working in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looby4444

Reaction score
hi

im just wondering, what happens when you go to work in a salon and they practice different methods to u? for example when i have finished my creative training ill be looking for salon work but am worried that some salons can be pretty slack with the way they do nails and the products.

my friend works in a salon and i was asking her what it was like and she said dont worry, when u go work in a salon they'll just ask u to use white tips cos that what all clients ask for. im worried that i wont be good enough for really good salons but too good for poor salons. is it just a case of adapting your own skills to what the salons uses?

if salons have a creative sticker does this recommend that the standard of nails will be good?

lou xxx

Lou, many salons will be slack and many will be 'tight' you need to find the salon that suits you:) ...ask the right questions when investigating where you're going to apply to....as far as finishing your Creative training is concerned, there will be salons who would be prepared to take a newbie on and give them loads of support and further training:) , as we do:) :) :) , however, they tend to be in the minority, people are looking for experience (cart before the horse syndrome!) so you need to get as much practice as poss, maybe after a few weeks of parctice, practice, practice a couple of hours of 1 to 1 and then you should be ready to CONFIDENTLY work in a salon and talk about 'white tips' as an alternative to the many other ways of doing nails and be able to give the client what they want as opposed to what the nail tech can only do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Sadly, if a salon has a Creative sticker it does not mean that they are 'good' or 'better' than others....you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.....:rolleyes: as a Creative Educator I had the experience recently of finding out from a student on one of my courses that her nail tech (also trained by me and who had recommended her to come to me for training) was flaunting every rule in the book ESPECIALLY PREP:twisted: ...I was so dissapointed as this girl received the best of training and passed her course with flying colours... I will attempt to resolve this situation but it shows there are people who will never be GOOD techs or run GOOD salons because their primary motivation is short term speed and profit and they will never be there for the long-haul...

fortunately this is rare but does happen, I hope you never have experience of a BAD salon yourself and I wish you good luck in all you do, Fiona

Latest posts

Back