Who's the boss?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleila

Reaction score
Well I am a self-employed nail teh hiring a space in a hair salon....just a quiestion. Has the owner of the salon got any right to tell me when to be in the salon and what to do when I am not there? I just don't think thats fair as I am not her employee.Am I wrong?

i had a self employed nail tech and she was hardly there even though we agreed mon-fri. she maybe came in for an hour.
it caused a problem for us as she was never there when she'd be and we would tell clients to come on that day she was in and she would never be there.
or if a customer came in we'd have to say she wernt in even thought we she was supposed to be and it didnt look good for us.

we never told her what days to be there but she told us but was never there on those days..

maybe she feels your missing out on clients etc if your not there

Last edited:
Its sometimes a question of degrees, renters sign a contract with me agreeing to follow our code of conduct in the salon and abide by salon rules. I dont set any working hours for renters but they are restricted by my opening hours.
Is there a breakdown in communications with you and the salon owner? she may think that she is trying to help you.
Do you only go in when you have bookings? Maybe she is aware of how much passing trade and on-spec clients you are missing out on?
Maybe she is not used to having non-employees around, and is used to micro managing people.
If you are her first renter I would suggest that you gently but firmly state that you are self employed and not one of her staff, and that you would like to run your business your way whilst upholding the wider ettiquettes of the salon.

I have the same problem. I also rent a room within a hairdressers and i only go in if i have treatments this way i can work late at night if a client books in rather than be sat in a room with no clients all day only to get a booking 8 at night and be sick as a chip after being in the salon all day. I take my own bookings and have business cards and price lists in the salon. The good thing about my services is that a client can ring and have any day and any time they want and i wouldn't be able to offer that if i sat in the beauty room set hours hoping someone will walk in and have a treatment. If you have business cards and price lists in the salon your clients should be able to pick them up and book in an appointment thus you will be there to do their treatment. Thats how i see it anyway

Approx 25% of clients in both my salons walk in on spec. If nobody can do their treatment, they are either gonna go to another salon or say they will return and dont. Personally I would think renting a room and only turning up when there is a booking a bit odd. The point of renting a room in a salon is to benefit from the salon clientele and become their regular therapist/tech i would have thought. Still, as long as your happy paying the rent agreed, then its not really the salon owners problem.

Maybe your right, maybe i should sit in the room for full days. I have done this before and found i didn't get much work but i suppose if im there set days and times clients will know when they can just walk in. I've been looking into getting a laptop with mobile broadband so at least if im not busy i can do other work instead. Thanks for that post it has made me look at things differently

I can see both sides to this.I do think with beauty you get a lot more walk-ins, but I do holistics and stick to appointments only. My clients book an appointment, I turn up for it. I don't sit in my treatment room waiting for a walk-in, although I have tried it a few times and I just resented it.

My clients have my business card and if they want a treatment on spec they ring my mobile, I then jump in the car and do their appointment, it works well for me.

My receptionists ring me straight away if someone wants to talk to me and again that helps with communication.

If I offered waxing and/or nails I probably would expect walk-ins.

Approx 25% of clients in both my salons walk in on spec. If nobody can do their treatment, they are either gonna go to another salon or say they will return and dont. Personally I would think renting a room and only turning up when there is a booking a bit odd. The point of renting a room in a salon is to benefit from the salon clientele and become their regular therapist/tech i would have thought. Still, as long as your happy paying the rent agreed, then its not really the salon owners problem.

I think you should arrange some times when you will be there and clients can meet you. I agree that it looks odd if only turning up for a booking. I have also felt bored when renting rooms in the past but I would suggest that you spend a few hours a day when you are around - after all you are renting a room - get the most from it. I am not sure though that it is not the salon owners problem as it reflects on the salon and the type of service they are offering. :)

If a therapist is paying the owners a %, then of course, the owners have to make a profit. Why else would they be renting the space out. They are in business to make a profit. They need to cover their overheads.

If a therapist is paying rent, then that's slightly different. However, the salon owner shouldn't be left in a position where where they are constantly telling clients every day that they don't know when the tech is in.

I rent a room and I don't do walk-ins because I get fully booked with appointments. Also, I don't advertise or have anything on the front of the salon to say I'm there, so the owners are not bothered by walk-ins asking when I'm there. I make all my own appointments, so I don't inform the owners when I'm there or not as it doesn't matter to them.

There was a nail tech in the salon that I work from and she just didn't get it. She had a big flashing sign on the window, leaflets everywhere, but had hardly any clients. So, she decided that it wasn't worth her while being there much when she could be at home (what????). So nobody knew when she was going to be there. She worked on % basis and couldn't grasp that if she wasn't there working, the salon owners weren't making any money from her. I know it sounds harsh but the overheads for salon owners are crazy and the renter needs to appreciate what they're getting for a relatively small outlay for no real committment.

I think you need to decide which way you want to run your business and have a chat with the salon owner so you're both clear on how you're going to do this. xxx

it does reflect on the salon if the tech is never there or only on appointments as we did get walk ins for our old nail tech and never knew when she would be there.

The other thing to keep in mind that clients may not know/care that you're self employed and not a "salon employee", it reflects badly on the salon if a tech is never available, to the point where clients may think that the entire salon is the same. If that makes sense?

Also, even if you're around in the salon, you might get more clients (regular ones), which means more £'s for you...no bad thing! :)

Rather than sitting around in the salon when your not working, Its a great idea to do complimentary shape and varnish for the colour clients (big spenders) then at least you can chat, give nail advice, and meet your potential clients.

I own a nail and beauty salon and am looking for a nail tech to come in and be there on a thursday and friday. We are turning away nails business on those days and so want someone self employed to come in and take the overflow of business but are struggling to find anyone willing to commit to coming in even if they have no bookings. We get walk ins and although I can see why they dont want to be there twiddling their thumbs, I cant understand why they wont come in and take a chance.

If you are not there, then you'll definately not get clients, but if you are there, then you might get clients and thats a risk well worth taking I think.

I sit in my salon even when we have a morning of no bookings, (just in case) and often it pays off and if not, then the salon gets an extra good clean!

Tigi

Hi
Thought I add my opinion! I am renting a table in a salon on a % basis. I think the salon owner has a right to expect you to be there at agreed times, how else are they going to be able to book you clients? I go to work if I have clients or not, Its my business and you have to be there to build clients. I go out delivering leaflets if its quiet, or welcome clients to the salon and chat to them about what I offer! I sometimes leave before the shop closes, but only after there is not time to finish a walk in! I will oftern come in when I am not ment to be there, if someone wants an appointment also.
I feel that it important to help out the other staff and be part of the salon, I tidy and make clients drinks when they are busy.

I do also think that as a self employed tech you should get a say in certian things, I think the owner should ask your opinion when it comes to bank hol opening for example...I'm not saying I should make the descison just be part of it! The promotions that I offer are my descision. Sorry for the waffle! got a bit carried away! :)

OH Pink Orange, I wish I could find another you!!! xx

me too!!! Fancy coming to London?

Ah..ta! I would love to work in London, but it wouldn't be possible yet...I am commited to building myself a client base and reputation in my home town first...it's where I can always come back to! Lisa the salon owner has been so fab I wouldn't want to leave yet but maybe in a couple of years! :)

Latest posts

Back