What makes a good manager?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudioTracker

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask everyone what their thoughts were on what makes a good manager? Has their been one person who inspired you by their good leadership skills? Or maybe you are a salon owner who goes out of your way to do the best you possibly can for your staff? Thoughts?

I think if you look after your staff they will look after you. My 2 bosses are fantastic. They don't speak to me like i'm just a slave that works there and just leave me to get on with my treatments really. They are always there and have time if there are certain things i'm worried about and are really helpful.
I think the key to being a good boss is to be friendly,helpful and considerate. I cant be doing with these jumped up ones that seem to think 'im up here,your down there' kind of thing. I once had a boss that used to tip the tea i had made him down the sink and tell me to do it again. HA HA jog on lol xxx

I think a good manager is someone who, is friendly, approachable, positive attitude and is someone who will not ask anyone to do something they wouldnt do themselves.
I have been a retail manager for over 10yrs and have done many courses here and abroad.
I did a German based management course a few years ago which was based on Body Language and attitude which I think in Management is key.
Also, I find - ensuring you look after your staff by developing them, praising them etc, they will work harder for you. Incentives etc work a treat, ( bottle of wine for the highest sales that week, most appts that week etc)

Good Luck

xx

Good Manager

• Approachable
  • Leader
  • Assertive at the correct times
  • Forward thinking
  • Positive
  • Hard working
  • Good trend setter
  • Professional, but can be fun at the right time
  • Delegates at the right time
  • Be able to trust staff
  • Employ good staff - if not be willing to train them

This is a terrific thread. I try and get ideas from this forum about how my staff view their work, and how I can motivate them to improve and earn more.
As a salon owner, I find my employees very quick to criticise the salon, other staff, and myself.
So can you all keep the comments coming please!

I think being a salon owner is pretty hard,sometimes especially mentally
as you always have to be prepared to deal with some real tacky situations ,
and there always seems to be someone raedy to have a pick at you behind your back :green:

I found that contracts of employment and clearly written out job descriptions and roles should be given to each person
and also displayed clearly on the staff room wall
so each person knows exactly what is expected of them ,

monthly staff meetings are a must , for everyone to put forward any new ideas and any grievances they may have ect...
points praise and rewards for good team work are a good thing
and if someone has worked really hard , nothing says more than some extra cash in their pay packet at the end of the week ,

I also find that if you have a good senior stylist that you can promote to management role the extra money that you pay them is well worth it
as it means there is always someone backing you up and working alongside you and taking control of staff just the way you like them to
especially when you cannot be there
ranks of employment within a salon can work well and help run a tight ship,
I found it much easier sailing , once I appointed a senior manager ect....

Even with all those things, half of mine seem to be sly little sods, easily led by one senior stylist who appears to believe it should be her salon! Nasty bit of work she is.
Thankfully she has gone on maternity leave and the salon has become a happy hive of industry once more!
Even with the wisdom of Solomon there are situations that I defy even the best manager to control and solve.

Latest posts

Back