Yellowing Nails need some help and advise.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab

Reaction score
Hi Ya Everyone.

Really sorry to be a pain, but i know i could turn to you lot of here for some friendly help and advise.

Right i've been doing this ladies nails for months now and things have been brillient, she's been really happy and so have i. Anyways about 3 weeks ago she called me and said she noticed that her nails looked yellow. I said to her i'll come straight away and have a look, but luck would have it she was just around the corner from me at her friends so she popped in. When i looked i noticed that just one of her nails had a yellowie colour to it, so suggested that we soaked the set off, done a manicure and keep and eye on them. The client was happy for me to soak the nails off, but was going on holiday at the end of the week and didn't want to go away with no nails on!!! So i soaked the nails off and told her give it a day or two and i would do another set just before she went away, this i did.

She's just got back off holiday and called to say that although its been 3 weeks she has no lifting, but noticed that most of her nails are now yellowie in colour, she said she doesn't think its her nails she thinks its the product? I said to her that i will go and see her tomorrow, but i have the same product on my nails and use the same brush etc.. nothing different to what i use on her nails and mine are not yellow. I did ask all the usually questions, bleaching, sun beds hand creams nail varnishes etc.. and she said she has not used anything except her cuticle oil.

I've read a great deal of the post on here, but they all sound so different to what is happening here. I thought that if it was product contamination or the brush then surley mine would be yellow?

What should i say and do?

Could be a couple of things...which products are you using? Did you ask her if she used sun tan lotion whilst on holiday? Did she have fake tan applied? Is she a heavy smoker? If your brush is contaminated it would be the same on everyone...is the discolouraion on the surface, i.e.staining? does it disappear when you file? or is it all the way through the (l and p?)

What products are you actually using? to check your brush dip in monomer and wipe on a clean piece of couch roll. Has she been polsihign her nails and not using a base coat?

fiona wallace said:
Could be a couple of things...which products are you using? Did you ask her if she used sun tan lotion whilst on holiday? Did she have fake tan applied? Is she a heavy smoker? If your brush is contaminated it would be the same on everyone...is the discolouraion on the surface, i.e.staining? does it disappear when you file? or is it all the way through the (l and p?)

Hi

Thanks for replying.

I did give her the 3rd degree, Did she use this, did she do that like you do!!! But she said that she wished she had the chance to use sun cream, but too cold!!! Said shes given up smoking, Does'nt use Fake Tan. You know what clients are like though it would never be something they have done its always down to us!!!

I Have booked her in for Thursday as this is the earliest she can see me, so i will have a look to what degree the yellowing is then. I am currently using Alan Roys Nail products and never had a problem with it before. This is the first person that this has happened to. I was wondering whether i should try a different system or maybe another make of product, could it be that this product doesn't agree with the client?

scattyfox said:
What products are you actually using? to check your brush dip in monomer and wipe on a clean piece of couch roll. Has she been polsihign her nails and not using a base coat?

Hi Scattyfox

Thats for your reply.

I'm using Alan Roys products at the moment and really happy with there products.

I've dipped my brush in monomer and wiped clean on a lint free wipe and have no colour at all showing on the wipe.

I did ask her if she changed her varnish whilst she was away and she said the only thing she did was put a layer of clear on and her cuticle oil.

Could it be the clear top coat she used?

to be honest it could be a hormone thing as well, sometimes you just dont kno when these things are going to strike.

mamma said:
Could it be the clear top coat she used?

I was wondering this, as i did say to her some varnishes have been know to yellow. Her answer to that was "well i've used Sally Hansons products for years and its never done it before".

Well that was me told wasn't it.

scattyfox said:
to be honest it could be a hormone thing as well, sometimes you just dont kno when these things are going to strike.

I tell you what i'll email you her number and you can suggest it being hormone's. lmao :biggrin:

I've already been put in my place regarding all the questions, as she knows best and i know nothing, if you know what i mean.

Anyway i'm no where near brave enough to suggest or even ask the hormone question. lol :)

Food colourings can cause this too, especially indian food.

sounds to me like acrylic applied over acrylic without proper application or buffing prior (make sure the application surface of old acrylic is very clean and well buffed),...... also are you using primer ? if using primer only ever apply primer to the natural nail (never on old acrylic)

i was told that this could be due to not allowing the primer to dry before applying acrylic or another cause can be if she has recently started taking thyroxine, for underactive thyroid gland.

nailzoo said:
sounds to me like acrylic applied over acrylic without proper application or buffing prior (make sure the application surface of old acrylic is very clean and well buffed),...... also are you using primer ? if using primer only ever apply primer to the natural nail (never on old acrylic)

This was a new set of nails, so acrylic over acrylic is not the problem. I did use a primer, this is the same primer i use on all my clients and myself and not having the problems anywhere else.

I just cant seem to find out way, unless she is not telling me something!!!

jackiee said:
i was told that this could be due to not allowing the primer to dry before applying acrylic or another cause can be if she has recently started taking thyroxine, for underactive thyroid gland.

She reckons she not on any medication at all!!!

Sound to me like you have all your bases covered. Was it on all ten nails. IF it is could this mean it IS something YOUR doing. Does she use any hand creams at all, also what does she do for a living or could it be something she does for a hobbly. (She maybe a professional nosepicker in her spare time lol :eek: )

solarium ???????

Hi Everyone

I've just seen this client today, Finally she decided to turn up for her appointment.

I took her nail varnish off and shock horror, to my amasement there was nothing wrong with her nails at all. No yellow and a very small amount of lifting, good for just over 4 weeks.

I asked her why she phoned to say that her nails were yellow and that she thought it was the product rather than her nail? All i got was " well that just looked yellow, but i cant beleive there is nothing wrong with them". I had trouble getting the varnish off her nails as i was so thick and asked her what she had been putting on the nails, as last conversation with her she said nothing. Today she informed me that someone on the boat was trying to sell manicure products she put some cream on then a cuticle treatment, then was showing her different nail varnishes, the list went on.

I could of rung her neck, as i'd been thinking that it was something i'd done as when i asked her all the usual question all i got was no, not touched them, not used anything.....

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH What would we do with out them. lol

Thanks anyway everyone for all your help and advise.

Latest posts

Back