Which type of extension?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhoniebunnyx

Hair, Beauty and SPMU
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I've searched but not found the right thread...

I'm a qualified hairdresser and would like to train in hair extensions but dont know which method to go for?

I'm familiar with micro ring application so I kind of know how these work but I dont know the best method to do a course in as some people prefer glue in or pre bonded.

How do I decide which course type to do?

Please help!!!:o

Can you afford to train in a few methods? You can then offer the client to choose or mix methods to make finer hair look thicker and blend more than using just 1 method xoxo

I could probably do more than one method eventually but I think I can only afford to start with one at the moment. Is one type better for length and another for volume then?

Gosh I'm so confused!!:cry:

I must add that my clients would be looking for mid range in price x

Hi geeks,

I've searched but not found the right thread...

I'm a qualified hairdresser and would like to train in hair extensions but dont know which method to go for?

I'm familiar with micro ring application so I kind of know how these work but I dont know the best method to do a course in as some people prefer glue in or pre bonded.

How do I decide which course type to do?

Please help!!!:o

The cheapest is the weave. You braid the natural hair with some additional hair and then sew the rest of the additional weft into the braid. Now on Caucasian hair types the braid will slip, that’s why additional hair is needed in the braid. :) It’s cheaper than any other.

There are lots others, micro-rings, pre tipped, keratin bonds etc.

Here is a video of the process.

Weaving hair extensions - YouTube

The cheapest is the weave. You braid the natural hair with some additional hair and then sew the rest of the additional weft into the braid. Now on Caucasian hair types the braid will slip, that’s why additional hair is needed in the braid. :) It’s cheaper than any other.

There are lots others, micro-rings, pre tipped, keratin bonds etc.

Here is a video of the process.

Weaving hair extensions - YouTube

Thank you bbh salon, the video is great! I forgot to mention that I have done the weave method. I'm interested in the individual extensions.... Sorry i'm being a pain! I'm deciding between prebonded or micro ring really, just unsure of the pros and cons. Perhaps I should start another thread and be a bit CLEARER! doh!:o

Thank you bbh salon, the video is great! I forgot to mention that I have done the weave method. I'm interested in the individual extensions.... Sorry i'm being a pain! I'm deciding between prebonded or micro ring really, just unsure of the pros and cons. Perhaps I should start another thread and be a bit CLEARER! doh!:o

Not at all, your being through and that’s a good thing :D

Micro Ring:
Pros
-Relatively easy to add
-No heat of glue which have the potential to damage your hair.
-Easy to remove and adjust the extensions
-Provide a natural look and a virtually undetectable

Cons
-Rings are detectable if you have very short hair (a few inches)
-If you want extensions for just one night, clip ons would be the better option.
-Not recommended if you have easily breakable hair.
Here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sioMBxf2Swg

Pre Bonded Extensions:
Pros
1. Pre-bonded hair extensions are usually the most distinct (depending largely on the application processes).
2. They're long lasting, this means that for six months you can have brilliant and thick hair every day.
3. They're comfortable to conserve if you have the correct instructions. With a little additional TLC (and hinging on the bond) there is no different way of taking care of your extensions than your natural hair. No new products or techniques. You just have to treat your extensions much the same way as you treat your natural locks of hair.

Cons
1. Most of the people think that they can apply the extensions on their own. And end up damaging their natural hair in the process. It is advised that you should always visit a professional technician who has experience in this field.
2. This is a very lengthy and tiring process. The process can take more than four hours to get completed, depending on the amount of extensions an individual is taking.
3. Most of the pre bonded hair extensions are applied using "glue guns" which are messy and involves a very lengthy process.
4. Most of the fusion hair extensions are made up of polymers which are founded on petroleum or glue adhesives - these are not simpatico with the human hair and may cause unneeded harm.
Another Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxO8kVqvE4k

WOW!! Thank you BBH! This is a great help.

I'll have a good look at these video's.

Thank you sooooo much for the pro's and con's, this is just what I am looking for.

You are a star!:hug:

I would probably go with someone like raccoon or balmain as they only train hairdressers and have some great courses that cover all and you can use the method with other hair as well web though they recommend their own of course.

Latest posts

Back