Which is the more popular system??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picklegem

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just starting out and ive been looking at what it seems to be hundreads of nail tech courses!!

Now i really would like to know which is the most popular......
Acrylic​
Gel​
Fabric​
Silk​
This would help me to decide which system to invest time and money into.​
I originally thought that acrylic was the preffered but now im hearing things about Silk and fabric it made me wonder!!!​
Anyone with an opinion or helpful advise would be great!!!​
Lots of love and hugs​
X PICKLEGEM X​

I am very happy with Bio Sculpture !!!

Best thing is to find out what is most popular in your area, if you can - ask at local salons or people you know who have their nails done.
Are you intending doing all three systems ultimately, or do you only want to do one or two?
I started with acrylic for the reason that it was the hardest, so I wanted to start at the most difficult point (in my opinion) and then it be downhill (in a good way) from there. I have to be honest and say that I've found l&p pretty hard to master so right now I'm concentrating on my gels (love 'em! and I do think they are picking up speed in the popularity stakes) and also trying out fibreglass/silk and acrylic dip.
What part of West Sussex are you in by the way? There are some East and West Sussex geeks here who may be able to help out with an opinon poll of what's more popular in this area.
Lol x

I think it is down to your individual taste as well. When i went on my first training course we had the chance to play with all the different systems to find out which one we could work best with, then chose our system from that. since then i have tried other systems some i got on with others i didnt.

good luck with what ever you do :)

Statistically speaking, L&P is by far and large the most used system worldwide. There are certain areas of the world where gels are a little more popular, but still not as popular as L&P.

To be honest... you really need to be able to master 2 of the 3 core systems (at least) to be a qualtiy tech.

Good luck ;)

bimbogeri said:
Best thing is to find out what is most popular in your area, if you can - ask at local salons or people you know who have their nails done.
Are you intending doing all three systems ultimately, or do you only want to do one or two?
I started with acrylic for the reason that it was the hardest, so I wanted to start at the most difficult point (in my opinion) and then it be downhill (in a good way) from there. I have to be honest and say that I've found l&p pretty hard to master so right now I'm concentrating on my gels (love 'em! and I do think they are picking up speed in the popularity stakes) and also trying out fibreglass/silk and acrylic dip.
What part of West Sussex are you in by the way? There are some East and West Sussex geeks here who may be able to help out with an opinon poll of what's more popular in this area.
Lol x
I have to say I don`t agree with you there..........L&P may be hard for some and easier for others.
I think all systems in their own way are hard to master and they all have something for and against when thinking about doing a system.
If you found L&P hard but the others easy then you`re very lucky. I think its that first system that makes it difficult no matter what it is and once learned the others do seem easier, but lets face it, if it was all that easy everyone would be doing it!!!!!!
Please don`t be offended, its only my opinion

ok, I was shown l&p and fibreglass at college, but not gel........ I HATED the l&p with a passion as it was so hard to master and only offered fibreglass to start with. The nails looked beautiful and natural but i did find it a bit fiddly cutting and placing the strip etc and they didnt seem to be very strong (I wasnt using fabric# heard thats great) I then tried gel, anything to avoid the l&p!! I do like it but i find this fiddly too, in and out of the lamp etc. Ive now started to use l&p again and have improved a lot with it. I find that gel and l&p are popular in my area, and in my opinion l&p is the least fiddly to apply when mastered and I use perma gloss so it has a super shiney gel like finish too, best of both!!

Hiya Debs, no offence taken at all, what I should have said was 'I started with l&p cos I heard it was the hardest' :D
Certainly gel can be pretty fiddly - having to 'freeze' it and keep switching between different hands, setting in between because it can start to slide otherwise. I think some people can find l&p harder than some other systems when you start - or at least my experience was - because you're not used to working with it and when you're slow and new I didn't like how it always seemed to set before I was ready for it to. I hope that when I'm a bit more experienced that I'll find l&p just as easy as the other systems.
So Picklegem, probably your best bet is to see if there is any way you can try all three systems first. Do you know any nail techs who might let you have a play with their stuff? That way you can make a decision based on what feels right for you, and certainly don't let me put you off l&p :)
Lol x

Hey Girls !!

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I went into the local salon today and she only does gel and i live in an area where theres not much transport and only a tiny salon.

So my thoughts are to do acrylic so i'm offering something different!!

I'm slightly scared on setting up at home as i don't know where to start or who i need to inform and even whether id make a decent living form being at home/mobile.

My family say that i will never make enough money to live on doing nails at home and its really upsetting me!!!

So any advice from you lovely ladies would be great as my family aren't being at all helpful.

Love ya all xxx

Remember....It's L&P not acrylic..
Each of the products contain acrylic!!

I personally learned first with L&P. found it hard, but now love it so totally, there's so much you can do with L&P, am now trying out glitters... You just need to get used to moving it before it sets!!! smaller beads can help you achieving a good nail to start with!
I have since learned Gel... which I now find harder... Its actually easier to apply, but takes a long time, in and out of the lamp. And I don't find the end result as natural looking as L&P.
I've just started dabbling in Fabric, I like the look of it, and it doesn't seem too hard to master after the other two, but time will tell.

You really will find it's personal choice... many of my clients come to me because they have heard the Creative brand name... therefore they expect L&P... and natural looking nails!!
I've probably confused you more, but hope I've helped some!!

Suex

Hiya,

I like them all!!! L&P, Gel and silk/fibreglass.

I offer all these systems in my salon, but most clients do prefer L&P. I have a few that have the others because apparantly they had had L&P years ago and had a reaction (I'm talking 20 yrs ago so it may have been MMA)

I think it is best to learn all systems and to be able to offer them all too, it just makes you a little more different than the bog standard salon down the road, keep one step ahead and never ever stop learning!!!! Beleive me it does pay off!!!

Amanda

its nice of your family to be concerned but dont you want to prov them wrong all the more, i am a mobile beautician and my boyfriend kept saying that i wasnt bringing in enough money etc when i had first started out:rolleyes: . at the same time he was supportive but it made me want to prove him wrong so in a way it gave me the kick i needed. i have still only been doing it for around 2 months but my appointment book is filling up more and more.
good luck
zoe

zaza said:
its nice of your family to be concerned but dont you want to prov them wrong all the more, i am a mobile beautician and my boyfriend kept saying that i wasnt bringing in enough money etc when i had first started out:rolleyes: . at the same time he was supportive but it made me want to prove him wrong so in a way it gave me the kick i needed. i have still only been doing it for around 2 months but my appointment book is filling up more and more.
good luck
zoe
You certainly can make an excellent living from a home based salon (as long as it is a professional set up). Family members really have no idea.

I used to make 100-150 per day from my home salon and I sometimes look back at that time and think I had more ready money then than at any other time of my salon career (and this was 18 years ago)!!. I find it hard to believe how little some of the technicians of today charge for their services, and I don't think they are doing themselves or their industry any favors doing it. I charged more 18 years ago than many do today ... and the price of products has gone UP since then several times!!

Gem, if you dont try it hun you'll never find out, im sure your family will support you...it does take time to build up...but your empire will grow :)

with regard to the post id say that it locally it would go l&p then gel then fibre and of course natural nail care goes hand in hand with any system (i know that some tech pref just nat nail care to any other system)

geeg said:
I used to make 100-150 per day from my home salon and I sometimes look back at that time and think I had more ready money then than at any other time of my salon career (and this was 18 years ago)!!. I find it hard to believe how little some of the technicians of today charge for their services, and I don't think they are doing themselves or their industry any favors doing it. I charged more 18 years ago than many do today ... and the price of products has gone UP since then several times!!

i think the whole price issue does depend on where you live... my parents have just come back from a weekend in york and they noticed there were lots of nail salons and they charged a lot less than i do and they were using good quality products and werent cheap nss
i think that people charge less to try and get clients and then everyone follows so it then becomes a standard price that people genrally charge
the price i charge reflects my experience, my time, and of course my expenses like rent and products... but you still have to keep an eye out on what other salons charge... you could price your self out of your market

Jess
xox

I only use the Fabric# system and the Brisa Gels in my Salon , L&P here at home for home clients, but and there always is a but........... I can do all 3 systems.............
In order to be a complete Nail Technician you have to know the workings of all 3 systems and have to be able to do them in order to advise any client that might walk through your door. As I said I only offer Fabric# and Gel in my salon but can troubleshoot any system......When a client walks through the door and come to see a Nail Technician, they expect you to be that,they don't understand that you might be great at one system but don't know nothing about another one,so be fully converse in all systems or they will go else where.....
Your advise with regards to which system is suitable for a client will be then based on sound knowledge and skill............
A bit like a hairdresser who can cut and colour, but can't do highlights..........
you might not want to do highlights but a clients question and then a confident answer installs faith in your capabilities.............
And more choice for a client means they will stay with you and not look for a Technician that understands all 3 systems.........

With regards to which system first........... there is no fast rule.......... I did Fibreglass first, Gel second and L&P last.............as long as you enjoy what you are learning who is to say what comes first....... A bit like the egg and the chicken............. as long as you can make omelets and can roast a chicken, thats all that matters......
Have a great time learning all there is to learn..............because just when you think you learned it all, whoops there is more.............
I love it xxxx

Ruth...I've added you to my MSN..i'd like to ask you something in private if ok...thanks

Debs xx

Latest posts

Back