What else do I need to start as self employed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleila

Reaction score
I am just gonna go self employed nail tech soon. Gonna rent a space in a salon for 40 pounds a week but I am going to provide my own nail bar. When do I have to register as a self employed? Do I have to have insurance as well? What else exactly I need, like receipts, VAT etc...sorry for the silly quesitions just wanna make sure I'll do everything well. I welcome helpful advices from experienced technicians too :)

Cheers xx

You need to register within the first 3 months of trading. You will need your own insurance. Salon Gold costs about £38 a year for insurance.
You need to keep all your receipts and invoices for when you do your books.
If you ring the tax office they will help you. Contrary to popular belief they are extremely helpful and they also run free workshops to help with tax and national insurance etc....

Am guessing you'd be trading as a sole trader? You won't need to worry about being VAT registered until your annual turnover is at least £60K - think the threshold is a few grand in excess of that anyway - but check with your tax office...

I am just gonna go self employed nail tech soon. Gonna rent a space in a salon for 40 pounds a week but I am going to provide my own nail bar. When do I have to register as a self employed? Do I have to have insurance as well? What else exactly I need, like receipts, VAT etc...sorry for the silly quesitions just wanna make sure I'll do everything well. I welcome helpful advices from experienced technicians too :)

Cheers xx

You have 3 months from the start of working as self employed before you need to inform the Inland Revenue. However it may be better to declare it as soon as you can to avoid charges - £100 I think.

You most definately need insurance - that is very important, The Guild or BABTAC. You wont need to worry about at VAT, that is only if you make more than £64000 in a year.

My advice would be to go to an accountants. You can get advice about tax and business accounts from them. Have a shop around, most don't charge you anything for your first appointment to ask advice.

Good luck with everthing!

i have a nail bar for sale if u would like to buy it? its from ebay and selling for £150, but im getting rid of mine for £70, i brought mine to do manicures at home but now ive gone mobile. its only been used around 5 times and no scratches. type in deluxe nail bar in ebay, its beech finish and u will see it there,

i have a nail bar for sale if u would like to buy it? its from ebay and selling for £150, but im getting rid of mine for £70, i brought mine to do manicures at home but now ive gone mobile. its only been used around 5 times and no scratches. type in deluxe nail bar in ebay, its beech finish and u will see it there,

Hiya, Can't find on ebay. Do you have a link?

Hiya, Can't find on ebay. Do you have a link?

Please do not put up a link, links to ebay are not allowed on here,
also we can not advertise to sell our goods on here,
just so you know for future reference hun :hug:

interesting thread!

anne xx

Latest posts

Back