What to do if you have a Serious Complaint?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Many of us today are on the defensive most of the time.
Not afraid to stand up for our rights.
Not afraid to complain.
More than willing to stand our own corner in an argument.

We are also quick to take offence to remarks or complaints against us or our professionalism and tend to want to argue in our own defence as well. this is a natural reaction to being attacked.

The question is, If a client gets really stroppy about something and threatens to 'take it further' should you do what you normally might do and get stuck in to an argument or start to defend yourself???

The answer is .. absolutely not.
  • Do not let an argument ensue if a person gets abusive about you or your business or a problem that has occurred.
  • Keep very calm and LISTEN ONLY.
  • Then suggest politely that the client make all her remarks in writing to your insurance provider if she is dissatisfied with your service.
  • Do not discuss anything any further once a client threatens you.
Do not be afraid to take this step. It is a very powerful tool to ask a client to put things in writing to your representative. We carry insurance for just this reason ... to deal with these things, should they happen, FOR US. they know the right things to do and say on your behalf.
  • Keep good client records so you can offer them, if the need arises, to the Ins. Company in your defence.
  • Keep as good a relationship as you can with the client who is complaining.
Most complainers are quick to back down once they have had their say and will never 'take things further', as when they calm down and think things through properly, they realise they really have not got a leg to stand on and as we all know, insurance companies are not quick to pay out on any dispute unless it is really serious ... certainly allot more serious than someone who is complaining that her nail salon 'ruined her nails' etc.

What if a client sends you a written complaint?

Do not enter into a written correspondence with your complainer unless it is to ask her/him if they would like to re-send their letter on to your insurance company to deal with?

Once again really good advice from geeg.:hug:

These are things for us all to bear in mind the next time someone get unreasonable!

great advice gigi
advice that i will remember for future, thanks

Gigi another brilliant thread , just what a lot of people need :hug:

it is hard not to argue back isnt it , when you want to defend your self ,
but i can see why not to do it ...(id probably just cry)
i think us nail technicians , should all invest in a big roll of gaffa tape to help us keep our mouths shut at times like these :green:

These days you just never know who is taping your 'argument/conversation'.

You could unwittingly admit to something that you did not do. For example, many people say Sorry bla bla bla .. the fact that you have said sorry indicates that you feel responsible (even if you don't and even if you aren't).

Best thing is to just stay calm and listen (or cry Emma) :lol: and then say, "here are the details of my insurance company .. write to them". Much the same as you would do if you had a car accident. Swap details and then take the appropriate action.

We all carry insurance, but many of us forget about it in the heat of the moment; forget that is what we carry insurance for, and say far more than we should do.

This is great advice for people just starting up its such a big world out there and getting the kind of advice like this is not easy to find.
Thanks Geeg:hug:

Great advise Gigi :hug:

My OH works with the public and they have also been taught how to deal with such situations. You are so right in just listening, even by saying something so simple as 'I understand where you are coming from' can and may be taken as an admission of a fault on your part.

For so many people like me who running a business is a totally new thing there are so many things just like this that we may not be aware of.

Thanks again

Thanks Gigi - more great advice to take on board x

Thankyou ! Brilliant advice and something i will definately remember if i ever have such a complaint. x

Thankyou so much for posting this. I have been practising on friends/family for a while (no where near great yet dont get me wrong)! But one of the things that really freaks me out about advertising and going public so to speak is - what if something goes wrong? What if they want to take things further, is it the end of the world? This has made me feel a whole lot better thankyou.

Thanks for another gem Gigi:)

A really useful piece of information that hopefully I won't ever have to use! It would be so easy to be defensive and enter into a blazing row with someone. This is very clear advice that I shall remember! Thanks.

Perfect timing with your sound advise as always, I will be opening my own salon within weeks and was wondering how best to handle a situation should one arise, Thank you Gigi :hug:

Thanks fo another great article Gigi xx

I dont know if you are aware but it is a criminal offence to record a conversation without all parties concerned knowing they are being recorded. This is why when we are trying to get through to big companies they say "This conversation could be recorded for training purposes". In big companies all conversations are recorded and just another thing that you may not be aware of but it is also a criminal offence to swear at the people down the phone. Big companys can afford the court cases so if a big company annoys you then please dont abuse the operative you are talking to as it could get you in big trouble. I know its tempting when your hackles are up. Hope this helps someone.

I dont know if you are aware but it is a criminal offence to record a conversation without all parties concerned knowing they are being recorded. This is why when we are trying to get through to big companies they say "This conversation could be recorded for training purposes". In big companies all conversations are recorded and just another thing that you may not be aware of but it is also a criminal offence to swear at the people down the phone. Big companys can afford the court cases so if a big company annoys you then please dont abuse the operative you are talking to as it could get you in big trouble. I know its tempting when your hackles are up. Hope this helps someone.

Sorry, but not true--- in USA the legality of recordings and the requirements of parties involved depends on each individual states law. Also said recordings "legality" may also be tempered by use of said recording, and intended or actual use, in determining if indeed "criminal". It is NOT as cut and dried as you stated, there are often many variables to be considered. Research the state statutes where recording occurred to determine guidelines of legal acceptability/liability... and there are also differences depending on media type (audio/video/both) and environment(private/public) as to expectation of privacy. Although the initial thread per tains to advice on personal mgmt of direct customer relation complaints, not on recording customers- I felt this should be clarified, as recording an abusive customer may be a legitimate tool in very extreme cases, just do your homework first. "Big Companies" do this as normal protocol, due to often there are branches in different states, so they utilize the strictest states case guidelines to serve their overall purpose, not to take on poor mannered customers-that simply wouldn't be worth their legal departments time, and a court would not appreciate such a trivial case, unless terroristic threats were stated. But hopefully no-one has to deal with that here:confused:

See this is where we get into a pickle given that this site caters for many countries. Different countries enforce different rules. As legislation is often broad and has more twists and turns than a Tour de France, what follows is the general rule of thumb.

US law does provide that you can record telephone conversations with one consenting party required (them, not you). However, protection from prosecution is only provided depending on its use. For example, if you tape your boyfriend talking about the football and you then present that conversation about the goal he scored was in reference to an affair you say he had then, ping, you're gone. Businesses are allowed to record your calls without your consent or knowledge.

The UK allows the recording of telephone conversations on your own phone for your own use without the consent of the other party. It becomes unlawful when that recording is made available to a third party. For example, if you tape you and your girlfriend having a b*tch session and share that with your mates, ping, you're gone. Businesses are permitted to record on the basis that they are securing evidence of a transaction but, again, it's for internal use and not for distribution to third parties.

In Australia, the general rule is that a call may not be recorded unless under warrant. A business must ask for your consent if they wish to record a call. If you refuse, they are not allowed to record.

In New Zealand I don't think they have phones yet.

(quickly runs away)

Latest posts

Back