Working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodmarie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice if possible. I have recently bought my own property and I have an integral garage which was partially converted into a play room. Since moving in, I now use it as a salon and I have a builder coming later today to give me a quote to convert the room fully (remove garage door, separate entrance, central heating etc)

I would like to do everything properly so I was just wondering how I go about telling my mortgage company and council etc? Can they say no? Have any of you previously been refused? What happens then?

You would never know from my property that there is a salon inside as it is integral and I would not be having signs or anything. Parking is also not an issue as I have a drive and plenty of space outside my house.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you

To take the garage door off and so full conversion you'll probably need planning permission depending on the council. You'll also need council permission/license depending on treatments you offer to run the salon from there and yeah you'll need to ask your mortgage company for permission to run a business from home.

Both the mortgage company and council can say no.

If the mortgage company say no, I say you're fairly stuck unless you move your mortgage elsewhere and if the council say no, there are appeal procedures but could be an uphill struggle.

Just because you have a drive doesn't necessarily mean the council won't mark it down as a problem. Neighbours for example may not want people coming and going.

Latest posts

Back