voluntary work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylee8889

Reaction score
hi geeks hope your all ok. i would just like some advise really please guys. iv got my NVQ2 in hairdressing and hoping to start my level 3 in september aswell as a nail technician course. iv got a placement for 1 day a week in a salon but im really not learning anything apart from how to make a good brew lol. they have no time for me whatsoever and its really getting me down because i want to learn as much as i can :( iv applied for other salons but im having no luck. i dont get paid for my time there which doesnt bother me if i was actually learning something.... i really dont want to me there but i cant do my level 3 without having a salon placement :(:( is anyone else in the same situation??? i feel i cant even talk to the manager because shes horrible and acts like she dont even want me there anyway :S someone plz help xxxx

how about asking for apprentice jobs instead of voluntry. i find with voluntry positions they always have a lack of experience and people are less weary to try someone new, whereas if your an apprentice, the rate is slightly lower but you gain experience, and more importantly learn. Try asking where you are now to see whether a postions opens, You'll never know unless you try. In our line of work respect means alot, if you feel as though you cant even speak to your manager - how will you be able to speak to a nasty client asking for a refund? Just give it a chance and maybe she'll like that you have some initiative to ask inquisative questions. Good luck missy, be brave you can do it! xoxo

how about asking for apprentice jobs instead of voluntry. i find with voluntry positions they always have a lack of experience and people are less weary to try someone new, whereas if your an apprentice, the rate is slightly lower but you gain experience, and more importantly learn. Try asking where you are now to see whether a postions opens, You'll never know unless you try. In our line of work respect means alot, if you feel as though you cant even speak to your manager - how will you be able to speak to a nasty client asking for a refund? Just give it a chance and maybe she'll like that you have some initiative to ask inquisative questions. Good luck missy, be brave you can do it! xoxo

thankyou very much for your reply...if i do an apprentice would it affect my benefits in any way? im currently on imcome support and i thought if i was to do an apprentice they would deduct my wage from my benefits :S iv tried googling it but cant find any information about it. an apprentice is something i would really like to do but its just this concern thats holding me back, again thankyou xxx

Latest posts

Back