Urgent advice re: mens/lads haircut names

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a trade test at a Barbers this evening, i'm taking my son in to do a short back and sides layered top. I've been doing mens hair for more than 20 years now, so can do anything but my sister said that kids will go in and ask for a specific style by name like 'v cut' i've established what this is but do any of you know of any other 'names'. bit nervous now, haven't worked in a salon for years!!!:Scared::Scared:

mohawk (mohican but frayed looking finish on the longer hair)
Beiber (long and over the face like Justin Beiber)

Cant think of any others sorry!!

i had a lad come in ask for a caeser :eek: had no bloody clue wot he was on about , i sooo need to do a mens refresher course , lol

thanks, i've done the beiber but found some lads don't want it described as that:lol: caesar - is that complete with a ring of leaves!!

thanks, i've done the beiber but found some lads don't want it described as that:lol: caesar - is that complete with a ring of leaves!!

This is why I confirm what they want even if they say a name, if they confirm then when it's done say oh no I didn't mean that!! I re cut it and re charge them aswell!! As it's eaten into my next appointment! Harsh but they don't do it more than once and all come back! :)

OK, got a few more from Wiki,
Fauxhawk - like the Mohawk but without the shaving
Devilock - shaved short hair with 'tail' at the front!
caesar cut - where its all combed forward with a fairly horizontal front line
Psychobilly wedge - cross between a mohawk and a pompadour.

No mention of a v cut, from what I understand this is shaved from sides to the back leaving a v shaped section of unshaved hair at the back which is then layered and gelled or left flat?? would this be similar to the classic undercut of the 80's?

OK, got a few more from Wiki,
Fauxhawk - like the Mohawk but without the shaving
Devilock - shaved short hair with 'tail' at the front!
caesar cut - where its all combed forward with a fairly horizontal front line
Psychobilly wedge - cross between a mohawk and a pompadour.

No mention of a v cut, from what I understand this is shaved from sides to the back leaving a v shaped section of unshaved hair at the back which is then layered and gelled or left flat?? would this be similar to the classic undercut of the 80's?

I always blend my v cuts in, wish I cud show you coz it's the easiest way ever! But yu do get some that don't want it blended, but I think I have only had one!! Lol

so Bluerinse, a v cut is basically a normal graduated short back and sides but leaving a v section at the back instead of the slightly curved line following the occipital bone? that sounds easy enough - i would blend it scissor over comb or with the clippers - is this what you do? thanks.x

so Bluerinse, a v cut is basically a normal graduated short back and sides but leaving a v section at the back instead of the slightly curved line following the occipital bone? that sounds easy enough - i would blend it scissor over comb or with the clippers - is this what you do? thanks.x

Once you have done 10 you will be fine lol I normally ask what grade they want then start by shaving the v into the sides and down the back with half a grade higher, tidy ears and neck but don't cut any length off the hair that is hangin at the back in the v. cut the top and back then blend blend and blend some more, they normally go for a one or two. Google images of a v cut so u can understand easier, have I confused ya lol

Im like bluerinse and also blend the v cut,its a fairly basic cut,I always ask how much of the 'tail' they want leaving at the nape cos some have a small pony whilst some like it off iykwim?

can't find a google image of the back of a v cut, tried every way to describe it imaginable!

Don't judge it was my first attempt with no guidance what so ever lol hope it helps :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1316533817.266572.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1316533817.266572.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2,806
Thanks everyone, test was ok, did my sons hair, short back and sides layered through top ( his normal haircut) due to the shape of his head and the longer length he likes it on top I don't clipper much up the side but blend it in with scissor over comb, she felt i hadn't cut it in tight enough so I may need a bit of clipper training, i said of course i'd be happy to do that but explained why I hadn't done this on his hair. Added complication is that she used to be our saturday girl when I worked in a salon 20 yrs ago - I think the critcism was a way of putting me in my place.
Basically i think they are offering me a job - just going to sort out hours and let me know ( it may come back negative - who knows) feeling a bit stressed and wound up now - phew. Just to clarify - I've been cutting mens hair close into the sides for years - I know how to do it inside out - have to bow and admit failure to future employers though??:Scared:

Glad you done well, I've never had to do a trade test yet as I'm only qualified a few months but I have just moved to Dorset and will need to do one as soon as I find a salon that is hiring and even the thought of it makes me die inside!!! I feel I do good as I'm a more mature learner at 24 compared to most being 18ish but I'm so terrified being out of the comfort of the salon I trained in!! Anyway well done :o) xx

If it's a barbers it's more time practical to blend with clippers more than scissors, like you said it's a little bit of training, glad it went well for you and well done x

well done hunny let us know how you get on xxx

Latest posts

Back