working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caz3

Reaction score
Hello,
Would all of you that work from home maybe help me out a little.

I would like to work from home I have the room to do this which is good.

I would like to know who I have to contact if I am going to work in my own house.

I have the beauty Direct insurance which covers the client once they are in the treatment room. I phoned The Guild Insurance and they said that there cover only starts once the client is in the treatment room.

I really do need some help on this one as I have heard all sorts like I have to contact the council and may have to pay businesses tax for the room that I am using I only want this to be a small part time job as my husband wage is our main wage.

please answer what you can all the girls that are working from home it will be a great help.

Thanks Carolyn xxx

Hi Carolyn,

I recently started working from home. I've had my basement converted into a treatment room. As far as I know your local council only need to be notified if you' re carrying out piercing or electrolysis, but may need to see you plans for conversions. I also notified my home insurance company and although I am covered for people coming into the home for business purposes they did suggest changing our household policy to a company like NFU Mutual (www.nfumutual.co.uk). I have my public liability insurance through BABTAC....so I'm pretty much covered all round.

Hope this helps with some of your questions.

Hello Sarah,
Thanks for this I am also going to work in the cellar we have two large rooms down there in the front room is a large new window that opens like a door so anyone can exit from this is need be. In the back room I have had the window taken out and had a back door fitted that goes out to the garden this the room I will be working in you can get to it either by the back entrance of the house through the garden and down steps into the cellar or through my front door and through a door that is in the hallway.
Yes I will have the public liability with Beauty Direct which covers me when they reach the treatment room, and I will also contact my insurance to tell them I have this. I did my house insurance the other week and asked but they said that my own house insurance would not cover if somone came into my house for a treatment that they were paying for! They told me to phone a broker which I did and they seemed to thing that as I was covered with Beauty Direct for the treatments and if the client say fell off the chair that it would be my house insurance that would cover them for walking through the house so I am back where I started!
I will look at that website you sent me later thanks for this.
I am called the Nail Cellar hence where I am working! It is nice to meet someone who also works in the cellar/basement!
Carolyn.

Hope it all goes well for you in your cellar......we lovingly refer to mine as the dungeon......on account of all the hooks we found it the walls when we moved in :eek:. Doesn't bare thinking about!!

do you have to have planning permission to work from home, or something to do with 'change of use'? also does the council tax go up as you are running a business from home?

OKay "officially" the three places you should inform are:

COUNCIL - it varies very much from Council to Council as to how they interpret the rules. My local council said it all comes down to the amount of vehicular and pedestrian traffic coming to and from your property as a result of your business. The wasy they interpreted it was more than about 6 people a week was deemed as business use and they would have to apply business rates to the part of the property I did nails in. This was the kitcehn/diner, so it doesn't matter if you still use the same area for private use too.

MORTGAGE - you need to inform them that you are running a business from home as this may affect your mortgage rates

INSURANCE - household insurance does not cover any clients on your property. I struggled to find a company that would give me the correct cover.

It's for all the aggro of the above that I decided to rent space in a salon!!

Woah! Hadn't realised the number of clients was so low to tip you over into business rates - that's a shocker!

thanks for the info xxx

Like I say, it varies greatly from Council to Council. Fareham seem to be great at interpreting everything to the nth degree though!!!!

Latest posts

Back