What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwgirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I had a customer in earlier in the week with one of my girls for a half head highlights.

She has bleach blonde hair that has grown out but about 4 inches and her natural colour is a level 3. The stylist explained that she would need a retouch bleach and that with highlights the roots would still be noticeable in places when weaved out. The customer didn't listen and wanted the highlights .... she has phoned today and told me that she isn't happy that there are traces of her dark roots and that another salon have told her this isn't right, and that she has her sisters wedding on tuesday and needs it put right by then. I have explained that I would speak to the stylist and call her back tomorrow morning. Problem is that we are fully booked untill February and by fully booked I mean I am even having to open on the two days a week we would normally be closed and extended opening hours from 8 am to 10pm and have already taken on another stylist.
My judgement tells me that it was explained to her and she refused to take the advice offered (eg having the retouch) but I also don't like that she is unhappy (its the 1st complaint I have had in the 18months we have been open) ... I just don't know what to do ... Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks x

Who the hell would want to get married in the cold unless it's Xmas day?

I would tell her that at the consultation it was clearly stated that there would still be dark showing at the root area, and was advised to have a full colour, as this process was done, and highlights were still insisted on you would like to ask her to come into the salon to see it for yourself. Possibly ask the stylists to take 15 mins out of their lunch breaks each to fix it if it is a fault by the stylist, if not tell her that you are fully booked until whenever but as a gesture of goodwill would like to extend a 25/50% voucher for any colour service she would like after that date, that way she goes n gets a colour somewhere else, and you are almost guaranteed to get her back in the new year.

Is she a groupon user? She sounds it... Not listening... Asking for something unsuitable... Complaining a few days later and saying a stylist told her it was bad... Xoxo

Who the hell would want to get married in the cold unless it's Xmas day?

I would tell her that at the consultation it was clearly stated that there would still be dark showing at the root area, and was advised to have a full colour, as this process was done, and highlights were still insisted on you would like to ask her to come into the salon to see it for yourself. Possibly ask the stylists to take 15 mins out of their lunch breaks each to fix it if it is a fault by the stylist, if not tell her that you are fully booked until whenever but as a gesture of goodwill would like to extend a 25/50% voucher for any colour service she would like after that date, that way she goes n gets a colour somewhere else, and you are almost guaranteed to get her back in the new year.

Is she a groupon user? She sounds it... Not listening... Asking for something unsuitable... Complaining a few days later and saying a stylist told her it was bad... Xoxo
How did you guess yes she is a groupon user lol!! Thanks for your reply makes me feel better, I cant take time out of lunch breaks as we dont tend to have them and I know that the stylist didn't do anything wrong she has been a stylist for 28 years, teaches at the local college and is brilliant I think I will just have to go with the first part of your reply and explain it was clearly stated in the beginning- just hate upsetting anyone! and as for getting married in the cold - I really dont know why (tbh didn't believe it tho) xox

Tell her about the stylist being at teaching level, don't mention a college, but it should get it across the stylist knows her job inside out. And that there is space to book in on whatever date.
Try to get off groupon and use some of the profit saved on sending out advertisement, or on a banner to put up a few meters from the salon which are really cheap online (a friend got a free one off vista print when she bought business cards) with the salon address on it, much better clients will come in as they will think you obviously have the profit to advertise like this so obviously do a good job xoxo

When you say your extending your business hours, are these for full
Paying clients or groupon customers??

Dealing with the issue I would of got hervto come back in straight away, done a consultation again and assessed the situation WITHOUT talking to the stylist as the client think your trying to fluff her off.

And offered her another appointment to rectify it for FREE! Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and deal with the fact clients aren't always right but treat them as they are!

I agree with Tomme. I just don't know why people don't listen to the stylist!! Grrr damn groupon clients lol x

FREE!! Are you kidding me!!

She asked for highlight, she got highlights

Was there anything wrong with the highlights? No!

So why is she getting somthing for free??

So if i came to you for highlights i decided to go a bit darker, a week later i didnt like it so rang you up, i would be my fault i asked for the dark the highlights were fine!!

I would offer that you can do her roots when you can why squeeze her in when youve done nothing wrong? If it was any other client ringing up for a root retouch you wouldnt do it on your lunch!

And yes, charge her FULL PRICE!!!

You have done nothing wrong the highlighs were fine! X

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Lesson lesson learned. Have clients sign a release stating what will be done, include on ypir form a space for stylist to write in any info like " Highlights on client xyz will not completely cover her dark root area. Stylists suggested full color client declined. No more issues. Id just color it for free, she sounds like a pain I would not want to argue with.

she got what she asked for!!!!!! so if she doesnt like it, its her problem! sorry to be harsh but the fact there would still be dark showing was explained to her! Its not your fault you cant fit her in! I wouldnt go out of my way to do so either, you are obviously busy enough without trying to please the unpleasable clients like these! x

FREE!! Are you kidding me!!

She asked for highlight, she got highlights

Was there anything wrong with the highlights? No!

So why is she getting somthing for free??

So if i came to you for highlights i decided to go a bit darker, a week later i didnt like it so rang you up, i would be my fault i asked for the dark the highlights were fine!!

I would offer that you can do her roots when you can why squeeze her in when youve done nothing wrong? If it was any other client ringing up for a root retouch you wouldnt do it on your lunch!

And yes, charge her FULL PRICE!!!

You have done nothing wrong the highlighs were fine! X

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Yea free then I've got the upper hand as I offered to correct the service for free! She can't possibly complain anymore! You always have to think ahead of people like this.

If you complained about a hotel you wouldn't expect to pay again if you complained!! They give you one free!

I'm very strict on this and I was when I managed a salon too, if a complaint came in within 48-72 hours after a service and they weren't happy I would personally rectify for free and the person was absolutely fine and then went on their way with a smile and good hair do :) x

nothing is for free in this world, why should the OP be out of pocket from a groupon client to begin with, but then to have to use more product at her expense? No chance, I wanted to say it earlier and I will now in a polite way, charge te b***h!
Don't back down with her and well done to your stylist for asking more than enough questions and explaining the consequences xoxo

Have to say I'd also correct it free but only if they got back to me within a couple of days! Like bluerinse says they then have nothing more to say! I do however have a strict no refund policy :)

Latest posts

Back