Web Site.......... Help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEPHC195

Reaction score
I am looking into setting up a website but am so confussed where to staart.
Do you purchase the domain name and then set the website up yourself or do you get someone to do it for you and if so is it expensive.
I have looked on the web but there seem to be so many different sites selling domain names and i dont really even understand what that means!?!?

Any advice would be extreamly appreciated!!!!

x

It depends on your ability and what you actually want.

There are free web type sites where you just fill in the information and hey presto website. They are fine for a first site but the name is generally something like freewebs.stephsnails type of name. You can do a free site and then purchase a domain name and pay a small fee for web forwarding to your domain name.

If you have computer knowledge then you can do your own using various different software - I personally use Frontpage but there are others.

You then just purchase your domain name and pay for a host. I think I pay about £5 per month for hosting through 1&1.

Alternatively you could just put it in the hands of a web designer who would do it all for you but I would have no idea how much this would cost, but I dont think it is pennies.

Thanks Fiona, did you have to purchase the website software or is ait available free online? I am pretty computer literate and am confident I would do it myself, just don't want to spend a fortune doing it.
Also do you advetise your website on any search engines??

x

I'm sure some other geeks will be along to extol the virtues of free websites, but if you want the basic design to be done already for you then I would recommend Websites for Therapists - Welcome to HealthHosts. If you want they can register your domain name (which is the name of the website) for you.

Packages start at £4.95 per month and you can upgrade to more expensive packages as & when you want. They also offer online booking.

Thanks Fiona, did you have to purchase the website software or is ait available free online? I am pretty computer literate and am confident I would do it myself, just don't want to spend a fortune doing it.
Also do you advetise your website on any search engines??

x

Frontpage is one of the packages within the Office suite, depending on which version you have. If you can use Word, you can use Frontpage.

I have forwarded my website to as many of the search engines as I could - they trawl round on a regular basis and pick up links.

I just put acrylic nails daventry in to Google and I have several mentions LOL.

i use mr site for my other websites for my other businesses. amaon always have the best deal on them and the price includes the domain name. my mr site pro cost me about 70 all in , and i was able to do it all myself with the help of their clever package. I get a lot of hits and enquiries through them and think they look very professional. I love that i have total control over them, i cna make any changes i want when i want for no extra cost.

if you want to see one of website sto give you an idea, please let me know and ill give you the website address. (I am not sure if I am allowed to post it up here).

tigi

Yes please tigi could you pm me please??

Try freewebs huni. Believe it or not it's free lol You can pay for a domain name yearly and it's well easy to set it all up yourself, put pics on etc xxx

I use 123-reg for my domains, Domain name registration from 123-reg - they are very good value for money and let you do geeky things like changing DNS settings with no extra charge - very useful if you run your own web server.

I do web design, have designed a few sites for geeks on here, my most recent being Simply Stunning by Samantha - Mobile Holistic and Beauty Therapy - Shipley, West Yorkshire - have got a couple more on the go at the moment so wouldn't be able to take on any more work until some time in January - but if you can wait that long, then I am not ludicrously expensive.

I used Freewebs too, I did do an upgrade on it and purchased a domain name but its only cost about £50.00 ,you dont have to do all straight away , and there just one off payments.HTH.

I've used Freewebs for the past 4 years and it's super simple to use.
here's my site www.chris-spa.com
and freewebs site is www.freewebs.com
give it a try, it's free to set up you only pay when you want to buy your domain name.
Hope that's helpful!:)

Last edited:
I've used Freewebs for the past 4 years and it's super simple to use.
here's my site www.chris-spa.com
and freewebs site is www.freewebs.com
give it a try, it's free to set up you only pay when you want to buy your domain name.
Hope that's helpful!:)

Lovely site - excuse my ignorance :confused: but what is a French bikini?

I guess it depends on what you want and how much you can spend. The free websites others mention are great if your knowledge is limited and you want to get going quickly. However the down side is that sometimes you are limited by their templates and that you eventually have to pay to remove their name from your web address. Also you can sometimes tell the free sites from bespoke sites although some go to great pains to make it look very professional.

The other option is to get someone to do it for you - you will find lots of offers from people on here! The advantage is that it is personal to you and your brand and the code should be clean and up to date. Search engine optimisation should also be spot on - or do it yourself like I did. This takes longer but is much cheaper and you can alter it how you want but the learning takes time. :)

After months of looking at different site's and getting my self confussed, I have finally Finished my Website!!
I used www.Doyourownsite.co.uk ,
It was really easy and simple to use and It has great tools so you can design it all your-self!!
And Very cheap too!!
Thanks for all your advice though guys!!

I would go with 1and1.co.uk which is about £30 a year which includes your domain name (mine is www.guruholistics.co.uk and have had it for 2 years now)

or mrsite which is about £40 for the first year which includes domain name (mine is www.guruholistictraining.com which I've had for a month)

they have simple to use templates and you can change it constantly, you look through a number of templates to see what colour background you want, etc.

a tried the freeweb ones and they are really very good, but its worth paying for a domain name with it otherwise your website address looks pants.

Gonna let us that are nosey have a look?

Hi. I'm the marketing manager for Studio Tracker and have a number of years worth of marketing experience. I've written an article on how salon owners can use the Internet to their advantage and posted it to my blog. Let me know of you find it helpful. Thanks

After months of looking at different site's and getting my self confussed, I have finally Finished my Website!!
I used www.Doyourownsite.co.uk ,
It was really easy and simple to use and It has great tools so you can design it all your-self!!
And Very cheap too!!
Thanks for all your advice though guys!!

Thats who I made my website with as well, no complaints about it what so ever, you made a great choice there! :)

Gail xx

Latest posts

Back