Working from home...time???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just asking for any advice from your own experiences pleaseeeee!!!

Am starting to work as a mobile but also from home, but as i am a mum to a very demanding little boy aged 13months i am limited to time. I am free in an evening after 7 (as baby is in bed) & all weekend ( as hubbie is at home). Do you think clients will understand this as at the mo it is all i can offer!

Any of your advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Louise x

hi louse you will find alot of your clients who work would want evening appointments, also if you are available to go to your clients houses in the evening the ones with children will benefit too,
majority of mine are after hours and i do have a few ladies who have morning appointments but a lot of my clients do work.
you are offering what most salons arent evenings and saturdays and sundays.... i dont see it as a problem
good luck

Hi,
I did exactly that until recently and it worked out quite well. Most clients actually prefer later appointments or at the weekends as they work during the week.

Its extremely hard work though and by the end of an evening appointment I'd be exhausted. Especially in the early days when a full set would take me about 3 hours. After a while I found it very stressful trying to get my 2 boys to bed in time (and for them to stay there!). My husband works abroad mon to fri so I had no help.

Now my eldest is in school and my youngest in nursery I only do evening appointments when I absolutely have to and weekends are a no no unless its pre arranged for a regular client. I've lost a few clients as a result but I really felt like I had to change things for my own sanity.

Gave up the mobile side after a while too and just worked from home. I found carting everything around really knackering for no extra money. I have a couple of occassional clients who are ill whom I still visit though.

It was a great way to get loads of experience initiallyand I'm glad I did it. I open a small salon later this month.
HTH

emmad said:
Most clients actually prefer later appointments or at the weekends as they work during the week.

Its extremely hard work though and by the end of an evening appointment I'd be exhausted.

I totally agree, but it is worth it! I have a 'proper job' Monday to Wednesday daytime, and do all my other treatments at the end of the week and in the evenings. Once you have built up a regular clientele you could try and fit them into say 3 or 4 evenings, and have one evening off with the family. And before you know it little boy will be at preschool or school and you can start doing different hours.

This is my position exactly Louise except my boy is 16 months now. I have set up a home salon (sort of, a quarter of my dinning room with all my nail equipment and soon to be getting room dividers so to make it more private). I am working only evenings and weekends but when I can be assured of 2 or more clients during any one day I will put my baby into the nursery, he currently only goes one day a week (to let me work in an adminsitration job which I have done for 12 years and it gives me a welcome break from him - he's getting so demanding!).

As I am not needing the nails as a secure income at the moment I feel I can afford to take things slowly and build up my education and experience.

I think your clients will understand, there is certainly a market for evening appointments and coming to you should give them a feeling of relaxation away from their 'rat race' at home .... rat race - you know what I mean ' hum drum' maybe a better saying... oh humm...

Best of luck!

I worked for a short while in a salon then thought i would go mobile and do it from home to free up time ... but I found that I hated carting all the stuff round too for mobile adn had a really painful back for it so I just work from home now and find that lots of clients really prefer evenings and weekends as they work during the day and cant get to a salon in the day anyway.
Take care and good luck in what you decide :hug:

My personal experience is that clients don't really care about time once they are happy with your work and you can fit them in.
I still work part-time with 2 boys. So appointments are from 5:30 pm Tuesday to Friday (college Mondays) and all day Saturday. Don't do Sundays.

I am sure they'll be happy with what you have to offer! Goodluck!

I am sure it will be fine when I set up at home I will be working evenings as I still have a 22 month old baby at home with me all day.

I have talked to many people and they have said when I am ready to let them know as they work all day and would love there nails done in the evnings.

My hubby will be home then and can take care of the childrens needs and I can have time down in the Nail Cellar with my clients.

Caz xxx

Thanx all for your helpful suggestions.I am just in the process of finishing of the remainder of my leaflets so after that hopefully roll on clients!

Just another question though, as i only live in a small 2 bedroom terreced (can't spell that one!!!) house i am obviously limited to space,so at the moment i am performing my treatments from my kitchen table, do you think this is ok?

Louise x

Iam in a similar position to you where I have an 11 month old boy and I am limited to doing so many days depending on what shift my hubby is on. I've chosen to keep on my best clients for now who all understand what I can and can't do. At the moment this really suits me as it means I can still be a full time mum and keep my hand in doing nails when it suits me.

HTH

louise said:
Hi all,

Just asking for any advice from your own experiences pleaseeeee!!!

Am starting to work as a mobile but also from home, but as i am a mum to a very demanding little boy aged 13months i am limited to time. I am free in an evening after 7 (as baby is in bed) & all weekend ( as hubbie is at home). Do you think clients will understand this as at the mo it is all i can offer!

Any of your advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Louise x

Latest posts

Back