work experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipsntoes

Reaction score
i have just been asked if i minded taking on a girl who is in her last year of school but no longer wants to go due severe bullying over the last year or so. i have said yes as this girl came to me for her one weeks work experience in june.

i was just wondering what sort of things i would be able to with her and should i put together some sort of training booklet.

any suggestion will appreciated

katie

Hi

As you probably dont want to start forking out money for her training, why not get her into nail art? It's easy to do and you dont really need training to do it.
HTH

X

she will going to college three days a week and to me two days but i want to help her the best i can but just dont know how (f that makes sense)

katie

Just watching another nail tec helped me loads, also her explaining thing as she went so i new why she was prepping what would happen if she didnt ect. Thats a good place to start HTH X

Thank You. I WAS THINKING MAYBE SET UP A TRAINING MORNING SO SHE CAN LEARN THE BASICS.

Katie

Thats a great idea.......it will give her some of her confidence back after the bullies knocked it out off her. I would also give her feedback on what she is doing and how she improving to give her some self esteem.

David

tipsntoes said:
Thank You. I WAS THINKING MAYBE SET UP A TRAINING MORNING SO SHE CAN LEARN THE BASICS.

Katie

should i get her clients in (obvisiouly not straight away) if i do should i get feedback off them.

katie

How about doing a brainstorm, ie, put together a list of things that spring to mind then pick out the ones you think that will really help her and take it from there!
Sit down have a cuppa and put something together, lol!

dont forget insurance!!! She obv wont be insured and i think it costs a bomb to insure students!

If you work in a shop/home salon does the Law state you have to have insurance..? I only ask as i no a tec near me never qualified and doesn't have insurance.
Katelisa said:
dont forget insurance!!! She obv wont be insured and i think it costs a bomb to insure students!

i guess so. what would happen if she got sued?

Im guessing she would be liable herself...?

Geeg can you let us know..!

Treatment liability is not mandatory, and I'm not even sure if public liability is (where's my M2/M74 knowledge when you need it!), but employers liability is. However when I looked into taking on a trainee they could only perform treatments if they were supervised by someone who was qualified, the insurance premium did not go up.

I would put her on a training scheme. Start with the basics, customer skills, keeping the salon clean and tidy, then move onto reception duty, answering phones, booking appointments, it's a really responsible job. Then move onto treatments as she learns them in college.

Aren't people awful, I hate bullies, but what goes around comes around and they'll get there's and some!

when she came on work experience in june she was covered by my insurance so i think she will be still covered but i am going to check with the insurance company

thank you for all your help

katie

Maybe teach her how to correctly polish &allow her to polish nails to start off with. You could always maybe design a little evaluation sheet for your clients to leave any comments. Also maybe get her to sit with you when filling out client records so she starts to get to know your clients. I would have loved an opportunity like this when i had just left school.

HTH Louise x

What an amazing opprtunity! I used to look through the job pages for something like this when I was younger and would've killed for it! I'd like to do this for someone when im up and running!!

I have to agree i would have loved this when i left school. I think its great that you are doing this for her and all the ideas on how to start are great. You will definetly get her confidence back! good luck.

i want to try and help people get the experienced that is needed, because i never had that chance.
i am also a trained hairdresser but have never worked in a hairdressers, i never got the chance to prove to people that i could do the job because everyone i went to just turned me down saying i didnt have enough experience (they needed five years or more in salon experience) in fact i am still waiting to here from two of them and thats from three years ago (dont think i got the job).

so i just want to help those people who might find it difficult elsewhere.
katie

Well i think you are doing a great thing. I always read experience required in advertisements, but how do you gain that experience if no one takes you on. One day when i am very experienced i hope to do the same.

Latest posts

Back