Which room do you use???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my spare bedroom, this has been changed into a nail salon after my eldest moved out, told him if he wants to come back will ahve to share with his brother not giving up my nail room now i have it.

I don't think it matters where you are in the house as long as you act and look proffesional.
Good luck
x

Has anyone had any trouble getting planning permission to use their room at home as a business?

thanks
Rachel

I have not got that far yet I will need to do all this once I am nearer to when I want to work.

I will look forward to the answers to this one.

Caz xxx

Rach said:
Has anyone had any trouble getting planning permission to use their room at home as a business?

thanks
Rachel

I use my spare room (10'x6' max) very compact but it does the trick as I only do nails. Sometimes working from home means that you need to try that big harder to look professional.
I don't have planning permission yet as I don't have that many clients coming to me - YET! I will approach the local council in the near future. I don't think you should have a problem so long as there is plenty of parking nearby and that you follow all the health and safety advice.

Hello

When i decided to set up at home last year i contacted the planning department and they said i did not need planning permission as long as they did not get any complaints from other residents about the parking. As i only have one client at a time that hopefully wont become a problem!!
xxxxxx

Hi,

I've been toying with this idea as well for a while now. I'm intending to go mobile, but was thinking that maybe later I could work from home.

But here's the thing..... we live in an old Victorian house that has been converted into 3 flats. We live on the 1st floor. So when I have clients, I would have to fetch them from the front door, take them up the steps and into the flat.

We've got a spare bedroom that is mainly used as an office by both me and my partner i.e. it has a huge table in with the PC and PC stand etc. If I were to use it as a home salon, I would have to move the table and PC out - which leaves me with the problem of where to put it ..... ? Also, to reach the spare bedroom, the client would have to walk through the lounge which I don't feel is very professional. Especially as I have 2 cats and I don't necessarily want to lock them in the bedroom everytime someone turns up ........

We also have a huge kitchen, but I feel this is even less professional.... who wants to sit next to the cooker having their nails done ........

Any ideas would be very welcome !!

River

If I won the lottery, I would build on top of my garage and convert the downstairs as well. Nice and big to accomodate all of my stuff (it's a four car garage).

I would also turn my spare living room into a kinda home gym thing, but we can dream :rolleyes:

I have a two room apartment living room and kitchen in one and a bedroom toilet and bath. I use my kitchen table because we don't use it we usally eat out or if we do eat in its infrount of the TV.

--------
Tricia

louise said:
Hi all,

Just wondering for those of you that work from home... which room do you use to do your treatments?

At the moment I only have my kitchen table to use do you think this is okay?

Look forward to your replies.

Louise x

I have pinched my husbands study as he never uses it. Its only tiny but is perfect for my nail desk etc. Just need to put some shelf space in now.

Sean built a lovely summer house for me to turn into a 'salon', but we've decided the conservatory is much nicer to work from, so we've moved the dining furniture out and the salon furniture in! It's handy because I can bring the clients aound the side of the house into the salon, without them having to come through the house, which I'd prefer. It's a nice size, light and airy, and the air conditioner keeps it fresh in the summer.

In the UK I used to work from my spare bedroom which worked well when I was just doing nails, but now I'm offering tanning too and will be offering waxing in a couple of months and I would never have had the room for all that in there (it was a small 3rd bedroom).

Jackie

I did convert part of my garage originally - carpet and decorated etc (its a v big garage) but I am in the process of doing a large mailshot and was a bit concerned about having people walking right through my home to get to it so I have now converted the extension which is directly of the hall so clients can walk in the front door and turn straight into my new room :) I must admit having a room dedicated for nails does make it feel more professional to me now as well. Also it means i am in the house so feels a little safer too.

I did ask about planning etc but as susie said unless you cause a problem with parking then it is not a problem.

I was also informed that you have to tell your house insurance agents because of contents and the fact that part of your property is being used for business apparently.

yayayayayayayaya hip hip horay, I HAVE WON THE BATTLE OF THE ROOM, hubby has said YES i can have it as a salon, i think this thread helped, omg i cant wait to get going with it, ive been praying for this and i got it, no more draging all my stuff in my poor little car:D :D :D :D i did have to agree we would have a tv in the bedroom though but that is a small price to pay

kalchis said:
yayayayayayayaya hip hip horay, I HAVE WON THE BATTLE OF THE ROOM, hubby has said YES i can have it as a salon, i think this thread helped, omg i cant wait to get going with it, ive been praying for this and i got it, no more draging all my stuff in my poor little car:D :D :D :D i did have to agree we would have a tv in the bedroom though but that is a small price to pay

Yippeeee!!! Good for you hon,see a little nagging does them no harm & puts them in their place!LOL

Louise x

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, ISN'T HE A SWEETIE, SEE THEY CAN'T PUT UP WITH NAGGING TO LONG, I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH TV IN BEDROOM TOO. XX :D :D

Well done you! :) ooooh now you can have fun desiging and doing your new studio.

i've got a tv in the bedroom and i've put one in my nailroom too (its only little and discreet lol) so i can catch up on progs I miss at other times and for when i am practicing ...

oh this gets better, he said i can also have £1000 to do it all up, i can hear the shops calling

OH MY GOD, YOU LUCKY THING. TELL HIM HE CAN HAVE SOUND SURROUND SYSTEM FOR BEDROOM, ONE GOOD TURN DESERVES ANOUTHER..:D

lol, he is soooooooooooooo sweet and has done loads to support me, if hes good he can have another pedicure, i was going to spend the day doing housework tomarow but instead im off to homebase to get colour charts etc, i want lilac and lemon as my colour scheme, i also want to have a small sink basin put in there, oh my im full of ideas now

Latest posts

Back