What did it cost you to start in a rented place?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have water meters. The bills are never bad considering hair washing and our washing machine is on constantly. The rates are high because of the area I'm in and the size of the salons. Sometimes I would love a tiny salon, just big enough for me.....

Sometimes I would love a tiny salon, just big enough for me.....

See that's all I want. I've tried the renting a room thing and working from home, but they just aren't right for me.

The room I rented went pear shaped because she decided to bring in other people to do spray tanning at the same time I was settling in and her daughter did acrylics and nail care, so all I had to myself that I could price according to what I wanted was the waxing.

Then when she moved premesis she said I could rent the nail station from there and we agreed she would call me in if someone wanted something doing, but I've not heard a ****ie bird in 4 weeks and my sister (who still has her hair cut by her) went in last week and the hairdresser said, 'I was going to call Sarah last week cos I had a set of nails for her to do', er, where was the phone call then?? :rolleyes:

Then she went on to say that she has a fabulous beauty girl working there and when my sis asked what she could do, she replied 'everything'!! FFS!

Working from home is ok but has it's limitations where privacy is concerned, so that's why I'm on the lookout for a small premises of my own, and trying to do a business plan (unsuccessfully I might add :cry:) with figures etc.

Thanks for all your help girls, you've been great :hug:

Don't give up! Keep plucking away at it as the business plan once finished is well worth it in the end.

My first salon I spent nearly ten grand setting up and then that again over the folloing twelve months as I didn't stick to my plans.

I can't give you exact figures as I had all inclusive rent in most salons I owned = happy days!

I do have some business plan outlines if that will help you?

We are thinking of opening a shop at the minute doing nails/tanning/lashes & brows. We already have a client base so thats a large problem solved but the rest is hard work.

When you agree to take a shop on ensure you are not entering a repair and maintenance lease where you are repsonsible for fixing anything on the inside or outside of the building if it goes wrong.

Also check that your able to get a break in your lease after 12 months then 3 years etc. Then if your business fails you can get out.

The way the economy is now though is super for negotiating on everything, so what you do get quoted always try to better it.

Of course gas, electric, water, rates and rent are often static you can try save in other areas. I am not saying cut corners - just shop around.

Also theres a lot of empty shops at the minute and landlords desperate for tenants. Even at the height of the boom most landlords allowed a three month rent free period to allow you to fit out the shop etc.

Sorry I can't give costs as such but hope that helps a litle.

Good Luck

xx

yes i agree with the break clause after 12 months also. which is what we did so at leas at the worst id be stuck for a year in the contract if it wasnt working out.

Don't give up! Keep plucking away at it as the business plan once finished is well worth it in the end.

My first salon I spent nearly ten grand setting up and then that again over the folloing twelve months as I didn't stick to my plans.

I can't give you exact figures as I had all inclusive rent in most salons I owned = happy days!

I do have some business plan outlines if that will help you?

We are thinking of opening a shop at the minute doing nails/tanning/lashes & brows. We already have a client base so thats a large problem solved but the rest is hard work.

When you agree to take a shop on ensure you are not entering a repair and maintenance lease where you are repsonsible for fixing anything on the inside or outside of the building if it goes wrong.

Also check that your able to get a break in your lease after 12 months then 3 years etc. Then if your business fails you can get out.

The way the economy is now though is super for negotiating on everything, so what you do get quoted always try to better it.

Of course gas, electric, water, rates and rent are often static you can try save in other areas. I am not saying cut corners - just shop around.

Also theres a lot of empty shops at the minute and landlords desperate for tenants. Even at the height of the boom most landlords allowed a three month rent free period to allow you to fit out the shop etc.

Sorry I can't give costs as such but hope that helps a litle.

Good Luck

xx

Thanks for that hunny, I will pm you :)

xx

I only pay £330 pm for 3 small rooms within a department store. I am lucky cos it is all in so that is my only cost for my rooms. i don't have staff, it's only me. I have been in business here for a year now, prev working from home and I reckon that I am now slightly worse off than when I was working from home, even though my turnover has doubled. I do like going out to work, but I am far more stressed and I work much harder and my family see me less.

Would I do it again? I honestly don't know. If I had the spare room at home I think I would probably go back home now, because I have a lot more clients.

good luck and remember to negotiate everything. In this climate you could probably get a cheaper place to rent.

I only pay £330 pm for 3 small rooms within a department store. I am lucky cos it is all in so that is my only cost for my rooms. i don't have staff, it's only me. I have been in business here for a year now, prev working from home and I reckon that I am now slightly worse off than when I was working from home, even though my turnover has doubled. I do like going out to work, but I am far more stressed and I work much harder and my family see me less.

Would I do it again? I honestly don't know. If I had the spare room at home I think I would probably go back home now, because I have a lot more clients.

good luck and remember to negotiate everything. In this climate you could probably get a cheaper place to rent.

Thank you guys all so much :hug:

That's the thing with me Cadence, I don't have a dedicated room at home. I have to convert my dining room into a nail bar, waxing room or tanning studio when ever I get an appointment! It's a P.I.T.A to be honest and I think also, I'm wary of things like the postman knocking, or the window cleaner turning up as I never know which day he's going to come (Imagine being in the middle of doing a Hollywood and the window cleaner turns up! :eek:). Plus the kids are always in and out so I'm getting pretty tired of turning people down because I don't feel that the time they want is going to be quiet and uninterrupted.

I don't want a room in a salon, been there done that, got the t-shirt and didn't get on with it. I didn't feel like I was my own boss.

So, there I am, trying to get along with facts and figures that don't seem to be adding up when I know I can make a viable business!

Sorry to go on, had a tiring day.

On the upside though, Carl (Extensionize on here) has made me a fab new logo which I'm well happy with :green:

xx

Latest posts

Back