water marbling disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica brooks

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Decided to have a go at water marbling last night as i really liked the idea of just having it on tips. So i got a container with some water and dropped some bright red varnish in ( tried with the biosculpture and creative varnishes ), but when i dipped my tip in it had formed a kinda skin ontop of the water and just came out as a gunky mess on the tip?
Any idea's were i have gone wrong??

Thanks
x x

I had a nightmare with marbelling - and moaned long and hard about it on here for everyone to witness :lol:

Put marbelling in a search and you'll find lots of advise and posts about it - you'll also find a link to Laystars really simple step by step - which helped me loads.

Stick with it, you will get the hang of it

WOW!! Love the pic!!
So if i just drop another colour in and build it up abit and make sure the water isnt to cold it should work!!

Thanks for your help guys! :smack:

One thing I didn't realise was that you need to put a deep colour basecoat on - I expected the marbelling to be enough to completely cover the nail but it't not.

Chose you base colour then use the marbelling technique to add the fancy bits over the top - once I'd worked that bit out I was sorted

Thanx!
As Trin said check out water-marbling in the Search box.
Layla & I have answered many threads & lots of peeps have posted pics too.
You should find all you need but if you dont as well as other peeps...both Layla & I are just a shout away!
Good luck with it ....ooh and its really addictive once you get it right! :eek:

Trinity Nails said:
One thing I didn't realise was that you need to put a deep colour basecoat on - I expected the marbelling to be enough to completely cover the nail but it't not.

Chose you base colour then use the marbelling technique to add the fancy bits over the top - once I'd worked that bit out I was sorted

Trin....you use a deep coloured base coat?
I have always used a pale colour as a base to give the top colours a bit more depth. (though the pic above was just a quickie with no base colour hence colours are a bit washed out).
I personally found that a deeper base didnt let the watered down colours show properly....come on Trin ...piccies please...I wanna see the way you do it, lol!

do you all put vasaline on the skin to stop it from sticking to the skin? just a tip i was told once but I havent seen anyone mention it on here??? x

Glorsclaws said:
Trin....you use a deep coloured base coat?
I have always used a pale colour as a base to give the top colours a bit more depth. (though the pic above was just a quickie with no base colour hence colours are a bit washed out).
I personally found that a deeper base didnt let the watered down colours show properly....come on Trin ...piccies please...I wanna see the way you do it, lol!

Oh blimey - I don't tell the Goddess of Nail Art how to do stuff - I wouldn't be so impertinent :smack:

I think I probably worded it wrong really - I only had one success and it was with a deep pink - I did have pictures in the gallery but they've gone and I think you saw it anyway.

I meant you need a colour on the nails, rathen than expecting the marbelling to cover everything - I can't explain it now :lol:

Glorsclaws said:
Sounds like it could be the temperature....either the water is too cold, or the room could be cold.
The water temperature needs to be 'room temp' and the first colour you drop in will form a skin on its outside edge anyway...try to steer clear of catching this.

Heres one I did earlier...as they say!

http://www.thenailgeek.com/attachments/nail-art/1031-water-marbling-picture-1344.jpg?d=1111501264

OMG! THAT IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!! i'm going to have a go at it tonight... (i'm probably going to end up with polish up to my elbows:D )

i tried it today. not too bad for a first attermpt id say but i wouldnt charge for the artwork i produced today!

Trin, my little nail is so lonely! managed to get away with keeping it at college last night, i hid it!:wink2: i cant have any on til april now though, boo hoo xx x x

I suppose a dark coloured base coat would work if you used a light, pastel, creme based polish for your marbelling! That'd look pretty cool actually!!

I always use white though as my base ;-) I'll have to try a dark base though, thanks for the idea Trin!!

Latest posts

Back