Whats the BEST piece of advise to offer someone opening their own 'place'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkleberry

Reaction score
.......this may be from a 'been there done that' salon owner or an employee whos started out at a new salon and has witnessed owners mistakes. What would you rec to do and not to do?
xxx

Don't spend too much on extras ( decorating, retail) -- make sure your place is always clean.

Keep firm on your prices, don't let your clients decide what they want to pay. Charge a fair price.

Focus on your own business, not the shop down the street.

During the times posted on your door, be there. Don't be running errands and such.

Rebook, always. "Would you like to rebook in 5 or 6 weeks?"

Have fun, keep a sense of humor. This will be a new adventure for you, with lots to learn along the way.

All the best to you!

Customer service all the way! Make people feel special for visiting your salon and that they're not just another number

Besides the excellent advice above - especially spending too much on extras like fancy business cards, expensive fixtures & fittings etc (they're coming for the service, not your wallpaper!) - I would add that it is important to never assume a client cannot afford a product or service, charge a fair price & let the client decide if they can or cannot afford it.

I've started drumming this into my students:

assume that your client is

A) never been for the treatment before, so make them feel comfortable and explain what they need to do, what the treatment entails and what you expect of them

B) that your client is a fellow therapist "checking you out" and that you don't want to patronise or say something that you can't back up.

Check out your competition, try and offer something with a unique twist, know your target market. Keep a tight hold of the purse strings, shop around you dont always have to use furniture from the beauty suppliers. Ikea offer some good ideas on their website. Above all enjoy it... this will be portrayed when you are dealing with your clients.

HTH

Keep on top of the finance, employ a good accountant. Most salon failures are caused by lack of cash, not lack of profit. Keep tight hold of as much of your cash as poss. Make full use of suppliers 30 days to pay.

Focus on getting new clients and treating them like royalty...

Nothing can take the place of that...

Brend x

Keep on top of the finance, employ a good accountant. Most salon failures are caused by lack of cash, not lack of profit. Keep tight hold of as much of your cash as poss. Make full use of suppliers 30 days to pay.

absolutely crucial. I second that.

I would say focus on getting your old clients to return (if you have any, if not drag your friends, family, friends of friends in) get them to brag about you, then the new ones will come. Word of mouth is the best from of advertising as it's free but if you have to spend, don't spend a fortune on glossy looking 'stuff' that you don't need, think outside the box when it comes to marketing yourself, you'll be surprised at what you will come up with. Know what you do need, get that and the rest you can get as and when.

Treat each customer like a queen/king while they're there with you, don't bad mouth the competition (within earshot of clients anyway :lol:) and be the best you can at all times.

xx

Last edited:
ah thankyou so much for all your replies! Each and everyone of you had fab advice :) Its so hard trying to keep on top of everything and make sure your doing things properly its nice to get other poeples perspective on whats important!xxx

Latest posts

Back