Which Course??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxxyzinha

Essex Girl Abroad Geek
Reaction score
Hi,

As you can tell i am completely new to this site but i am hoping that someone can help me.

I have been living in the Algarve for 5 years now and am currently working as a holiday rep. I love doing manicures for my friends and family although i have had no training.

For the last couple of years i have been thinking about training to become a nail tech and have decided to just go for it as I know it would be something that I will enjoy doing (after all that's the hardest part!).

I was going to go back to the UK to take a 3 month course at the Brentwood Academy (vtct fast track manicure/pedicure and nail extensions) and they use NSI products for the training.

What I would like to know is:
1. Has anybody trained at the Brentwood Academy and was it any good?
2. I have read some of the other threads and i now know that you can purchase NSI products in Portugal but do you have to have done a course with NSI themselves before they will supply you with the products?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm trying to work out if this is going to be viable. I'm going to have to leave my husband here on his own for 3 months whilst i do the course so i don't want to do all that for nothing!

I would be grateful for any information you can give me.

Anna

You dont need a course to BUY NSI products like u do with CND - but always do the training so you know your products !!
Also try and do a course with a good company who can keep you up to date with ongoing training / quereis etc , because you'll find you'll want advice on lots of bits & bobs when you start out.
Also you'll never stop learning different methods , tips and bits & pieces - especially if your a visitor to this site !!!!

I'd recomend a course with NSI or Creative (I'm creative trained ) and you can build on a solid foundation of basic knowlage from there on !

Good luck darlin - hope this was a bit of help
Take care now
jayneym
foxxyzinha said:
Hi,

As you can tell i am completely new to this site but i am hoping that someone can help me.

I have been living in the Algarve for 5 years now and am currently working as a holiday rep. I love doing manicures for my friends and family although i have had no training.

For the last couple of years i have been thinking about training to become a nail tech and have decided to just go for it as I know it would be something that I will enjoy doing (after all that's the hardest part!).

I was going to go back to the UK to take a 3 month course at the Brentwood Academy (vtct fast track manicure/pedicure and nail extensions) and they use NSI products for the training.

What I would like to know is:
1. Has anybody trained at the Brentwood Academy and was it any good?
2. I have read some of the other threads and i now know that you can purchase NSI products in Portugal but do you have to have done a course with NSI themselves before they will supply you with the products?

Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm trying to work out if this is going to be viable. I'm going to have to leave my husband here on his own for 3 months whilst i do the course so i don't want to do all that for nothing!

I would be grateful for any information you can give me.

Anna

i am sure creative have training schools in spain , hth

Hi

I will start looking into courses in Spain, although it may work out cheaper for me to go to England as i can stay at my parents' house. Depending on where it is in spain i may have to pay for accommodation.

Thanks you both for your comments, you've put my mind at rest!

Anna

I just completed a course here in Spain with a girl on a one to one basis here at my home.

She did really well for the Foundation knowledge and skills and to get started practicing will not take you 3 months away from home. You can do an initial 5 days and then continue to improve your skills over the next year by doing more classes when you are ready to go to the next level.

My number here in Spain is 00 34 96 573 3316 if you want to discuss the possibilities.

Wish I was in spain Geeg I would be straight round for a cuppa and nail chat :hug:

Any time Lell.

There will always be a warm welcome here for you.

You know me, I can talk nails all day long.

Thanks very much geeg. Where abouts in Spain are you? I'm in the Algarve, right on the Spanish border.

Anna

You're a good distance away from me by car, but there are great trains as you know and planes too.

We live on the Costa Blanca North of Alicante in Benissa. Alicante would be your nearest airport. But we can arrange accommodation easily. and cheaply!

Oh go for it Anna, You would be getting the best tutor out there :Love:

Thanks.

At least it's something for me to think about. The reason that I was going to do the 3 month course was because my fiance's aunt whohlives in Lisbon told me that the shorter courses are no good. Obviously after having a look at this site over the last few days i know that this is not necessarily the case.

As far as I can remember, Air Berlin fly quite cheaply from Faro to Alicante. I will look into it.

Sorry to sound thick, as you know i am new to the site, are you able to issue CNA certificates or would i be coming to you for the experience? Would i then have to take an official course with the CNA? Also, what would you charge for your services?? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe easier to pm me?

Anna x

foxxyzinha said:
Thanks.

At least it's something for me to think about. The reason that I was going to do the 3 month course was because my fiance's aunt whohlives in Lisbon told me that the shorter courses are no good. Obviously after having a look at this site over the last few days i know that this is not necessarily the case.

As far as I can remember, Air Berlin fly quite cheaply from Faro to Alicante. I will look into it.

Sorry to sound thick, as you know i am new to the site, are you able to issue CNA certificates or would i be coming to you for the experience? Would i then have to take an official course with the CNA? Also, what would you charge for your services?? Sorry for all the questions. Maybe easier to pm me?

Anna x

Yes :D You would definitely get a Creative Nail Design Certificate :D

It is NOT a short course. The 5 days is a short part of a long course.

Charges we can discuss on the phone but they are the same as in the UK only in €€€'s. Your professional kit and Nail Trainer are included in the price.

Thanks so much. I'm getting even more excited than i was already!!!

I am going to have a look at flights to get an idea of the prices. I'm going on honeymoon via the UK at the end of the year and will be back around the end of november. Would this time of year be OK for you? If not could you give me an idea of when would be OK. At least i can price it up. With regards to course prices I will give you a call once i have looked into flights.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Anna

foxxyzinha said:
Thanks so much. I'm getting even more excited than i was already!!!

I am going to have a look at flights to get an idea of the prices. I'm going on honeymoon via the UK at the end of the year and will be back around the end of november. Would this time of year be OK for you? If not could you give me an idea of when would be OK. At least i can price it up. With regards to course prices I will give you a call once i have looked into flights.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Anna

November is a great itme of year for me. Summer's over!! Christmas hasn't been!! And I don't go away until February.

It's a date!

Will call soon to discuss.

I really appreciate your help. Gettin' a bit star-struck!!

Love Anna x

Sorry geeg, just one more thing.....
If i complete the 5 day course with y ou wo uld i then be able to start working as a nail tech (ie would it be enough to start me off) or would i have to take various other courses as well as the initial one. I know that there are loads of courses available to improve skills but i'm currently thinking about the initial, basic course.

Hopefully you understand what i mean - i seem to be having a bit of an essex girl day today. (essex girls please don't take offense, i am a legitimate essex girl, born in basildon!!)

5 Days will get you going practicing, safely and with good habits.

Would you be able to go right into a salon??? Realistically no you wouldn't. BUT you will feel confident to get practicing and you will be doing a competent job of it too.

I do not know your abilities or your skill level but this is the course that every Creative Nail technician starts out with and generally speaking they many times do better nails than I see coming out of many (too many) salons. There is no substitute for experience and you have to go out and start getting it after the course ... you simply cannot rush that aspect of your learning. Help is available at every step thru this site , telephone etc.

It is not the length of the course, but the quality of the teaching, the products, and the information and the help and guidance you receive. I would say that 5 days of working 121 would be worth weeks or months of many of the other courses I have heard about and loads of other geeks would be quick to agree with me on this one.

The final choice is up to you and you have many factors to consider. I will be totally respectful of whatever choice you make taking into account your individual needs.

Hi

I have PM'd you.

Anna xx

Latest posts

Back