What do you talk about?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what kind of conversations do you have with your clients?

How do you get to know them?Or do you keep it strictly professional?

I tend to just listen to what they have to say, they usually ask me about my qualifications, what I did before, whats happening at the time, things like that.

anything and everything ! depending on how it goes... i know the hard and fast rules are dont talk about yourself but i cant help it if there is no conversation flowing.....

normally get round to normal chit chat or try to find something in common even if its where have you been lately thats a good night out!

ambx

louise said:
Hi all,

I always let the client take the lead for the tone of conversation, if they want to get personal they will start the chatting. I still try and keep them out of my personal business.. somehow feels wrong your client knowing who/what your up to LOL. They often end up telling me all their personal stuff, but that's their choice. (also, never discuss religion, money or politics..!)
Sometimes we can sit there just quitetly, we all have different moods on different days.

I tend to in that case just get on with the job and drop in a little explination of what I'm doing so it's not a silent tense time...

Erm, I usually end up talking about myself, oops. I find most of my clients chat away like old friends so it's hard not to. I also keep my salon atmosphere informal & my regulars like that. If I'm busy when they come in they can sit with a mag & a cuppa & have a natter with my assistant. I find clients often come in early so they can sit on the sofa with a mag as they don't have time to do that at home!

It does depend on the client. Some clients want to talk about themselves, some want to forget about their own problems & some want to have a giggle. I do take my lead from the client. When I try to stick to certain topics, I always get sidetracked & end up talking about something completely different.

My topics of conversation have altered over the years,
as I suppose I've matured [hope sooo lol ]

I remember when I first started [ 80's]
All fashion - lots of q's about what we were doing[nails wise] anything and everything lol...And BIG HAIR......

As I matured in my Profession and had base of wide and differing client's
The conversation's broadened.
Really have learnt alot during some of those chats.[ Bless 'emxox]

Dont get me wrong tho.... I still love to chat to the younger ladies and keep up to date with whats hot n whats not.

But I must say as I work today..

A. Its ALL about them
B. SMALL insights into my personal fav this or that.
Unless of course we're talking about LUSH CND stuff.
Then Im firing on all 8 cylinders.... lol.........

XX J XX

nicjill said:
It does depend on the client. Some clients want to talk about themselves, some want to forget about their own problems & some want to have a giggle. I do take my lead from the client. When I try to stick to certain topics, I always get sidetracked & end up talking about something completely different.

hahhahaha - this sounds just like me

good convo is the best way to keep clients... ne1 can do great nails for them but they come back for you!!!! i allways open with nail convo doin a needs assesment for them. from then i just say... so tell me about yourself... let it go from there. after appt make notes on what u talked about so next time u can ask q's about it. this way they think WOW this girl takes an interest in ME!!!!they love it. i allways get their address and send a thank you as well as birthday, anniversary or sympathy cards if needed. knock their socks off and give them what others dont. i have become a friend and therapist to my peeps and theyll even book stuff just to talk if they r havin bad times and need an open ear.... good luck!!
louise said:
Hi all,

At the firt visit i explain everything i'm doing, what they should or shouldn't do while i'm doing their nails, the aftercare etc. Then i usually let them take the lead and let them talk about anything they want. Usually they talk about their work, family, spill out some problems, discuss some tv show like oprah... I usally follow the lead but i rarely speak about my personal life. I've mentioned a few times i'm excited about my new home to a few closer clients witch are also buying/renting new houses at the moment, but in the end i'll have to tell all my clients, since i'm home based...

I've worked in a salon, been mobile and been home based, and it's interesting how the conversation has varied due to the surroundings. When it's been mobile it's all about them, when it's been from my home then it's been far more relaxed and an equal quantity of their life and my life, and when I was salon based it was very much more on a professional basis and me keeping more of a distance. It wasn't intentional, it just seemed to go that way. I find it much more relaxed working from home on a one to one basis, and I think my clients preefer it too.

I normally start the ball rolling with something like "have you always lived in Fareham?", that usually gets the ball rolling nicely. I don't think I will ever say "have you got any holiday planned?" !!!!!!!!

And when all else fails there is always.......Did you see Coronation St/Emmerdale/Eastenders last night?................or Lost/Desperate Housewifes etc.....

i always keep the radio on, so you can comment on what the d.j is saying when there is a lull in conversation.

I talk about whatever the cleints want to. I know your not supposed to talk about yourself, but the conversation does sometimes end up down that lane, with clients asking how my kids are etc, if they are enjoying the holidays. I try to listen to my clients and talk about them. I feel priveleged that some of my clients choose to tell me personal things about theirselves, it shows they trust me.

Back