Websites and search engines - help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlierush1983

Reaction score
I need HELP before i lose the plot.........

I have just done a website on Vista Print and was wondering if anyone knows how to set it up so that when someone GOOGLE's Nail Techs in Essex your website should appear.

The only way you can view my website at the moment is by knowing my comany name which is no use really.

I look forward to hearing from you all with advice. x

Hi I am just wondering this myself. I have a website with them too and the only way to view the website it by typing the full address in the bar at the top which isnt as good as , as you say, googling the business...glow tanning bromley etc. I spoke to Vista and they say that they inform google automatically of the new web site and they list it ( this takes a good 2 weeks as they have a back log). However I'm not gettting anything yet googling but it has not been the full 2 weeks yet..

Also, the amount of hits you have apparently makes your web appear when googling

does anyone else have any ideas?

I am glad i am not the only one!!!!! There must be a better solution then waiting two weeks i only signed up with them as they was offering one months free but whats the point if no one can see it. x

Hi,
It can take upto 6 weeks for google to recognise a website, they send crawlers out that look for web content. You can go onto google/yahoo etc and actually add your site yourself then they will look through it.

It took a while for me to get mine into google but I do come up in quite a few searches in google now. (Not the site I have at the bottom of here) I made my first one on mr site but didnt like it so made a better one on moonfruit.

Another way is to add your business to as many online free directories as possible as these often come up in searches and I often find my name in them lol.

Hope this helps :)

Forgot to say: At the bottom of my new site I have written key words very small and in a colour that is almost invisable but these key words are picked up by search engines.

EG: if you are in london and you do spray tanning key words could be: tanning london, spray tan london, spray tanning london, spray tanning technician london, mobile tanning london

My new site if you want a look is: www.blackpoolmakeupartist.co.uk

Last edited:
As it has been said you need to add your web link to as many free sites as you can this will help people find you when searching for services in your area.

Here are a few good ones.

Gumtree, freeindex, thomson local, yell.com

HTH

You need to give your website keywords...such as beauty, salon, nail, tans, beauty industry, etc etc Basically all words associated with your business/website.

It can take a while for your website to show in search engines too...You won't show up on page 1 straight away! If at all!!

It works something like this...spiders crawl through words on search engines and the more your site is picked up the more you'll move up the search engine. A good idea is to do link exchanges with similar sites...Its free and you both/all benefit from advertising each other and in turn moving up the search engine ranks.

Hope this helps...

Kim x

Go to the google home page then to.....I think its google business....then you can place your own link in there...Then you will get on the google list for your area HTH's x

What you are talking about is Search Engine Optimization. It can be a little complicated to understand, but working on it can be quite easy. There are many elements that play into your search rank in Google organically (i.e. not a sponsored/paid ad). I'd find some simple step-by-step directions on how to improve your SEO online, or buy a book and read up on it a little. If you put a little effort into it, you'll really reap the benefits.

Emerald is right, when you register with Google is takes a while for your site to appear and they check that you actually exist before they accept you.

As other people suggested, you could register with business sites in the meantime to try and direct traffic to your site. Also, have your address printed on all your stationary materials and include it in your email signiture (like I have done on here) as this will help put it in people's minds. Once you're fully registered with google you need to start a google adwords account to bid for keywords which relate to your business (this is all explained on their site).

For more free marketing advice see my blog. I have written a short guide to how to use the internet which is in there.

Hope that helps x

You need to give your website keywords...such as beauty, salon, nail, tans, beauty industry, etc etc Basically all words associated with your business/website.

It can take a while for your website to show in search engines too...You won't show up on page 1 straight away! If at all!!

It works something like this...spiders crawl through words on search engines and the more your site is picked up the more you'll move up the search engine. A good idea is to do link exchanges with similar sites...Its free and you both/all benefit from advertising each other and in turn moving up the search engine ranks.

Hope this helps...

Kim x

That helps Kim! I was wondering about this too! I only set up my website 1 week ago and was wondering why i couldn't google it. I will try freeindex, gumtree etc. Anyone want to do a link exchange???? My website is www.fakebakemobiletanningbylucy.co.uk

xx:lol:

Hi how do I find this blog?

Emerald is right, when you register with Google is takes a while for your site to appear and they check that you actually exist before they accept you.

As other people suggested, you could register with business sites in the meantime to try and direct traffic to your site. Also, have your address printed on all your stationary materials and include it in your email signiture (like I have done on here) as this will help put it in people's minds. Once you're fully registered with google you need to start a google adwords account to bid for keywords which relate to your business (this is all explained on their site).

For more free marketing advice see my blog. I have written a short guide to how to use the internet which is in there.

Hope that helps x

click on studiotrackers screen name then click 'go to blog'. hth

Hi also the more traffic you get going through your website the higher up in a google search you will get, If you set up a group for your business on Facebook, invite all your friends to the group also put a link on your wall, so you can get loads of people just having a nose at your website, this just helps it get bumped up too.xx

:idea: To help Google index your site you can use Google Webmaster tools.

When at the Google page you will see login in the top right.
Register there, then when logged in click on Webmaster tools.
Follow instructions, I cannot go through everything in this message, but you need to verify you site (add code to the first page).

Creating a site map and adding this to the site then pointing Google to it allows Google to 'crawl' and index your site better (finding more information which can then be found by people searching).

Another Google tool to use is Google Analytics, this provides you with visit information and loads of statistics!

:)It is generally better to have a lot of product information and keywords on your home page, product overviews and images, are catchy when you arrive at the site, then links to the other area's of your site from there, this makes it easier for search engines to crawl your site.

Also adding your company details to online directories helps, there are a lot of free ones, then when searching people find your site through the directory and link to your site, the more links you get from other sites helps raise the profile also.

Putting you location on the home page might help, people searching for salons in <your town> might find you easier, mention <your town> on the site where possible even at the top of each page, <your salon name> - <your town>, or some other subtle method to get your location mentioned often.

There are many ways to make your site be found, none are the best, doing everything you can helps. The ones I have mentioned are relatively easy and free.

:eek: If the Google stuff is over the top for you don't worry, but if you do feel like trying it and get stuck, just ask for help....

Latest posts

Back