Would you get involved with this???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bekster123

Reaction score
Evening everyone...

This new school year my daughter has a new teacher to the school & when she arrived i noticed that she wore long french extensions... my daughter had mentioned to her that 'my mummy does those nails' but nothing further has ever been said.... however... tonight it was parent/teacher interviews so i managed to get a really good, close look at these nails... OH MY GOD :Scared::Scared: :eek: ...
Clearly MMA because they are milky but the worst thing is she has MAJOR & i mean MAJOR fungal/bacterial infections on at least 6 of her nails- on some, practically the whole nail plate is a greeny/brown in colour (hard to tell exactly because the nails are milky).

We have an NSS salon in Exeter :evil: & i could bet a million squids that is where she is getting them done because all the nails i have seen in Exeter from professional salons are of a much higher standard. :biggrin:

Now do i go ahead & let her know how serious this is or stay schtum?? :|
As she's my daughter's teacher & not one of my clients i don't want to appear like a nosy mother of one of her pupils. I think i would also feel a little uncomfortable just bringing up the subject. :o

I am on the school PTA & i know she is too, we have a meeting tomorrow evening so if i am going to say anything i could do so then. :eek:

What do you all think i should do??

Mucho love :Love:

IMO you'd be doing your duty as a responsible nail tech by giving her advice and helping her, she can take it one of two ways, either as you being a pushy tech who wants her business OR a really lovely helpful nail tech who has the health of peoples nails at heart regardless as to whether their her clients or not.

I'd tell her Becki, in a tactful way, but she needs to know as soon as possible.

ooooooh tough one, i think it depends how subtle you are! if you can say it in the right way go for it, its how to say it thats the problem.

I think i'd give her a leaflet(even if you just printed one off for her)that informs clients a little about nails and a buisness card and say "just in case you're interested"that way it will give her something to read and you can "style it out" a bit.

I think you should say something! It's up to her what she decides to do, but at least you know you have done your duty to let her know that there is something not right going on.

I also think you should say something. I mean, if her nails are in as bad a state as you say they are she really shouldn't take offence.

By the way what is nss?

tell her maybe in the form of a leaflet and tell your not after her busienss and tell her youc an fin her a another tech if she is interested that way you ahvent pushed yourself on her.

Yes I agree, I'd defo say something, I think it would be fine as long as you manage to do it in a tactful way. I'm sure she'll realise you are only being helpful.

Definitely say something - if you educate her in what has been happening to her nails so far, she should understand AND appreciate it - she's a teacher!!! :biggrin:

Nice new avatar Mrs Geek!Very sexy!

louisenewell said:
Nice new avatar Mrs Geek!Very sexy!

I don't like to go off thread but thanks Lou - may I say here and now, that GMG changed my avatar without consulting me - he says she looks like the pic in my profile!! I think she looks a bit of a bitch compared to my last but I shall persevere with her for a while!! :Scared: OMG maybe I look like a bitch in my profile - that image needs updating BIG TIME!!! :rolleyes: :smack:

Thank guys, don't get me wrong i DO want to say something... it's just knowing how to word it...i can't just approch her in the class before lessons & say 'hey by the way Mrs Roberts do you realise you have serious fungal infections under you're nail enhancements' She'd prob tell me to bog off- I'd imagine it can be embarrassing for her, for another tech to tell you your nails are crap especially when it comes to your pupils mum.. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable with me telling her something like that... she luurves her nails

How do i start the conversation?

:Love:

maybe something like.... my daughter said she'd told you I was a nail technician, well please don't take this the wrong way but I noticed your nails (the way I notice everyones nails) and I believe you have a bacterial/fungal infection which could be caused by xyz.....
gauge her feelings by her reply and take it from there.
once you're talking about her nails you're on 'home ground' as it's what you know about :)

bekster123 said:
Thank guys, don't get me wrong i DO want to say something... it's just knowing how to word it...i can't just approch her in the class before lessons & say 'hey by the way Mrs Roberts do you realise you have serious fungal infections under you're nail enhancements' She'd prob tell me to bog off

How do i start the conversation?

:Love:

Well let's call it a bacterial infection (which is a greenie) not fungal. Here is what I would say... ready :)

"Mrs Roberts, sorry to bother you but I couldn't help noticing the other night at parents evening, that you have your nails done. I hope you don't think me rude but I couldn't help noticing that your nails look like they need some love and serious attention..."

OK now wait and see what she says (100% it is something along the lines of 'Oh God, they are a nightmare - not sure what to do etc') and then you come back with -

"Look I am a trained professional and I guarantee you I can get your nails back into tip top shape - give me a chance - I won't let you doen and I promise not to discuss my daughter with you whilst we 'play'"!!!

Get in there - I can feel her as your client already!! :Love:

Mrs Geek said:
IGMG changed my avatar without consulting me - he says she looks like the pic in my profile!! I think she looks a bit of a bitch compared to my last but I shall persevere with her for a while!!
Samantha...there are a couple of 'aspects' of this new profle that are so you...and she looks a little more sassy too, I like her!!! :Grope:

Back to the post in question. I would have to tell her...I decided to educate a creche worker at one of my classes recently, I couldnt stop myself from putting her right when I heard her saying to another girl 'It does hurt when they make you bleed with the drill but I cant be without my nails, so its worth it to me' :eek:
Boy did I tell her!!!!
I dont work in her area but I would have told her even if I did!

Ok.. just had a word with my fella (even he noticed them himself!!!)- here's what we have come up with...

Mrs Roberts, I hope you don't think im being rude & interfering, Chloe has told me that she's mentioned to you that i'm a nail technician, but on Mon night at the parent interviews, i couldn't help but notice that alot of your nails have very serious bacterial infections underneath them...... & go from there

How do you think that sounds?

Anything you would add or leave out?

I think im worried more than normal because she's new, i know the other teachers.

just be careful not to alarm her with the bacterial infection part - that's why I didn't include it... get to that once you have her interested and positive!

Hiya, I would have to tell her yes...but personally I dont think I would say the "i couldn't help but notice that alot of your nails have very serious bacterial infections underneath them" but thats just me.

Id be more likely to say 'I noticed your nails & lovely though they are, I just wondered if you or your tech have noticed that you possibly have abacterial infection, under one or two of them'. I would then hand her some written info on the subject and tell her that if she needed any further assistance or advice to contact me....Thats how Id do it anyway.
Good luck whatever you say!!

Thanks Samantha :Love: ...

I do see where you are coming from ... but this lady adores her nails & is always getting comments from mums etc about them... i think if i said something even slightly negative (before i mention the bacterial bit) about them then she will get offended... not sure if i could get away with saying what you first posted- i think the bit about them needing some serious love & attention would insult her... if i mention the bacterial bit, atleast she will want to listen to what it is (I hope)

This is very tricky

Mrs Geek said:
Well let's call it a bacterial infection (which is a greenie) not fungal. Here is what I would say... ready :)

"Mrs Roberts, sorry to bother you but I couldn't help noticing the other night at parents evening, that you have your nails done. I hope you don't think me rude but I couldn't help noticing that your nails look like they need some love and serious attention..."

OK now wait and see what she says (100% it is something along the lines of 'Oh God, they are a nightmare - not sure what to do etc') and then you come back with -

"Look I am a trained professional and I guarantee you I can get your nails back into tip top shape - give me a chance - I won't let you doen and I promise not to discuss my daughter with you whilst we 'play'"!!!

Get in there - I can feel her as your client already!! :Love:

i did something like this the other day, this is what i said,

do you mind if i ask where you got your nails done?
in Leamington
Do you mind if i ask, were they chinese and did they speak english?
yes, they were chinese, and no they didn't speak english,
Did they use an electric file?
Yes, why?
Did it hurt?
Yes, all ten fingers hurt so much that i had to go home and take nurofen for a couple of days.

after that, it was easy. The woman was well up for listening. i told her i had trained with Creative and that i don't use drills because of the damage they can cause, that she should not be feeling pain like this, it's causing a friction burn and so on and so on. I told her i did not work near her but to change her salon pronto, and she was really grateful for the advice.

I bet this woman already knows something is wrong but does not know where else to go. So long as you are polite you won't have a problem, just ask a few questions and i bet she'll open up to you. She's probably dieing to change to a new tech.

Latest posts

Back