What to do with business as I'm wanting to go on cruise liners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixnewcastle

CND Education Ambassador Newcastle
Reaction score
Hi im looking for some advice at the minute. I have my own beauty room within a hair dressers which i pay 20% of what i earn to the hairdresser as my rent. The problem is im not very busy in the room at all and im having a mini mid life crisis at 24. I've just broken out of the most hourendous relationship which has made me question what i want out of life and i've always been curious about the cruise liners and now im free and single i think i should do it so i dont have any regrets.

The problem is that i dont want to give the business up incase i get on the cruise liners and decide i cant stand it and want to come home and not have a business to come back to. Also the contracts are 9 months long and my overall plan is to come back to the business and also do my teacher training to teach beauty.

The question is how do i keep the business running while im away?
Please help im desperate for advice!!!!

The only real way to keep it going would be to employ someone who manages it while your away. However you would have to do all your books, pay etc unless your going to give them that to do aswell - which to me seems unrealistic because they might as well do it themselves.

Do you really want to have to think about a business at home if your off on a cruise?

If the business isn't going that well then I would let it go and restart when you get home.

HTH

Becki xxx

Sounds like one of those "can't have it all" situations. I think that the process of interviews for the cruise lines takes a fair while so don't do anything rash!
If it hasn't picked up and you get a firm offer and start date from the ship, then you should give your new job your all and enjoy the experience without worrying about whats going on back home. I can't see how you can keep a room rent going under those circumstances, especially if you are not doing too well at the moment with it. Better to start afresh.

Don't know anyone who has enjoyed working on the cruise liners. I'd say stick it out where you are or start up else where. I wouldn't suggest running away to the liners as they aren't the answer.

I worked on ships for 6 years and loved it!!
It's true it isn't for everyone and there are alot of people who don't like it and quit.
The hours are long and hard but you can get to see the world and have a lot of fun doing it.
I have no ideas what to do with your business, i think getting someone to run it for you is great but there is a chance that your clientele may move on.
It is a big decision for you but you are young, there is loads of info on the net about ships have a look at you tube the living space alone might put you off.

Good luck what ever you decide
:hug:

Hi there,
I know a few people who have done the cruise liners, one who just finished a contract a few weeks ago and one who worked on there a few years before going into teaching. It is hard work, but it is also a fun experience, you get to travel around!!
I have also heard of a few people that have saved up all their cash on the cruises and opened up a salon with a big stash of cash when they have finished their travels. Others have spent all their cash and lived life large while away!!
Sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone and try new experiences.
As for the room you rent in the hair salon the owner may have issues with you getting someone else in if you did go. Plus, you say it isn't that busy in the salon at the moment, which could make it a perfect time to go?? There will always be somewhere to rent out or set up salon!!
Personally I grew up in Geordie land (now live in Australia) and as much as I love it I would be out of there in a flash, esp at 24. Get to see things before you settle down and have kids etc. Nothing ventured nothing gained!!:):)

As a married 50 year old salon owner, I would say do everything you ever dreamed of now - before you get tied down to a mortgage, family or business. You are still young enough to start again (or change direction careerwise) if the cruise options don't work out for you, but you MUST try it or you'll have regrets later in life. I know a few couples who have met and married fellow workers on cruise liners............so, you never know :wink2:
Good Luck - See you in the Caribbean !

i have a friend who works on the liners as a nurse, she absolutely loves it, she works hard for a long period of time and then gets about 6-12 weeks off. she is young free and single too! she saves whilst at sea, and spends like a millionaire when she gets home!
i dont think you need to be worrying about a business at home! its hard to find good staff that are reliable!
good for you, breaking free from the bad bf!!! good luck in whatever you decide:hug:

Latest posts

Back