What strength peroxide for 100% white hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie L

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am quite new to this so please bear with me! I've got a new client to do a full head of highlights on tomorrow and she has 100% white hair. The colours she usually has are wella 12.0, 7.03, 8.03 and 9.03. I am just wandering what strength peroxide to use? I was thinking 40 vol with the 12.0, 20 vol (for the extra grey coverage)with the 8.03 and 7.03 but im stuck on the 9.03. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

If the hair is 100% white, any colour even if its light, is deposit only.....so 6% is best to get good coverage. are those colours pre blended to cover grey, or will you need to add base?
xx

If the hair is 100% white, any colour even if its light, is deposit only.....so 6% is best to get good coverage. are those colours pre blended to cover grey, or will you need to add base?
xx

12.0 on 100% does it actually show up? Maybe change it to a 10.0 if it doesn't but yes with Wella 20%

Thank you for your replies. I have not got much experience with colouring 100% white hair. She gave me the list of colours that her old hairdresser used to use, i'm not sure if the colours are pre blended to cover the grey so was thinking of putting some base in just to cover myself really. I'm only just getting used to wella colours aswel. x

Thank you for your replies. I have not got much experience with colouring 100% white hair. She gave me the list of colours that her old hairdresser used to use, i'm not sure if the colours are pre blended to cover the grey so was thinking of putting some base in just to cover myself really. I'm only just getting used to wella colours aswel. x

Ok well anything above 8 on 100% white hair on tones! No depth, so 12.0 and 9.03 need to be ditched, then I'd go for 6.03 and 8.03 so their is actually a bit of a difference between he colours, then use her natural as a colour aswell.

As for pre mixed bases, .0 is neutral so kills warmth and is green, then you've got .3 which is yellow, gold so I would personally use 6.3 and 8.3 with 1/4 77/0 with the 6.3 and 99/0 with 8.3 as the double bases are one shade darker but guarantee to cover 100% grey, do this all make sense? Xx

Yes I get it, it makes sense when you explain it! That is great thanks so much for your help. I Will def come on here again if I need some more advice.xx

Ok well anything above 8 on 100% white hair on tones! No depth, so 12.0 and 9.03 need to be ditched, then I'd go for 6.03 and 8.03 so their is actually a bit of a difference between he colours, then use her natural as a colour aswell.

As for pre mixed bases, .0 is neutral so kills warmth and is green, then you've got .3 which is yellow, gold so I would personally use 6.3 and 8.3 with 1/4 77/0 with the 6.3 and 99/0 with 8.3 as the double bases are one shade darker but guarantee to cover 100% grey, do this all make sense? Xx

Your answers are always amazing !

After years of hairdressing and doing advanced colouring I still can't 100% get to grips with it. Can I ask a couple of questions ? When you talk about the pre mix bases .0 ( like the Koleston pure naturals ? ) am I right in thinking that you would say that you shouldn't use them on any hair with any % of white hair because you need to add warmth and not have any green undertones ? Also when I colour hair that has white hair in it I always use half of the corresponding base, I see you only used 1/4 of the double base, is that because it has better covering abilities ?

Oooo one more ! I have a client who is bout 80% white mixed with her nat base of bout 5, she wants colour to lift it but so far I have wiggled my way out of it !!! After reading your answer to this post I,m thinking I could do her a full head of fine weave foils and use the same as above maybe without her base as she wants lighter! What do you think ?

Last edited:
Only ever 6% on white hair!

i use 10vol with grey but i use tigi and they seem to have more lift than wella who i previously used so if i use 20vol it tends to come out light and fades too easily. . .

Latest posts

Back