Working as a mobile hairdresser in nursing homes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoshoes

Reaction score
Hi salon geeks,as you read from the title I am a mobile hairdresser not been long mobile but have been over 25 yrs salon based. I was hoping that someone might give me some advice on working in a nursing home or residential home did you find it beneficial? The reason I ask I have applied for a position in a nursing home,they sent me via email what was needed ie liability insurance ,which I have ,qualifications which I have, and I have to be crb checked which I have to pay for £56, but they also sent me a set pricelist which seemed very low in what I would normally charge and I have to invoice for payment.I am a little bit dubious especially having to chase people for payment.I would be very grateful for any feedback please :rolleyes:

I'm not a hairdresser but I do nails in a nursing home and they also have a hairdresser who comes in one day per week. She invoices the home for payment, stating who had what and how much it costs. The home then collects the money from the residents, or it is added to their monthly account. I get paid directly by the nursing home too but not until 4 weeks after I've invoiced them. :rolleyes:

Hi, I've just started in a nursing home I'm mobile... Once a week had to do same as you ( didn't have to pay for my crb they covered the cost ).
They had a previous hairdresser and they would like to keep them prices (pretty low for me ).
I don't mind charging a little less as they have a little room for me and I can do a few cuts while doing perm / set , I'm just seeing how it goes for a couple of weeks xx

I used to go to a nursing home every few weeks, so the residents just had cuts. They didn't request that I was crb checked or anything. I charged a little less that normal, because I would so quite a few at once. It started to be more hassle than it was worth though as they couldn't tell me how many people needed doing so I'd end up booking a few hours out of my day to turn up and only a couple wanted doing! Was a waste of time so I stopped doing it. This was probably due to lack of organisation though, but it just seemed to be too much hassle for me. Also, a couple of times they didn't have the money from the residents so they had to owe me it the next time!
The home you are dealing with though sounds to be a lot more organised so it may be worth it to you. x

When I very first started out I did manicures in a nursing home. It was really good to start with, the manger was very organised, lined up 12 ladies a week for me at least( I went in 2 mornings a week) they didn't pay much, granted, but it was good first experience. The office staff paid me on the mornings I was there.

Then the manager left, a new manager came in and for me it went to pot. The office staff said getting the relatives to pay was a pain for them. Relatives apparently didn't want their relatives ' frittering thier inheritance away on manicures'. So the office got worse and worse at paying me.

I was going around the home myself trying to get residents to have Thier nails done, which is all wrong, so I left. I wouldn't do a residential home now because the pay is poor, but it's good if you are starting out just for the experience.

The hairdresser I work with at our salon, goes to a home and does just the gents hair once a month on Mondays. She doesn't do the ladies there as it would take for ever. She normally gets around 12 -15 men each time, so make a fair bit in a morning.

Latest posts

Back