What Makes a Story Good?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
I went to a networking thing the other night & the guest speaker was a local media woman (Rachel Sloane for those of you in Suffolk).

The general gist of it was to make sure you read the papers & listen to the radio & seize any news opportunity to get in touch with the press.

Now, on another thread there's a debate about sunbeds. I mentioned that you could turn this 'cancer scare' to your advantage & possibly get a mention (for free:)) in the paper.

What else is going on in your area or in the news generally that you could play on?

For eg, last November I had an email sent to me from the Chamber of Commerce to say that a committee member was going to be receptionist for the day & if they reached x amount he would wear a skirt for Children in Need.

I emailed back straightaway to say that if he was going to wear a skirt, would he be up for having his legs waxed. After some persuading, he reluctantly agreed. The end result? The initial target for him to wear a skirt was £1000, & to get his legs waxed he wanted £3000 in sponsorship. Everybody was soooo keen to see the waxing that a staggering £5000 was eventually pledged.

As for me, I got my business name & photo in all the local press :).

Local radio stations usually have something like an 'at work anthem' where the DJ's come to your place of work & you can request a couple of records. Again, this is a chance for free publicity.

Hope these ideas are of some help :)

Hi. I recently read a book called Marketing Judo by John Barnes (here's a link to the site: Marketing Judo). It's about how two businessmen built up the Harry Ramsden's chain of Fish and Chip shops to a recognisable brand using PR tactics like the one you just described, which enabled them to generate public awareness without spending huge amounts of cash. I would recommend reading it!

Wow that's a really good idea Cogsi. Very creative. I've been toying with the idea of getting myself in the papers/news, but wondering what to do and how to do it.
You've given me some ideas and made me see I should get creative!! :green:

I drove past a hair salon today & it reminded me of when they got themselves in the paper with a good story.

They re-located a couple of years ago & in the new salon they got themselves a new reception desk. Woopy-doos, you may think.

But, their desk was made out of a trunk of a tree that had blown down in the hurricane of 1987.

From that little nugget they managed to get their name, details & photos in all the local press.

Will try & think of some other examples :green: