat tools, and iv also switched from bleaching to semi colour, but this condition is giving me a dry scalp along with weak hair.

I know the previous bleaching wont have helped, but is there anything else I can do/ can be recommended to help rescue my poor hair?

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

I have the same problem. You can cut out heat tools, use terrific products, use a treatment mask regularly, drink loads of water, etc, etc, etc. The only thing that will really sort your problem is when your doctor puts you onto thyroid medication - and it can take several months to get to the level you need. Stick with it, you will get sorted.

I have the same problem. You can cut out heat tools, use terrific products, use a treatment mask regularly, drink loads of water, etc, etc, etc. The only thing that will really sort your problem is when your doctor puts you onto thyroid medication - and it can take several months to get to the level you need. Stick with it, you will get sorted.

Thanks for your reply :) xxx

Have been started on 25mg thyroxine, but all my maternal female relatives have it also and take around 75-100 a day so its going to be a long time before im on the right amount im sure. :( nice to have an explanation for the symptoms but boy its makin me feel low! Am actually considering a wig! Xx

Try not to let it pull you down, it gets better and even with the right meds you'll have off days but on the whole you will feel better. People don't understand until they have the problem how it makes you feel. Big hugs

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I too have an under active thyroid and it plays havoc with your skin & hair! Once you are on medication it will start to get better. You are using the same products I use & they are super for 'our' hair!! Don't use any straighteners etc until your stable & under control. The good news is IT WILL get better :)

Thanks ladies :) nice to know im not alone. My family are used to it so they weren't at all shocked but obviously for me its a whole new ball game!! Will carry on with what im doing and hope for improvement soon xxxx

Latest posts

Back