waxing and diabetics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platnum_babe

Reaction score
hi can any one help me please.
i have a question on my beauty course which is what advice would you give to a client who is diabetic before waxing?
i have looked all over the net for an answer but cant find one. can anyone help please. x

I'm a student who just finished a waxing module, and my teacher's instructions were to have the client check with their doctor first.

I'm a student who just finished a waxing module, and my teacher's instructions were to have the client check with their doctor first.

That would be check with their diabetic nurse by phone first, doctors will not like having their time wasted by this type of thing and its not unusual for the nurse to be more clued up then the doctor. In fact doctors are now refusing to write letters for this type of thing as well. Which is really unhelpful when you are trying to do the right thing:rolleyes:
I'm not picking a fight with you hun, you have been told something far more reasonable then a lot of collages say, a lot of them just say its a contra so don't do it:irked:
If you pm Axiom he has an article on this subject that is bang up to date from the diabetic association uk
Please don't let it put you of treating a diabetic, I have said this before, a few times but really I don't mind saying it again and again,
if you call your doctors surgery and ask to speak to the diabetic nurse after she has finished with her patients because you want to pick her brain, she should be really happy to help you to know, what you need to be careful about, and what questions you need to ask.

I'm very keen to treat most clients that come to see me as I see it as being quite unhelpful to just refuse people because it may take a bit of work on my behalf. I did phone my insurance company about this the other day and they advised me to obtain a G.P note before waxing a client who is diabetic.

I've got a letter that I send to the G.P, with all the client info and what they want done (which I change depending on what they are having done!) I send it with a duplicate for there records, a stamped addressed envelope for them to send me it back in and a leaflet on what they are having done. As its just a letter for them to sign I usually get a good response and I think the client appreciates that I've got there best interests in mind.

Here is a link to the diabetes article mentioned by Susie above:

Click me for articles!

Sorry to point people to an external site, I couldn't get the article to upload in high enough resolution on here. It was first published in Vitality magazine (BABTAC's excellent in-house publication for members) last year and the copyright belongs to them, so if they ask for this link to be removed I will do so.

The advice on waxing starts at the bottom of the second column on page 2 ("What to do if a client has diabetes") and echoes the advice that was given to me when I contacted Diabetes UK last summer, i.e. there is generally no reason not to treat a client who has their diabetes under control and who has no associated complications, providing the proper care is taken (which of course we should take with all our waxing clients :)).

As Susie mentioned, the client can also check with their diabetes nurse first if they are unsure and the Diabetes UK website has a host of additional information if you want to know more about the condition, what you need to look out for and what questions you need to be asking as part of your consultation - they are really helpful people. Actually I've just re-read this thread and also really like Faye's suggestion of how to approach a doctors' surgery if this is what your insurers require.

It's a bit of a personal mission of mine and Susie's to help dispel some of the unnecessary fear and misinformation about the condition within the beauty industry, lol, so you'll often hear us talking about it. Neither of us would ever frown on folks for being cautious and of course you should always work within the requirements of your insurance provider, but hopefully the attached information will help fellow Geeks understand diabetes a little more. Big thanks to BABTAC for publishing it in the first place.

HTHs

Andy

P.S. Just as a little addition, Platinum Babe - the advice regarding contacting the client's diabetes nurse or GP is probably what your college is looking for, but a bit of research on the Diabetes UK website will also help you to understand why. Good luck with your studies :hug:

Last edited:
At the end of the day, we are governed by our insurers. In the real world, people with varicose veins want their legs waxed and this can be done very safely if you know how...........same goes for a number of other conditions. BUT............like I say, we have to follow the guidelines of our insurers.

We're not doctors, we're waxers, so I think it's up to the client to prove that they are safe to be waxed. I can totally understand why doctors are getting p*ssed off with these enquires. xxx

Just to add to all the fab advice from Susie, Andy and Kimmi!

I have recently been told that I have type 2 diabetes, I have always advocated caution when waxing (prior to my diagnosis) and still will, HOWEVER I will reiterate the word caution - not for scaremongering but for insurance purposes.

I'm gonna shout now - FOR ME I LOVE THE RESULTS OF WAXING - ALL AREAS :eek: as long as you are aware and advise accordingly (again gonna shout) THERE IS NO REASON WHY YOU SHOULD NOT WAX IMHO!

A lot of people with type 2 diabetes have lived with it for several years before diagnosis (as I was) and therefore as I had no complications - with regard to skin and infection etc (I know, I know it doesn't mean that no one will have any) then I see no reason as to why I should stop, but again for those that may not be as clued up, then always advise them!

Finally, I know all this might sound as though I am rambling a bit, but we all know that in the UK we have to exercise caution BUT in reality IMHO waxing is OK to be carried out on someone with diabetes!

Right off Soap box and off to wax the granny hairs on my chin :wink2:

Latest posts

Back