Where am I going wrong with Nai Foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkchina

Reaction score
I have recently bought some nails foils, plus hoof stick, base coat Adhesive and Top Coat, and they look fantastic, but as soon as I apply the top coat (I use the Kami Nail Art Sealer), it all cracks and looks like dried cement. I used a holographic one called Oil Slick a silver background with Purple and Turquoise colours in it, it was so pretty, but as soon as I applied the sealer it went all horrible like cement. Just cant understand where I am going wrong. This was on natural nails. I first wiped my nails over with Nail Varnish Remover, to remove any grease etc. then I applied a Base Coat (Toma) then the Kami Nail Adhesive, then after 6 to 8 minutes when adhesive is tacky applied the foil, and pressed it on with a hoof stick, they looked fantastic, until I applied the top coat, when it all went horribly wrong. I have also tried another Toma top coat on another nail, and that went all horrible just the same.
Please help me someone, I only want nice foil nails
Bev:cry:

Really, I can't advise you on how to proceed since I'm unfamiliar with the brand of products you are using.

I checked your profile, and it doens't indicate any training in Nail Enhancement systems or similar.

In truth, we prefer that non-professionals don't attempt such things as it can all be very convoluted without the training.

It might be best if you simply visited a professional to have some applied.

Sorry if this isn't the answer that you were hoping for.
:hug:

Really, I can't advise you on how to proceed since I'm unfamiliar with the brand of products you are using.

I checked your profile, and it doens't indicate any training in Nail Enhancement systems or similar.

In truth, we prefer that non-professionals don't attempt such things as it can all be very convoluted without the training.

It might be best if you simply visited a professional to have some applied.

Sorry if this isn't the answer that you were hoping for.
:hug:

I'm not being funny or argumentative, but I'm a bit confused by this reply, V. She is a skin professional, which means she's a beauty therapist. I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the UK, if you're a beauty therapist, you should have covered natural nail care as part of the course. I'm not a nail tech, I'm a beauty therapist and I do nail art on natural nails, which would include foils if I wanted to use them.

Pinkchina, I've found an old thread which may help you http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/29984-nail-foils.html

It's different here.
At least in my province it is. So yes, location around the world WILL make a difference in terms of what is covered in the course. But, also, it depends on the course.
The first course that I took over 20yrs ago was a combo of all: hairdressing, esthetics, make-up artistry, manis & Pedis etc.
Now, the only courses available (to my knowledge) are one subject and my course no longer exists (mine was gov't accredited).

I'm also not clear by her description exactly what she did.
Also, this phrase here
I first wiped my nails over with Nail Varnish Remover, to remove any grease etc.
is what caused me to think that perhaps she did not learn about nails because there is no 'grease' and there is no other mention of "prep"......

My apologies if my assumption was incorrect.

hello

I have problem with foils when i encapsulated them with gel. Gel start to lift from foil. Do you have any advaice please i really need help. Thanks

Latest posts

Back