where do you work from?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie

Reaction score
hi i am new to this site, i have been doing nails for 7 months, i work from home but thinking going mobile as i dont have enough customers, so i was thinking of doing mobile.

just wondering what u geeks all did ie:

I cant figure out how to do a poll, so im asking on here:o

Work from home
Mobile
Salon owner
Rent space
?

and whether you have enough customers

Cant wait for your responses!!

Work from home in my Cellar
Have not got many clients yet as I am just setting up.
Just doing friends for now until I get better and do more courses with Ezflow.

Nice to meet you.
Caz xxx:D

I work from home, I dont do mobile; personally I wont enjoy it. There are loads and loads of geeks who are mobile and enjoy doing it.

i am 50/50 i do enjoy mobile as much as working from home,
i tend to do mobile though for people who cannot drive the ones that can i ask them to have their first apointment with me then they can look through photo' s of various designs, and it saves me lugging stuff.
so i dont have to pack everything.
its nice to get out of the house as well but in the winter i wont be doing mobile at night.
with doing mobile and from my own home i have more than enough clients,
i wouldnt want to turn away anyone just because they couldnt get too me

Im offering mobile & working from home!!! Prefer to work from home as all equipment is set out & plus it feels safer for me. Just starting out so clientel is building up slowly!!!

HTH :green:

I work from home, know i have a small corner in the living room with a desk and all my stuff but i'm thinking of getting a 3 bedroom flat, and as soon as that happen i'll dedicate one room for nail stuff :)

Hi, I work from home, just set up my small bedroom for nails. But I will if necessary do mobile, I don't advertise that I will tho ;-)

You'll need to let your household insurance provider know as you may need to change the cover to a business one. You need cover for your products and also because you have clients in and out of your house. I believe not all of them do insist, but you may want to check to safe guard your business.

Good luck!

Hiya

I work from home and never went mobile. I couldn't because I have two small kiddies and hubbie works away some nights, so childcare would be a problem.

I wouldn't do it now though, even if I had the choice because it would waste too much time inbetween clients. I would probably charge more for travelling time.

I started off with few clients, but word of mouth has spread and I do advertise aswell. I started with a leaflet drop. I have a web site which Seanny helped me with and this boosted my business no end! I do local newsletter advertising which only costs £10 a month. Yell.com and Thomson Local free listing. I also give an incentive to clients if they recommend two new 'full set' clients they get a free Creative enamel. It took a year or so to get it going properly, but I am now in the position where I am struggling to fit people in!!

My advice is give it time and you will soon reap the benifits of being a 'Nail Technician'.

On the pole thingy, I think you need to be a Premium Geeky to be able to set them up. Get your credit card out and do it, because then you can do loads more stuff and it sponsers the site, so more people can benefit from it!!!

Best of luck
xxxxx

I Work From Home, Tried Mobile, But Kept Forgetting Things, Plus You Can Be Getting On With Things Between Clients At Home, The Only Thing About Being Home Based Or Mobile I Have Found Is That It Does Take Longer To Build Up Your Client Base Than If You Were In A Salon, In A Town, Where People Are Aware Of You And Are More Likly To Just Pop In.

I have been mobile for nearly 6 years doing mainly Nail Enhancements and Semi Permanent Make Up with other beauty treatments scattered in between. I am now considering being home based and only doing mobile work when necessary....I have a one year old little boy and another on the way so it will make more sense to be home based! Just hoping its not gonna be too difficult to get clients to come to me! my current clients have been very understanding and have said when i'm ready to go home based they will come to me but i would still like to add new clients!

I own a salon. It's great to be my own boss but it is hard work & employing staff is a nightmare! At the moment I'm lucky to have 2 fab assistants but I've had some real problems in the past. I'd say only aim to own a salon if you can commit 110% to it, I might have rethought the idea if I'd know in advance how restrictive it is. When I first started out I did mobile but hated it & didn't want to work for somebody else so i set up on my own. If I had a nice big house I'd have a salon at home I think. I think it is a personal choice, whatever works best for you.

i work from home. built a little "summerhouse/shed" in the garden and its got all my stuff in there and i've done it up so much it looks like a salon! better than renting a space (why let someone else have some of your profits). it cost me £600 to buy from B&Q plus £100 for laminate floor. occasionally do basic manicures/pedi's mobile (just so clients don't ruin their fresh polish on the way home) but found doing acrylic to hard mobile, I need to concentrate on a one to one, and not have their whole family coming over to have a look and disturbing me, as i'm very new to this myself (6 months). I started doing it mobile but since doing it from home have found that I have only lost one client (not that I get that many at the moment but its starting to build up)

Tx

I have my own little space at home. We converted the integral garage into a spare front room 13 years ago, and now that it's just me, mum, and dad at home, I convinced them the space would be best served as a nail room :D

I have a few (pretty poor! :) ) piccies up at www.spaces.msn.com/members/withnailsandi if anyone wants a look.

I tend to work 50/50 home and mobile, although I would prefer to work mainly from home. Ideally I'd have a bit of a bigger space so I could tan in there too (right now if I tan from home I use the kitchen), but the position of my current room is ideal because it's slightly separated from the house by a little cloakroom/alcove off the hallway, the the downstairs loo is right next door.

Hi,

I have recently decided to do nails from my home. I'm re-decorating my front room, and will have a section of it dedicated to my work.
I've done some mobile work, even though I don't drive yet, via public transport. It was a nightmare!! :eek: It wasted so much time, and was horrific in bad weather!! Just wasn't worth my while. If I had a car it would be easier I think.
I've told my clients that from now on they will have to come to me, as it's more viable for me, and they all have their own transport anyway. Plus, I prefer to work in my own space. I can have my retail items out on display too, which is nice!
Love Marina xx

Hi, I have been lucky enough to be able to rent a bit of space in my local shopping mall on saturdays, its only temporary to enable us to build up a regular clientele but so far we are covering our costs, making a few quid but most importantly getting our name out there!! I cant believe how well the nail art is doing- I spend about two thirds of my day doing that. Its been a great place to be because of all the passing trade. Good luck!!

:lol: Toni from Marco Benito Spa Course?...If so this is Jenny we were on the same course...Spa Pedi....How r u?..Keep in touch.. Jennyx

Toni Talons said:
i work from home. built a little "summerhouse/shed" in the garden and its got all my stuff in there and i've done it up so much it looks like a salon! better than renting a space (why let someone else have some of your profits). it cost me £600 to buy from B&Q plus £100 for laminate floor. occasionally do basic manicures/pedi's mobile (just so clients don't ruin their fresh polish on the way home) but found doing acrylic to hard mobile, I need to concentrate on a one to one, and not have their whole family coming over to have a look and disturbing me, as i'm very new to this myself (6 months). I started doing it mobile but since doing it from home have found that I have only lost one client (not that I get that many at the moment but its starting to build up)

Tx

thank you all guys for you replies it is so interesting and uplifting to hear the way you work, i think i will try and keep working from home for the time being, and see if i can build up some more clients, fingers crossed.:)

keep your replies coming!!

Latest posts

Back